Right, got my Jackson SL3 off ebay, been lovin' it. Until about 20 minutes ago. Picked it up, flipped on the neck pickup (an SD Hotrail)... nothing. The next position over (neck + middle, unless I'm mistaken) works fine, but I'm pretty sure it's just the sound of the middle pickup coming through, though it's the same volume as when it's just the middle pickup selected.

When I changed the strings, and when I got it taken to the shop to get it set up, the pickup was really magnetized, pulled the strings right down onto it when they weren't under tension (the middle might've been doing this too, can't quite remember). The guy at the shop said something about it needing to be demagnetized because it'd make it feedback like crazy, but I didn't notice anything when I was playing with it, albeit at low volumes. The guy admitted he didn't know anything about rails pickups, so I figured it was just something they did normally.

Any thoughts on what the culprit might be, and if I can fix it myself? I'll probably be taking it to my local shop soon, but just want to see what you guys think.
Congrats on the guitar.

Sorry I can't help though I don't really think I've heard of demagnatized.

Did you look at the wiring to see if maybe there is a faulty connection?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
It's probably a wire under the pickguard that's broken. Next time you change strings, open it up and check it out.

Also, are hotrails active? If they are, dead battery?
use the whole guitar is fire wood.

jk sorry man dont know much about pickups besides EMGs(yeah babyy)
dude flip it of over and try losing the springs other than that buy a new one
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Pickups have to be magnetic to work.

You probably just have a loose wire in there somewhere. if you're not afraid to open up your guitar, find it, and solder it back where it should be, you should be able to fix it yourself easily.
Quote by Blaster Bob
Pickups have to be magnetic to work.

You probably just have a loose wire in there somewhere. if you're not afraid to open up your guitar, find it, and solder it back where it should be, you should be able to fix it yourself easily.

I know they have to be magnetic, but this was overly magnetic. Like, the string would stick to it. A lot. Not even close to the amount of magnetism on the JB that's in the bridge or the pickups on my LP.

Anyway, checked the wires around the pots in the back of the guitar and everything seems to be in order... though admittedly I know jack squat about wiring.
title = win
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Wow, the shopkeep needs to do some research. Rail p-ups have a lot of pull because they are usually very hot p-ups with powerful ceramic magnets in them. The Quad-rail p-ups on my Kramer do this every time I change strings and it's nothing to be worried about. Anyway, about the dead pick up, you should switch out all the electronics in the guitar(pots, jack, switch, wires) before you replace the pick up. A new switch is only $8 vs $60 for a new pick up.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
Wow, the shopkeep needs to do some research. Rail p-ups have a lot of pull because they are usually very hot p-ups with powerful ceramic magnets in them. The Quad-rail p-ups on my Kramer do this every time I change strings and it's nothing to be worried about. Anyway, about the dead pick up, you should switch out all the electronics in the guitar(pots, jack, switch, wires) before you replace the pick up. A new switch is only $8 vs $60 for a new pick up.

Sounds good, I guess I'll take it to the shop and have someone else look at it.

I won't say anything bad about the guy who looked at it because:

A) He plays mandolin almost exclusively but still manages to know more about my FR than me.
B) When I asked him what I owed him for the setup, he replied "Nothing, just come back in and buy a pack of strings sometime."
C) He's a midget/ dwarf/ little person. Seriously.
demagnatized... bad. A pickup is a magnet
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
So, where are the pics?

Lets see that beast
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Sounds good, I guess I'll take it to the shop and have someone else look at it.

I won't say anything bad about the guy who looked at it because:

A) He plays mandolin almost exclusively but still manages to know more about my FR than me.
B) When I asked him what I owed him for the setup, he replied "Nothing, just come back in and buy a pack of strings sometime."
C) He's a midget/ dwarf/ little person. Seriously.

Lol. More power to him then.

Just kinda meant that he should do more research if he's going to run a shop that does repairs. Cool that he didn't charge you to look at it though. All the shops around here would say "Leave it here and we'll call you in a few days" and proceed to charge what ever they felt like.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by thefrigginbob
So, where are the pics?

Lets see that beast

I totally would... but the rest of my family's on vacation and has the camera. I'll post pics towards the beginning of next week.

It's dead sexy, though. Flamed Maple tops =
I'm so jealous....

I hope you get that neck pickup fixed though, thats a bummer.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪