Get a neck with 21 frets to replace one with 23 frets?
It's my bass project and im just wondering
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
.. but do you really need 23 frets on a bass lol?
Why wouldn't you? I have two 24 fret basses, and I certainly use all 24.
Quote by smb
Why wouldn't you? I have two 24 fret basses, and I certainly use all 24.

I'm not really a bassist, I've only played one a couple times.
Just wondering
Quote by hoppusfan182
okay thanks alot. Now i can get the neck now.. ugh they're so expensive...

Where are you ordering from?
Quote by DiMeTiMe
I've never seen a 23 fret neck...do you mean where it's 22, but there's a little bit more fretboard after?

Ya, thats a 22 fret.

no its a 23, the original bass was from target...if that can maybe explain for you.
just make sure the scale is the same before you order it, you caught that from Zeppelin_1223 right?

just checking, don't want you to end up being disappointed.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
just make sure the scale is the same before you order it, you caught that from Zeppelin_1223 right?

just checking, don't want you to end up being disappointed.

Just in case anyone doesn't know- I'll say why

Your bass's bridge is positioned to fit a neck of a certain scale length, you can change the number of frets you have, as long as it remains the same scale (so the frets would be spaced differently). If that new neck isn't the same scale, you'd have to reposition the bridge and a whole bunch of crap.

Hope someone learned something new
Zeppelin is right, if the scale length was any different what so ever, your intonation would get screwed over. Obviously you can adjust intonation at the bridge but it might not be enough to fix that problem if it arises, and thats certainly a risk I wouldn't be willing to take.
It would be a better investment to buy a bass. You cant just add frets. The extra frets would make the distance form the bridge to nut different and wouldnt tune anymore. There are set ups like conversion necks or extended fret boards. But wouldnt be cheap and probably wont fit a target bass.
well thankyou so much guys you've all been really helpful=] I'm have another bass so its not like this one is gonna be my full time bass i just really want to make a project hahah just so I'm not bored

Thakyou again everyone