So I just got one of these used, and I couldn't test it because i bought it locally and met the guy halfway. I got everything all hooked up and I can't get any sound. The led will light up, but no matter how I turn the knobs, no sound. I already checked my guitar and amp and they are not the problem. If it helps this is the old Sovtek Big Muff with the large green housing. What could be the problem with it, I am not handy with electrical stuff, should I bring it in to my local guitar shop?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
probably, if you're not willing to poke around. if you are, grab a voltmeter and test each component. you know your signal makes it to at least the LED, so test after the LED. if it's still a problem, test the rest. if STILL, then your inputs might be pooched.

if there's anything else, take it to the store.

------

Shwiggity.
Jealous, I am. Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys has one of those Sovtek Muffs that look like they came straight out of the Cold War.

But it seems to me that the jacks are messed up.
Do I need to change the whole jack then?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by lbj273
Do I need to change the whole jack then?

No clue. I'm sure someone else has one (a clue) though.
can't change less than a whole jack. well, i guess you could but it's be real bitch an totally unnecessary considering even radio shack has them for like two bucks. the jack might not be the cause though. there may be a short somewhere, broken traces on the PCB, anything. take a look at the inside. if you absolutely hate poking around with electronics things or don't have an absolute clue, then sure, take it to someone. its your choice.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
It works. I don't know why I couldnt get it to work last night but it works now and it sounds amazing. If I had been alive in the 70's this would take me back to then because its sound is straight 70's power rock.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

cool, glad to hear it bro!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
switch your leads

if your guitar is going in the one on the left plug it to the right
fuzzs are like that

Edit: shoulda read the entire thread
Last edited by Recondite Blue at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
Jealous, I am. Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys has one of those Sovtek Muffs that look like they came straight out of the Cold War.

But it seems to me that the jacks are messed up.

Ummm...just so you know, the Cold War wasn't actually a war in that there was no fighting, just the US and Russia threatening to push the Big Red Button. Hence COLD War.