i am deciding to get a combo amp for practice and stuff that is 100 watts.

i cant decide over the marshall mg100dfx or the fender frontman 212r 100watt amp

or should i buy a fender tube amp for a safe price

my budget is $600 or $700

i play rock, metal, and blues

please dont comment on if my choices are bad i know they arent the best but im not a professional and i just want big sound to match my drummer and with distortion in it
Last edited by slash717315 at Jun 25, 2008,
Both of hose are pretty horrible amps.

What do you play?

What's your budget?

YOU DON'T NEED 100W!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Frontmans better, what's your budget?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
don't buy 100 watts of solid state crap, buy like 40 of all tube awesomeness, it'll be just as loud
blues junior fasho, stay away from the marshall mg series, especially on ug. personally i love fenders, but if you have to money definatly get a tube instead of a solid. 40w tube ~ 100w solid.
I have a Fender Blues Junior for bedroom practicing and it is great but if I wanted a combo amp that was versatile (practice and gigging) I'd go with the Carvin Steve Vai Legacy. I played one a couple of months ago and it had so many sublties in sound that I was blown away. The four-EL34 matched Groove Tubes and five 12AX7's were sweet and it's a little over $1000. Marshal's have a great specific sound but not very flexible if youy play a wide range of styles and a Fender 100w combo is going to run about $1400 so I would still choose the Carvin.
I guess the TS ran away to hopefully do some research and go - ooops.

No worries Slash dot dot dot dot...as most of us have been there done that.

The Fender is better than the MG by far imo but if you want a true purring overdriven fuzzy sound then a tube amp is for you. I have a Frontman and unless you need nothing but strictly loud cleans - typically these amps are a waste of money.

Please come back and tell us what your total budget is, what music you like, and whether or not you play with a drummer and we will be happy to point you to some stuff in your price range.
I'm no expert
but the line 6 HD150 is just a few bucks more than the MG100
and blows it away in my opinion.
Quote by Ace628
I'm no expert
but the line 6 HD150 is just a few bucks more than the MG100
and blows it away in my opinion.

Yeah, but it's still crummy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
judging by your screename and general spending amount based on those complete garbage can amps, i'd say blackheart little giant with OD pedal, delay pedal and vox wah.

but your question is so vague it's slightly annoying...

why the hell do you want a 'practice' amp that can do 100 watts? completely redundant.

it just so happens that i created a new thread that happens to address your situation but haven't done any reviews yet....and i didn't even notice this thread here until AFTER i posted it. ....wow....coincidence? i'm on a mission.....if you're a big slash fan you might also wanna check my other thread entitled, 'noobs want slash's sound? here it is'
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
well i play a les paul 56 goldtop im not spending money on the 1000 dollar amps and stuff

as for the playing i play rock, metal, blues,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Both of hose are pretty horrible amps.

What do you play?

What's your budget?

YOU DON'T NEED 100W!

well i know they arent the best should i go for a 40 watt tube fender hot rod deluxe
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I guess the TS ran away to hopefully do some research and go - ooops.

No worries Slash dot dot dot dot...as most of us have been there done that.

The Fender is better than the MG by far imo but if you want a true purring overdriven fuzzy sound then a tube amp is for you. I have a Frontman and unless you need nothing but strictly loud cleans - typically these amps are a waste of money.

Please come back and tell us what your total budget is, what music you like, and whether or not you play with a drummer and we will be happy to point you to some stuff in your price range.

well my budget is $700, i play a epi les paul 56' goldtop, i play with a drummer (just started) and i like rock, metal, and only alittle bit of blues

im starting to also change my mind i might buy a fender tube amp for 40 watts
Quote by slash717315
well i know they arent the best should i go for a 40 watt tube fender hot rod deluxe

yes
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by kckyle
ergh here comes the marshall mg flames. whats your budget. we can probably figure out something for you

at most 700 bucks but i would like a fender tube for $600 or alittle over that

i play rock, metal, and blues(once and a while)

and i have a epi les paul 56 goldtop

and a little 10w practice amp (which sucks)
^For rock and metal, look at other brands. A Traynor with an OD would be very nice, i'm sure. The same goes for a Peavey Classic 30. If most of your playing is metal, though, you'll want to start looking at some heavier amps.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i suggest you get the fender and get a nice distortion pedal for the rock stuff, that way you can always have it on clean channel
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
^^Why get an amp that doesn't fit your style and just throw a distortion in front of it? It'd be much smarter to actually by an amp that can cover most of his genres well without the help of pedals.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Vox AC 30's have some great tones, i wish i'd got one :/
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^For rock and metal, look at other brands. A Traynor with an OD would be very nice, i'm sure. The same goes for a Peavey Classic 30. If most of your playing is metal, though, you'll want to start looking at some heavier amps.

+ a lot

Traynor and Peavey have 30-50W amps that would be much better for your style of play than anything by Fender, and dramatically better than a 100W MG or FM212.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.