So, the other day i was walking around walmart trying to find something to get with a gift certificate someone had given me. I was browsing around the music section, when something caught my eye. There, proudly displayed in the Discover New Artists section, was a whole rack of Jeff Buckley's album, Grace. Now, for those of you who dont know, Jeff Buckley was an incredible singer/songwriter with a vocal range of 4 octaves (i think). He is most famous for his rendition of Hallelujah (unfortunately used on American Idol, the OC, and other shows).

More importantly (at least to the story at hand), Jeff Buckley actually died on May 29, 1997, in a mysterious drowning accident in Memphis, TN (he went swimming in a river wearing all of his clothing and a pair of rain boots...).

Horrified at seeing Buckley listed as an up-and-coming artist, i mentioned this oversight/mistake to a manager, who promptly told me that it didnt matter because no one else will notice or care. I told him that since Jeff Buckley died here in Memphis (where I live and thus where wal-mart was located) and still had a strong influence, maybe this wasn't the most sensitive thing. Again the manager told me that this didn't matter at all and that he was too busy to deal with this issue.

Thank you Wal-Mart.

Just thought I would share.

1. They made mistake putting his cds there.

2. He's not really dead and is in fact still producing musical gold.

Pick an option and roll with it.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
I bet he is back as a zombie.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
he is up and coming. His popularity has risen so much recently. I'm with you on the fact that he should be in legends. But technically its an ok call.
actually, it didnt really seem like any of the other artists were on the rise either... they had theory of a deadman, story of the year, an american idol compilation, and then some girl (cant remember her name)

none the less, even if his music is still gaining popularity thanks to increased exposure, he DIED 11 years ago...

id agree with him being in legends
Seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill on your part. Don't worry about it.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jun 24, 2008,
He is most famous for his rendition of Hallelujah (unfortunately used on American Idol, the OC, and other shows).

How is it unfortunate exactly? Music is meant to be enjoyed, and putting the song in much watched programming get shis music out there to those who wouldn't necessarily hear it.

And I'm not surprised the manager didn't care. He has much better things to do like run the shop.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How is it unfortunate exactly? Music is meant to be enjoyed, and putting the song in much watched programming get shis music out there to those who wouldn't necessarily hear it.

And I'm not surprised the manager didn't care. He has much better things to do like run the shop.

You know "sellout" is such a derogatory word in this day and age. Everyone is so afraid to make it big and they feel any success compromises their integrity as musicians. Let them die poor, I say.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Well I for one DO care. It's an abomination to the memory of one of the greatest singers and musicians in these past times that people say "nobody will care if he's dead". It was one of the biggest losses musicwise and people should know about. Or at least not be fool by some f*ckin walmart
They're trying to broaden the variety of music the customers listen to?

TBH, it doesn't matter. It's a supermarket and they don't really care. Get over it.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']1. They made mistake putting his cds there.

2. He's not really dead and is in fact still producing musical gold.

Pick an option and roll with it.
Like Tupac
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Jeff Buckley's work is absolutely awesome, and I think that Sketches is really an under-rated album but the manager is trying to make money from this. A lot of people will know him (or at least think of him) as "that guy who made that song in that show I was watching the other day." It's just how he's making business, I suppose....