Hi there, just a few quick question for everyone here.

I have noticed that a few guitarists have strats for playing metal, but I always thought they were used more for blues and the likes. Does any strat work or only certain ones because I have always thought that single coils don't work well for metal. Thoughts? I just watched a Pro-Pain vid and they were using strat styke axes, plus I noticed that Andreas from Sepultura uses a strat style on lots of vids I have seen.

The reason I am asking is beacuse I though it might be cool to use one for real downtuned standard B tuning and such for Sep style tunes and the likes.

Thanks for any info.
It's possible with single coils, but your best shot is a stacked humbucker or a regular humbucker for metal tones.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
it might work if you used the active emg single coils, or i know duncan has stacked humbuckers that fit into single coil positions, but i doubt you can get any great metal sounds out of stock single coil pickups
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.

Works for them.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I realize that many metal guitarists have used them in the past, but I was thinking more along the lines of heavy and downtuned riffing, which Maiden is not exactly known for. Thanks for all the info so far, it has been helpful.
Quote by suffersystem
I realize that many metal guitarists have used them in the past, but I was thinking more along the lines of heavy and downtuned riffing, which Maiden is not exactly known for. Thanks for all the info so far, it has been helpful.

and metallica is?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
The guys who use strats for metal have definetly swapped out the pickups.

My strat is pretty much a Jackson now:

Nothing wrong with strats playing metal. Single coils have a nice "biting" sound to them and cut through the mix very easily. The only problem is the noise.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
screamin' demons are humbuckers that are single coil sized for strats, that'd be your best bet. i've heard they sound really good.
Quote by Yngwi3
*iron maiden*

Works for them.

Not as such, they all have either single coil sized humbuckers in the bridge or HSS strats so they're not really natural strats.

However, I happen to know that Jari from Wintersun used a tele, at least for a while even if he doesn't now so mull that over.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hot-Rod it and you have a solid metal axe right there...

And, with even more versatility.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Steel8909
Cool but turn down the music so we can here the playing lol

it was one of my first youtube videos, i didn't really know what i was doing.
i'll fix it in my next covers.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by mcrfobtai
With some buckers maybe. I'd imagine the single coils being noisy.

mine are.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Yngwie use a single coil strat and is sound is orgasimic and extremly high gain.

Get a noise gate.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu
.Get a noise gate.

+1

A noise gate plus smart use of the volume knob can tame any strat.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
it depends on what you're going to be playing
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
You will get a bit of noise but the benefits outweigh the problems

You get the clarity and note definition from single coils that really jump out. And the final tone can be quite heavy if you have the right amp for the job and some good EQing.
Just install a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge pickup. Viola! You now have a metal strat.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
It all depends on your style of metal and what tone you are going for. For me a strat wouldn't cut it. And I love the strat. They are damn good guitars and I plan on buying another strat in the future but I don't use it for metal. But I could see how some people might would like that tone.
I personally feel that the only guitars I can really dig in and shred on are SGs and Strats... these made-to-shred guitars just feel too, too, unnatural to me.
HSS Strats have a humbucker and two singles. I love how they sound.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦