I have been listening to Iggy Pop and the Stooges lately and was wondering who some older Protopunk bands like them are. I tried the search bar and got a lot of results that kinda gave me a broad range of bands and stuff, so just a few suggestions would be great.
Protopunk is the best. Check out:
David Bowie: the Aladdin Sane album was the closest to protopunk, but a lot of his work influenced the punk scene.
the Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground and Nico
the New York Dolls: s/t
Richard Hell and the Voidoids: Blank Generation
Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers: LAMF
Patti Smith: Horses
Television: Marquee Moon

I gave good starting point albums. You'll dig 'em all. Bowie worked real close with Iggy for a long time, and was really influenced by his existence.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Jun 24, 2008,
I think you could add the Dead Boys to that list. X-Ray Specks(sp?) too. Im not entirely sure what you mean, Stiff Little Fingers and Sham 69.
Quote by Jett Diamond
Protopunk is the best. Check out:
David Bowie: the Aladdin Sane album was the closest to protopunk, but a lot of his work influenced the punk scene.
the Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground and Nico
the New York Dolls: s/t
Richard Hell and the Voidoids: Blank Generation
Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers: LAMF
Patti Smith: Horses
Television: Marquee Moon

Get White Light/White Heat instead of VU & Nico, it's more p0nx. Plus it doesn't have Nico. I find Nico's voice incredibly irritating.

I think you could add the Dead Boys to that list. X-Ray Specks(sp?) too. Im not entirely sure what you mean, Stiff Little Fingers and Sham 69.

It's X-Ray Spex, but none of those are proto-punk.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Get White Light/White Heat instead of VU & Nico, it's more p0nx. Plus it doesn't have Nico. I find Nico's voice incredibly irritating.

I love Nico's voice

Jack my swag
Quote by neidnarb11890

It's X-Ray Spex, but none of those are proto-punk.

Agreed on the X-Ray Spex and Dead Boys, as they're not technically protopunk, just straight up '77; but fawk you man! VU & Nico is an excellent record. I skip most of Nico's songs (except I'll Be Your Mirror <3), but that still means you have Waiting for the Man, Heroin, and Black Angel's Death Song all on one CD. Plus I just burned it without Nico's songs, and replaced them with a few others that I really liked.
DOWN&OUT
Maybe if you like some protopunk you maybe into the Who. i know they're generally classified as "classic rock" but theres no denying alot of their music was a huge influence on punk.

Oh, and the Alice Cooper Band, (aka, the original band up until Muscle of Love, their last album, after that, Alice went solo) ACB are an insanely huge influence on punk too.
Quote by Jett Diamond
Agreed on the X-Ray Spex and Dead Boys, as they're not technically protopunk, just straight up '77; but fawk you man! VU & Nico is an excellent record. I skip most of Nico's songs (except I'll Be Your Mirror <3), but that still means you have Waiting for the Man, Heroin, and Black Angel's Death Song all on one CD. Plus I just burned it without Nico's songs, and replaced them with a few others that I really liked.

I always skip Nico's songs too. I love all the songs Lou Reed sings though. Because Lou Reed's voice sounds like sex.

But I still like White Light/White Heat more.
iggy's solo albums..

radio birdman, get "radios appear"

destroy all monsters

the pagans

and the dead boys, who may be '77 but that's all semantics

just listen to them...
blackflag makes a point: if you like Iggy and the Stooges (Raw Power era), you'll probably like the Dead Boys, even though they're more '77
DOWN&OUT
I haven't listened to Radio Birdman or the Pagans in AGES.

I think I will tomorrow when I'm home alone and can blast them at excessive volumes...

I miss those bands...
Quote by Jett Diamond
Black Angel's Death Song

I love the really loud hissing that Cale does in that song. I'm fairly sure he's Voldemort.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by RHCP94
I love the really loud hissing that Cale does in that song. I'm fairly sure he's Voldemort.

Yeah! Man, John Cale did some great shit in that band. I need to check out more of his solo stuff
DOWN&OUT
Rocket From The Crypt, The Dead Boys, The Dictators, The New York Dolls, The MC5, and The Damned are all somewhat similar to The Stooges. Iggy Pop's role model for his music was Bo Diddley, so check out his stuff too.
The Pagans are really great. Everybody should have a copy of **** Street.

I also second the Dictators.
I'd say just get the velvets best of...because just about anyone might not like it. It's like one long orgasm to me, but...I don't get out much. And as far as Nico goes, I don't...dislike her really I guess...maybe for giving Iggy..what was it? The Clap? HAH. Kick out the jams is a must though, and any New York Dolls. The new york dolls just sound like...exactly what rock music in general should sound like it.
Agent Orange? Not to sure about all the sub-genres. It just seems like early punk influencing music.

The Who, NOTHING is more punk than the Who.

You guys won't agree but i've always considered Elton John the true upper of punx.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Radio Birdman is some dope sh*t right there... I just recently got into them. I got the best of 74-78 collection thing.

that song Murder City Nights is ****ing awesome
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
I love the Stooges. So bluesy.
Quote by imgooley
I love the Stooges. So bluesy.

Yep, the Stooges are freakin' sweet.

my favorite songs def gotta Dirt, I Need Somebody, I Wanna Be Your Dog and Ann
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by the glue man
The Sonics! 60's garage rock from Tacoma. If you like the Stooges you'll probably like them.

The Sonics are a great choice. Another Tacoma great is the Wailers, check out "out of our tree"
Quote by Silent_Jester13
Agent Orange? Not to sure about all the sub-genres. It just seems like early punk influencing music.

You guys won't agree but i've always considered Elton John the true upper of punx.

AO are from like the 80s, good band, but not proto at all.

Elton john kicks ass. Nothing says p0nx like homosexuality and cocaine abuse.

(Sorry if that came off harsh, I love Elton john to f*cking death)
Quote by Silent_Jester13

I actually agree completely with that statement.

David Bowie too of course I dont care what anyone says, he had a whole lot to do with punk. Not to mention he was good friends with Iggy.
Count V
The Seeds
13th Floor Elevators
Love
The Sonics
The Monks
The Standells
Shadow of Knight
Them
The Small Faces