I have a MIM strat that I picked up in December. I went to play it today and the bridge pickup is so quiet that I can barely hear any sound coming out when I play it. The neck and middle pickups still work fine, but the bridge one is almost completely silent. What could cause this.
Last edited by jarryd2018 at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by jarryd2018
I have a MIM strat that I picked up in December. I went to play it today and the neck pickup is so quiet that I can barely hear any sound coming out when I play it. The neck and middle pickups still work fine, but the bridge one is almost completely silent. What could cause this.

i'm assuming you meant bridge? and i have no idea what would cause it
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
Loose connections probably.. all your knobs are on 10, right?

with everything turned up to 10, the neck and middle pickups sound fine, well ****ty through my equipment, but the bridge pickup is so quiet that I can barely hear it. Is there any way to check my connections without taking the strings off? I just put new ones on it a few days ago and I really dont feel like spending more money that I dont have to restring it again.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace that pickup but if that is the case, I'll just jam on my acoustic till I can afford a nice set of pickups.
Quote by jarryd2018
with everything turned up to 10, the neck and middle pickups sound fine, well ****ty through my equipment, but the bridge pickup is so quiet that I can barely hear it. Is there any way to check my connections without taking the strings off? I just put new ones on it a few days ago and I really dont feel like spending more money that I dont have to restring it again.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace that pickup but if that is the case, I'll just jam on my acoustic till I can afford a nice set of pickups.

Just unwind your strings. Its easy enough to put them back on the pegs and tune holding the tip with a pair of plyers, especially if you've got lots of winds round each pole.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Just unwind your strings. Its easy enough to put them back on the pegs and tune holding the tip with a pair of plyers, especially if you've got lots of winds round each pole.

thats one thing i suck at when stringing my guitars, I never seem to leave myself enough string on the end and dont get it wrapped around as many times as I should. I'll give it a shot though and see what happens, Its not like I can play it anyway so the worst that can happen is I have to buy pickups and new strings at the same time.

I think the problem may have happened a few nights ago when my house got struck by lightning. My guitar was still plugged into the amp and set on the bridge pickup at the time so I'm thinking a surge of power may have killed that pickup.
Now I just have to figure out what kind of pickups I want.
First, take a knife or something thin and metal, and tap the magnets on the pickups with the bridge pickup selected, and if you hear noise from the amp, the pickup is working, but not outputting what it should. If that's the case, take it to a shop, then can probably do something. A good set of pups will cost about 150 +, so check first, save the money

EDIT: If you do go new pups, I'd like to recommend Lace Sensors, they're amazing
It's probably a grounding wire that's broken off under the scratch plate / pickguard. Open it up and check it out next time you change strings. This has happened to me with my neck and middle pickups.