Does anyone know of a way to find out if you suffer from a repressed production of Serotonin without consulting a doctor?

I want to see if this is the reason for major highs and major lows that vary day to day but I couldn't face going to the doctor just to have them say "No, it's not that you wuss."

So basically I want to know if there is a chance for me to turn my life around or if I would need medication to do so.

Any help appreciated.
Nah you'd have to see a doctor. Highs and lows will either serotonin or, generally, hormones. I'm guessing you mean "Are these symptoms of depression?" in a roundabout way but just go to the doctor.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
well no doctor is gonna call you a wuss. but I'm pretty sure that low seritonin levels is called depression, so you might wanna get that checked out for real.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
chances are your probably not depressed...just a whiner. Go drink some coffee and be a man! (at least until the coffee shrivels up your testicles and sterilizes you)
Funky c, Funky do
^ heh heh, what a prick

well, if you dont want to be slave to a pill, you can eat right, stay active, and be grateful for what you have, even if it's a zit-free face or that your Mom isn't banging gene simmons, be thankful.
Last edited by deadeyedick at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by funky_c
chances are your probably not depressed...just a whiner. Go drink some coffee and be a man! (at least until the coffee shrivels up your testicles and sterilizes you)

True.

Lack of serotonin is characterised by several things, including a depleted immune system and muscle weakness as well as depression.
The only way is to see a doctor. Trust me - you don't want to get bad advice or a bad diagnosis on this issue. Been there, done that.
Quote by deadeyedick
gene simmons isn't banging your Mom, be thankful.

fixed
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
There's really no way to test serotonin levels. You just describe your symptoms to a doctor, and they decide with you if you should be on SSRIs.

EDIT: Major highs and major lows in a day sounds like rapid-cycling bipolar.
Oh Shit!
Go out and exercise. If you feel better, it may have been your Serotonin levels. You will want to go to a doctor, if you don't just try to deal with it. Makes having a job a lot harder if you don't though.

EDIT: To the people saying it may be bipolar, the episodes last for months, in which one feels the depressed and manic, not hours.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by catchy phrase
Major highs and major lows in a day sounds like rapid-cycling bipolar.
Yes, but it's best to see the doctor with an open mind. If you go in saying "I think I have whatever" they give you the appropriate medication for that and send you on your way. If you don't know then they take more care about diagnosis.

I went in to see the doctor over a year ago and said I thought I had depression. He just asked a couple of questions and gave me some SSRIs. I reacted seriously badly to them. Went back to the doctor and explained and he said "well why did you say you were depressed - why didn't you say you were bipolar" when obviously I didn't have a funking clue - I'm not a doctor!
As others have said, it's best you go to a doctor and describe your symptoms to him in such a fashion as SMB has stated, for the same reasons. There is yet a method to literally test the amount of serotonin you are producing or whether or not your production has been repressed in some way: the idea of chemical imbalances is still but a theory (I AM MAKING NO ATTEMPTS TO FALSIFY THIS THEORY, HOWEVER). Although, recently I read an article that the brain structure of children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD were different from those that had not been diagnosed. Even still, this may not mean that there is a "chemical imbalance."

Anyway, these medications really do help people regardless of their methods. They will not completely alleviate your symptoms and solve your problems, but they definitely facilitate the process of improving the lifestyles of those with depression/OCD/Bipolar Disorder/Anxiety and the myriad of other psychological disorders.

I don't really know why I've written all that, but I hope it helps somehow.
TS have u taken ecastasy lately? no thats really a serious question, im not tryin to blame it on thizz, but im just wondering, cuz if u have that could play into it.

or u could be somewhat of a hypochondriac, meaning u think there is something wrong with u and there isn't, cuz life is tough.
Quote by mitchrushton182
yea i heard that doing ecstasy destroys almost all the seratonin in your brain.
Ecstasy releases the serotonin stored in your brain all at once, and the low afterwards is because it takes your body time to make more.
Quote by Paquijón
Anyway, these medications really do help people regardless of their methods. They will not completely alleviate your symptoms and solve your problems, but they definitely facilitate the process of improving the lifestyles of those with depression/OCD/Bipolar Disorder/Anxiety and the myriad of other psychological disorders.
Yup...the pills don't make everything better, but they help you deal with the way things are.
Quote by catchy phrase
EDIT: Major highs and major lows in a day sounds like rapid-cycling bipolar.

Is it possibly to even be a rapidly-cycling bipolar?

It's crossed my mind a few times, so I'd like to know.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Is it possibly to even be a rapidly-cycling bipolar?

It's crossed my mind a few times, so I'd like to know.
Rapid cycling is only defined as four or more serious episodes in a year.
I don't do drugs. I don't smoke. I drink alcohol fairly often but rarely a "binge".

I weigh 57.3kg and I'm 171cm tall. Also, I'm 16 nearly 17. My BMI is 19%. Since being 14 years old I have constantly been about the 8 1/2 stone mark... (Fast metabolism maybe?)

To be honest I don't know what it is. I've went on the internet and taken proper depression tests from my psychology classes, on the internet, anywhere I can find them and they all say I'm depressed. I even take them when I'm not depressed. I can be really happy one moment and then something or something triggers off something that makes me less talkative and more moody.

My sleeping patterns are really bad. Under 5 hours of sleep during weekdays on average. I eat about 1 meal a day and have some light snacks. The snacks I have are rarely healthy.

And in all honesty... I don't know what's causing these thoughts. Yeah, I'm going through some hard times with stress from family/college/friends etc, but I can cope with that. All I know is that I have the symptoms of depression but rarely feel it.

I hope this shines some light on what it could be.

By the way, I don't want to go to the doctors for the reasons stated above. I'm genuinely unsure what's wrong with me.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and funky_c, I'll ignore the obvious grammatical errors in your post which point out that you are of a similar age to me and point out that you're being highly insensitive to a sensitive subject. I know plenty of "whiners" and the irritate me as much as the next guy, but I think I have a genuine problem.
Quote by smb
Rapid cycling is only defined as four or more serious episodes in a year.

So no, basically
Quote by SteveHouse
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want advice or whatever or just want someone to talk to.

Best of luck.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
So no, basically
I don't know - I don't think it's very well understood still to be honest. I personally find that I get fairly bad every few weeks but I won't have any major episodes for months at a time.
Last edited by smb at Jun 24, 2008,
The minimum for rapid-cycling is 4 episodes in a year, but it can be far more than that. My best friend without his prescription can be manic one minute then depressed the next.
Oh Shit!
Quote by smb
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want advice or whatever or just want someone to talk to.

Thank you, that is a very generous offer. To think I get a better response off someone I've never met personally than those I thought I could trust... You've slightly restored my faith in humanity.
Try to change your eating habits. That may at least help you to control your sleeping. One meal is certainly not enough.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
you might be manic depressive (bipolar) or something - seriously, go to the doctor. it's best to know the truth so you can deal with it in the most appropriate way.
from daylight...
...into darkness