Well, as the title says, I can play fairly well sitting down. Then, I stand up and my picking goes to hell. Everything goes to hell actually. I can play ANYTHING no matter how hard I try.

Also, I've been thinking that I've been progressing greatly. Then, I put it on a clean channel and it's uneven volume wise. Any ideas? I think it might be because I'm holding the pick too close. Could this be why?

One more question. I play using Jazz III's and they are far too small but anything bigger sounds like crap to me. They scratch the strings and it becomes very annoying. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe Jazz III's XL's but nobody in my area has them so I can't try them. In fact, the closest GOOD music store with a nice selection of picks and such is about 90 miles away.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Just practice dude.
Play something sat down, then stand up & try, and keep trying till you get it.
Try ajusting your strap to a higher position too, that'll help.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Well, as the title says, I can play fairly well sitting down. Then, I stand up and my picking goes to hell. Everything goes to hell actually. I can play ANYTHING no matter how hard I try.
Just keep practicing standing up. The guitar should be positioned roughly the same both standing and sitting. This means you may have to shorten your strap.

Also, I've been thinking that I've been progressing greatly. Then, I put it on a clean channel and it's uneven volume wise. Any ideas? I think it might be because I'm holding the pick too close. Could this be why?
You need to practice controling your dynamics. This involves controlling where the pick is and how much force you use.

One more question. I play using Jazz III's and they are far too small but anything bigger sounds like crap to me. They scratch the strings and it becomes very annoying.
If you don't like the sound of bigger picks, dont use them. Sound is the most important thing, so get used to using Jazz III's.
In fact, the closest GOOD music store with a nice selection of picks and such is about 90 miles away.
Consider yourself lucky then.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
If you have your guitar at the same hight as when you sit down, when you are standing up with the strap then practice and it shouldn't be too difficult and if you must then you can gradually lower the strap so it is the right hight, i personally have my guitar quite high because that's how i play better and I go for sound over aesthetics on this. But it really depends on how you feel with it.
About not being able to find picks, try ordering them from musiciansfriend or something if there aren't any in your area. I know that sounds impractical for just picks, but if you really want new ones then buying them online might be something to try.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
I never practice sitting down anymore.
Sitting while playing feels uncomfortable to me and I can play alot more aggresively while standing.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Try practicing with your eyes closed (while sitting down).

Most likely you have become used to looking at the fretboard while you play, which is not easy to do when you stand up.

The next issue is your wrist. Sometimes standing results in bending the wrist to get the fingers into proper playing position.

For this, try practicing with your thumb on the middle of the back of the neck. Also play with your fingertips at a right angle to the fretboard. Both are traditional positions that many people bypass when playing guitars with thin necks.
Last edited by PRNDL at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by guitarist10

One more question. I play using Jazz III's and they are far too small but anything bigger sounds like crap to me. They scratch the strings and it becomes very annoying. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe Jazz III's XL's but nobody in my area has them so I can't try them. In fact, the closest GOOD music store with a nice selection of picks and such is about 90 miles away.

Make sure your guitar is at a reasonable height (hell, play it really high if you need to).
Start playing standing up as much as possible, no matter how bad it sounds, you'll get used to it. You wont get good at standing up if you only try it every once and a while, decide it sucks and sit down.

Don't really know what to tell you on uneven picking. Just try to stay consistent in how hard you hit the strings.
Holding the pick close is a good thing, and many guitar players swear by it, and advise it.

I play jazz III's and I didn't like their size at first, but once I got used to them, I love them. Normal picks feel like toneless pancakes.
the XL would sound good for you. I haven't tried them myself, though.
If you can't stand the small picks, I'd go ahead and invest in some XL's anyway and get them sent to you, if you don't like them, at least you tried.
Quote by guitarist10

as has been mentioned. Play standing up more. Ya get used to it.
shred is gaudy music
Your wrist is at an awkward angle when you stand up. Move your guitar up high and practice standing up every day. Gradually let the guitar down lower until it looks "cool."
Start with the guitar up high and as you get more comfortable gradually lower it.

Or if you're Tom Morello leave it up high
^ I second that i do the Morello (>_<

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
If you can't get the XLs, give the Stubby series a try (big or small, 1mm Red or 2mm Blue, clear plastic).
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
everyone has that problem, just gotta get used to playing standing. took me forever cause i lowered my straps to as far as they could go so there was a big difference on where the guitar was
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
If you can't get the XLs, give the Stubby series a try (big or small, 1mm Red or 2mm Blue, clear plastic).

I used the stubbies for a short time until I switched to Jazz III.
I found the stubbies annoying that they sloped. Also, they wear down as fast as a normal pick and you have a circle in no time.
The Jazz III's last so god-damned long. I've had the same one for months and it's still as sharp as the new one I have on standby. I love it. It's my perfect pick.
You don't have to worry about keeping a plethora of picks lying around the house or nearby at shows.
Quote by guitarist10

Your guitar is too low or too high. It should be at a point where you can play without bending your wrist, but still be relatively comfortable.

If your guitar is too low, your wrist will bend, making playing near impossible (unless your a pop-punker who is incapable of playing more than a few powerchords).

If your guitar is too high, you may not be able to tilt your guitar towards you. I've noticed I play best when theres some tilt on my guitar

Just remember that "looking cool" is for kids who've just started guitar and want to get laid.

I use 5 cent coins (about as big as a penny or a nickel) as picks. It's cheaper (jazz 3's are a dollar each here) and I never run out of picks, everyone always has a 5 cent coin.
Odd. I play better standing up
Though I do it the Morello way
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Well, I've come across another problem when I went down to 90BPM. I was trying to get better acuraccy and realized that, even that slow, I can't play worth sh*t...I've been try to cure this problem for so long now. I'm about ready to give up.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

[quote="

[/QUOTE"]
I find this is a common problem with beuginers. On the clean chanel the strength of yr strums effect the volume more. You just have to practise yul get steadier.
are you playing resting your guitar on your right leg? Try practicing with it on your left instead. That helps me a little.
Quote by guitarist10
Well, I've come across another problem when I went down to 90BPM. I was trying to get better acuraccy and realized that, even that slow, I can't play worth sh*t...I've been try to cure this problem for so long now. I'm about ready to give up.

Went down to 90bpm. From what, and what are you trying to play?

It's actually a fairly common problem people have though. Slowing something down doesn't actually make it easier. It simply gives you more space in which you can screw things up. That's why playing something slow is so much better practice than playing fast, and if it's not something you normally do, then it can be really difficult.

If you're going to play slow at like 90bpm or less, try setting the metronome to 180 instead, that way you get twice as many clicks, but you can still practice slowly like you would at 90bpm, it should help a lot, especially when you want to go even slower, like 70-80bpm.

Those Jazz III's are tough to use unless you've really got good control. I'd say what you really need to do is practice clean a lot more often, or if you really need to use distortion, use as little as you possibly can.
As far as playing clean goes, I think that playing with a clean tone forces you to be really dynamic. I prefer practicing this way (in general), and maybe getting a little bit of natural breakup here and there. But with that clean channel, it'll carry over to when you use distortion. Your playing will be much more dynamic. I'd also take up playing acoustic or classically, because being able to play acoustic guitar is equally as important as playing electric.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
i had thsi problem a while back too, then i realized that when im sitting down the guitar is a lot higher up compared to when im sitting, so i just shortened the strap up and its all good
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.