Would you prefer the Government cut off less high-paying jobs rather than lower payin

Page 1 of 2
whats your opinion? this is for a Government assignment and im supposed to gather different responses, so it would be really cool if you guys gave me your opinions on this question. I'd rather them cut higher paying ones yes cause some jobs people get paid way too much for not that much work and others that are a lot more work make a lot less. Minimum wage should be 15 an hour.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
Cut the higher ones. I need someone to deliver my pizza and build my house.

EDIT: honestly, i haven't looked up how much construction workers make, but i've heard it isn't much...
I believe he's actually doing a survey of sorts, smb.

To be helpful, I'd prefer they cut the lower paying ones, because I'm a heartless bastard and am planning on having a higher paying job (only possible with the government though).
well the government wouldnt chop they're own nuts off, so they wouldnt abolish high paying jobs...did I understand the question?
They should cut the lower ones because it's more motivation to get an educatio and make something of yourself. Secondly if minimum wage was higher all of the prices of products would thus become higher too because the grocery store is having too pay little johnny more to stock the bread now than before, so they have to charge more for the bread to make ends meet, but ironically little johnny has to buy this higher priced bread for his teenage mother and baby thus spending essentially the same percentage of his paycheck as he would have had too regardless of the actual rate of the minimum wage.
Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f***ing car.
I love pulp...
Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair...

I will find this girl.

Unless you live in a nation with a "planned" economy the government better not cut crap at either end. What I would prefer id that the government stays the fuck out of my business.
And go open a lemonade stand and pay your help $15.00/hr. Guarantee you ain't gonna sell any.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'd rather the government not cut anything. It needs to stay out of people's businesses.

/libertarian
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by Deliriumbassist
tax rates should be made fairer.

Agreed.

To be honest the idea of putting a threshold on the amount of jobs by wage can only possibly spell the end for any economy.

Less high paying jobs = low student motivation = low college attendance = less professionally skilled adults in the future.

Less low paying jobs = Unemployment skyrockets = a higher percentage of the general population will leech society via well fare.

So really what you're asking is:

"Would you rather an idiot nation, or a poor nation"

Over simplified, yes, but this IS politics after all
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nothing should be cut, but tax rates should be made fairer.

Just out of curiousity how would you do that? And I realize (Ya I spelled it with a z ) we will be comparing apples to oranges. Just curious.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Just out of curiousity how would you do that? And I realize (Ya I spelled it with a z ) we will be comparing apples to oranges. Just curious.

Well, I remember reading around the last UK budget that the current tax bands etc put richer people better off than poorer people (completely relatively. Obviously richer people will have more money and better off anyway, but they shouldn't be better off on their taxes). I'm no economist, politician, or chancellor of the exchequer, so I can't give you an action plan on it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nothing should be cut, but tax rates should be made fairer.

Yeah they should just make tax rates flat percentages, same for everyone but no one goes poor.
What's up?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, I remember reading around the last UK budget that the current tax bands etc put richer people better off than poorer people (completely relatively. Obviously richer people will have more money and better off anyway, but they shouldn't be better off on their taxes). I'm no economist, politician, or chancellor of the exchequer, so I can't give you an action plan on it.

Fair enough. Our tax systems are probably different enough to not warrant a discussion anyways.
Chancellor of the exchequer. Sorry but that just sounds funny to my ears.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Yeah they should just make tax rates flat percentages, same for everyone but no one goes poor.

A flat rate income tax is a terrible idea.

10% of a $20,000 annual income is a huge strain on the person, while 10% of $1,000,000 annual income is comparatively nothing.
Oh Shit!
Cut the lower ones. The majority of the population is already growing more and more into a kind of peasantry with this middle class crisis. Really either option would help this problem, but I think taking away the lower jobs would force more people to motivate towards education. However I think there should be more money in alternative, for lack of a better term, incomes, like that of artists. Would those be considered lower end jobs?
We're only strays.
laissez-faire ftw
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Musicman48858
laissez-faire ftw

Laissez-faire capitalism is dangerous, imo. There should be at least some level of government regulation of commerce. A complete lack of federal or state economic policy would not lead in a positive direction.
Oh Shit!
Quote by catchy phrase

10% of a $20,000 annual income is a huge strain on the person, while 10% of $1,000,000 annual income is comparatively nothing.

I like the idea of a flat tax rate. However I also think that the first 30,000 you make shoud be tax exempt. If you make 35k you pay $500.00 etc.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by catchy phrase

But it's a percent so it's the same proportion. It would be unequal otherwise.
What's up?
Quote by catchy phrase

Relatively nothing, comparatively, the higher income is shelling out $98,000 more tax.

Engineer voting for leaving higher paying jobs alone.
Think of it this way. Say, for the sake of argument, that each citizen must pay 10% a year in taxes.

On one hand, you have a very wealthy family that earns $1 million each year. They can easily afford their $100,000 in taxes.

Then you have an impoverished family that makes about $20,000, putting them just below the poverty line for the US. For them the $2000 in income tax is money that could be used to feed their kids and pay the rent.

See the disparity?

Edit:US Tax Brackets
Oh Shit!
Last edited by catchy phrase at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by Jackal58
I like the idea of a flat tax rate. However I also think that the first 30,000 you make shoud be tax exempt. If you make 35k you pay $500.00 etc.

That's essentially what is currently going on. There really isn't a large % increase per tier now. Adding tiers above $357,700 would be a better solution.
Quote by catchy phrase
Think of it this way. Say, for the sake of argument, that each citizen must pay 10% a year in taxes.

On one hand, you have a very wealthy family that earns $1 million each year. They can easily afford their $100,000 in taxes.

Then you have an impoverished family that makes about $20,000, putting them just below the poverty line for the US. For them the $2000 in income tax is money that could be used to feed their kids and pay the rent.

See the disparity?

I agreed with you in the post I initially quoted. I was just commenting on your choice in phrasing.
Quote by JohnnyBeep
That's essentially what is currently going on. There really isn't a large % increase per tier now. Adding tiers above $357,700 would be a better solution.

I understand that. The problem I have with the current US tax code is the intricacy of it.
Reduce the overall rate and eliminate all the damn loopholes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by catchy phrase

See the disparity?

You're right those poor people are getting off way to easy. They should increase theirs to 20%.
What's up?
Quote by catchy phrase

See the disparity?

Lets take the U.S tax policy as an example for why there should be no cuts for anyone.

My father as an example works for 15 hours a day from 6 in the morning to 9 or 10 at night. He doesnt have a 40 hour work week because he is a partner in a law firm. His life is extremely stressed and he can barely handle the work load to make the 800,000 he makes a year.

Once he started making this money, he thought, maybe I could buy something nice now that ive gone to night school while working two part time jobs and spending 20 years working my way up to a decent position. BUT WAIT! he gets taxed 52% of his annual income. So now my father only takes in 400 a year where the guy thats making 300 a year base gets to keep most of his money.

Regardless of the fact that he has enough money to life how fair is this? If your saying we should all work just to live, then whats the point of working any harder to get anywhere in life. Why dont we just stop when weve reached an area where we can support ourselves.

Fair? You decide.
The maximum federal tax bracket is 35%, and Virginia's maximum state income tax bracket is 5.75%. How did you come up with 52% of his annual income?

Also, the guy making $300,000 pays only 2% less in federal tax. Where are you getting your numbers?
Oh Shit!
Last edited by catchy phrase at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by alaub1491
Lets take the U.S tax policy as an example for why there should be no cuts for anyone.

My father as an example works for 15 hours a day from 6 in the morning to 9 or 10 at night. He doesnt have a 40 hour work week because he is a partner in a law firm. His life is extremely stressed and he can barely handle the work load to make the 800,000 he makes a year.

Once he started making this money, he thought, maybe I could buy something nice now that ive gone to night school while working two part time jobs and spending 20 years working my way up to a decent position. BUT WAIT! he gets taxed 52% of his annual income. So now my father only takes in 400 a year where the guy thats making 300 a year base gets to keep most of his money.

Regardless of the fact that he has enough money to life how fair is this? If your saying we should all work just to live, then whats the point of working any harder to get anywhere in life. Why dont we just stop when weve reached an area where we can support ourselves.

Fair? You decide.

Apple fell far from the tree? Like... really far?
Quote by catchy phrase
The maximum federal tax bracket is 35%, and Virginia's maximum state income tax bracket is 5.75%. How did you come up with 52% of his annual income?

Well first off, his firm does something weird where he gets all of his annual paycheck at once and then he has to ration it himself and make sure it lasts and then theres some extra thing he told me he has to pay because of his practice that brings it up to somewhere in the high fourties. Maybe it wasnt exactly 52 but it was a pretty good chunk.

I can ask him more about it tomorrow and post again.

Sorry if I confused you or sounded stupid.

But overall, dont you see how being taxed like that is ridiculously unfair?
Quote by alaub1491
What do you mean by that?

A tree pulling in nearly seven figures and the apple using hyperbolic stats to argue the current bracket system does not cater to the tree. The comment may have been a little harsh.
Quote by alaub1491
Well first off, his firm does something weird where he gets all of his annual paycheck at once and then he has to ration it himself and make sure it lasts and then theres some extra thing he told me he has to pay because of his practice that brings it up to somewhere in the high fourties. Maybe it wasnt exactly 52 but it was a pretty good chunk.

I can ask him more about it tomorrow and post again.

Sorry if I confused you or sounded stupid.

But overall, dont you see how being taxed like that is ridiculously unfair?

US Tax Brackets

I think that what needs to be done, as stated by a previous poster, is to add more brackets while keeping the maximum tax rate at or near the current level. $350,000 is far too low of a cutoff for the highest bracket.
Oh Shit!
Quote by JohnnyBeep
A tree pulling in nearly seven figures and the apple using hyperbolic stats to argue the current bracket system does not cater to the tree. The comment may have been a little harsh.

Yes, you are correct in this statement. I may have been exaggerating or slightly wrong as I stated before but I corrected myself in my next post.

You honestly don't think that its unfair to tax someone who makes more money more? It's like being punished for working harder or trying to do something better.

I just can't understand that mentality.
Quote by alaub1491
Yes, you are correct in this statement. I may have been exaggerating or slightly wrong as I stated before but I corrected myself in my next post.

You honestly don't think that its unfair to tax someone who makes more money more? It's like being punished for working harder or trying to do something better.

I don't understand why my parents should be relatively worse off after tax, even though they perform roles vital within healthcare.

It works both ways.
Quote by alaub1491

You honestly don't think that its unfair to tax someone who makes more money more?It's like being punished for working harder or trying to do something better.

Correct. You're not being punished, because in the end you still make more. It's not as if you'll end up with less money if you work more, except in rare cases of moving from the high end of one bracket to the bottom of another one.
Oh Shit!
Quote by catchy phrase
US Tax Brackets

I think that what needs to be done, as stated by a previous poster, is to add more brackets while keeping the maximum tax rate at or near the current level. $350,000 is far too low of a cutoff for the highest bracket.

Sorry for the double post.

Yes that does make sense. I still think the overall tax rate needs to be lower. Everyone in the world is scared to buy now. The economy in America is declining because of speculation. Particularly speculation of the oil prices. Because of the big crash due to the equity issues, people are now afraid to buy things and by overtaxing them, it doesn't fix anything.

The market is never going to grow again if the consumers are taxed out of their minds.
Quote by catchy phrase
Correct. You're not being punished, because in the end you still make more. It's not as if you'll end up with less money if you work more, except in rare cases of moving from the high end of one bracket to the bottom of another one.

But then you have to figure, is everyone making what everyone should be making? Is it fair if someone who works 1000 times harder than someone else isn't making 1000 times more money simply because through their hard work, they have been taxed more?

It just seems to me that you should get to keep what you earn, pay for you own services, and support yourself without the government providing health care and other services that one could pay for themselves.

I know its kind of radical and libertarian, but I think you should only be taxed the minimum the government needs to keep everything running and in functioning order and everyone should just have to pay for everything themselves.
Page 1 of 2