I've seen a lot of threads recently regarding players asking "what 'level' guitarist am I?" or "could someone suggest [beginner/intermediate/advanced] level songs?". I'd like to take a moment to address those and allow others to discuss.

Essentially, aside from "absolute beginner" and "virtuoso", guitar doesn't have levels. Somthing one person considers easy may be difficult or downright impossible for another person. It's extremely subjective. The only exception is in the case of "absolute beginner" stuff (IE; the intro riff from Smoke on the Water) or "virtuoso" stuff [IE; Arpeggios from Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen]. Asking online is pointless for a myriad of reasons.

First, nobody can see your playing. Sure, you can post a youtube vid, but you've also probably been practicing that one piece to get it just right before you posted it. It's hardly an indication of your overall playing, or how much you actually know and can apply.

Secondly, other people's standards are just that: theirs. No two people play the same way, the same music, in the same style verbatim. We all have different tastes, ideas, and concepts in regards to what's "intermediate" and what's "advanced" and what's "good and bad".

Finally, why exactly are you playing the guitar to begin with? If it's to impress the internet, well, you're going to have to work very hard for a very long time. Unless you can do this you probably won't stand out. If you're playing for yourself, then what other people think about it shoulden't be a factor. Play what you enjoy and take satisfaction from that. Sure, validation feels good, but if you're playing for the right reasons that will come on it's own.

Using other people as measuring sticks is IMHO one of the best ways to frustrate yourself. Some people are more talented in certain areas then others, and when you see someone can play that one song you're struggling on in only 2 months, and you've been at it for six, you're going to think you can't do it or get fed up. We all progress differently in different areas. Nobody else can really tell where you are but yourself. Sure, we can all make educated guesses and label you, but at the end of the day you're the one who has to decide where and how you want to progress.

Play for yourself, and above all, play what you love and love what you play.

-Garou
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jul 12, 2008,
excellent.
nobody could say it better.
On this last beat,

my heart will freeze.

we'll end in harmony.

Quote by Thornography
I usually get lost after 3 words... maybe it happens to others.
Sticky maybe?
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
I myself am a level 26

but seriously dude
well said. You are 100% correct. Its all based on opinions.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
very true, also an expert country player would have a very different skillset from an expert metal player, its mostly just completely subjective

altho a noob is a noob (like me)
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Dude i would totally vote for you if you ran for Prez.

But on the serious side. . . . ... sticky!
most definatly stickyed, also this guy could b considered a guitar guru, ive seen some of the replies this guy has made, and he is the most down to earth guy ever, haha he understands everything, so anything this guy posts should automatically b stickied!!
RedBloodHotSugarChiliSexPeppersMagik
dude awsome andy mcknee referance, that guy is a GOD in his tyle. but yeah thanxs for posting this im sick of seeing people who ask to be rated. they should all quit guitar and pick up gymnastics (better chance of getting girls) hahah
I rate this thread a 5.

Kidding....

Someone might be able to rate how you play a specific song when posted on youtube, but your overall playing ability is difficuly to guage.
definately well said
People are strange when youre a stranger
Faces look ugly when youre alone
Women seem wicked when youre unwanted
Streets are uneven when youre down
Wow. That made my day. Couldn't be worded more beautifully.

I especially agree with the part regarding "First, nobody can see your playing."
So true.
Yea I agree dude these threads were getting really annoying...

I blame guitar hero for some of this. Some guy was actually giving percents on how well he could play a song... wtf??
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by AznElliot518
Yea I agree dude these threads were getting really annoying...

I blame guitar hero for some of this. Some guy was actually giving percents on how well he could play a song... wtf??

Haha... kinda like how people relate football to the Madden game... nobody can stop Mike Vick, he's like 98 in Madden.
I appriciate all the positive feedback. I don't know if it's Guitar Hero that's inspiring all these threads or people just getting frustrated and wanting validation, but I hate to see people playing for the wrong reasons.

To ryanwan123: Thanks, but I'm hardly a guitar guru. I'm muddling through just the same as anyone else, and in fact if you go far enough back in my posts, I've probably been guilty of some of the assumptions I'm addressing . Whenever possible I like to pass on what I've learned (usually the hard way), and if it helps someone else, all the better
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by Garou1911
I appriciate all the positive feedback. I don't know if it's Guitar Hero that's inspiring all these threads or people just getting frustrated and wanting validation, but I hate to see people playing for the wrong reasons.

Though I have played it a couple of times, it is not Guitar Hero for me... lol Kinda fun game though. I would concur with the need for some amount of validation, not that I want to validate I am playing well necessarily, but that I'm moving along as I should and improving. I know I have thought about it a couple of times myself... wondering if I am still a beginner or not (playing for about a year and a half). Sometimes I feel like I'm in a rut with it and do not see a lot of progress, and then other times it is like wow - I just played that (probably still crappily, lol).

Playing for the right reasons is important though. I play because I love music and would rather sit and figure out how to play it than listen to it all the time on the <insert music device>. Eventually it would be great to do some things of my own as well.
A "level" is sometimes useful, not for seeing where you are at but to see some of the GENERAL songs that you can play. I don't know many songs other then metal ones but if I search some intermediate songs then I can expand my playing a lot. However, what you said hit the nail on the head. A lot of people get discouraged and don't really think about why they actually play guitar.
awesome post garou1911, has a motivational aspect to it =D
wow im gonna be copy+pasting this SOOOOOO many times in the electric guitar forum
so many threads are made like that: "HOW GOOD AM I???!!!!"

now i dont have to type this all out in every post
nice work TS
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
verbatim is spelled wrong.