I was looking at cabs and every good one is really expensive, go figure lol. I was just curious as to how much the wood used really matters. I ask this b/c I was thinking of just buying a cheap 4x12 and put some V30s in it instead of buying a 1960 or something similar to that.
Yeah, cab construction, joints and woods all play a part in the overall tone - just like the wood of your guitar plays a large part in how that sounds.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The wood will affect your resonance/sustain and tone a pretty good deal. A cab made of particleboard will carry sound worse, and just sound worse in general, than one made of something like solid poplar.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Will one with mediocre construction and good speakers really sound that much worse than a cab with the same speakers and better construction?
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Jun 24, 2008,
Um, yeah. It's true.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
From what i've heard the 1960's are way overpriced so look at some other cabs before you make a decision
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
I wasn't necessarily set on a 1960. Those, Mesa Rectifier cabs and Avatars were the others. Basically just one with V30s in it. That's why I was wondering about woods.
It depends on the cabinet. Marshall 1960's are made of cheap plywood and have some pretty dissapointing construction. But they sound great.

Other cabs boast "7 layer baltic birch" but end up sounding just as good or a little less better than the 1960's.

"shrugs"
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Cabinets with the exact same speakers will still vary in sound. Their construction, quality, and size, type/thickness of wood all affect the sound. An Avatar 4x12 with V30's won't sound the same as a Mesa 4x12 with V30's.

You can find a used Mesa 4x12 or Framus Dragon 4x12 on Craigslist for sometimes as little as $500ish. You just need to spend time looking
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
The wood and joining affects the sound. I know a solid pine cab will give a more vintage-fendery sound than an 11-ply birch cab which will give a more archetypal Marshall tone. Closed and Open back cabs are very different too, there's a lot of variables.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
*hypothetical*

Say I bought a MG cab and threw some V30s in it. It wouldn't really be that bad would it? I know the stocks speakers suck but the construction on the 2x12 combo I'm getting rid of isn't bad, it's actually really sturdy. With a good head is the type/construction of the wood really that important?
Quote by zhunt1130
*hypothetical*

Say I bought a MG cab and threw some V30s in it. It wouldn't really be that bad would it? I know the stocks speakers suck but the construction on the 2x12 combo I'm getting rid of isn't bad, it's actually really sturdy. With a good head is the type/construction of the wood really that important?

The MG cabs are small and will not have as much air pushed as a bigger cabinet, also the ****ty wood will not resonate like a higher end cabinet. I had a friend put G12t75s in a MG cab and it sounded ok... right until you put it up to a proper cabinet like my Mesa. Mesa and Avatar aren't your only options. Basson, Emperor, Vader, Engl, there are tons.
Quote by zhunt1130
What about a VK or 6505 cab with a speaker swap?

Yay, Nay?