Or rather the best I could possibly be? I have been reading the forums for a while now and I see people say "oh it doesn't matter if you suck" "just have fun" that sounds like something a father would say to his son if he was a loser at sports. I mean I wanna be an amazing guitarist in the shortest amount of time. That way I can go ahead and make the music I want to make. Is that so wrong? I've been playing a little under a year and no where close to where I wanna be. I practice like crazy and yet can only do so much. I do speed exercises and always get stuck in the same place. It's drives me crazy and yet at the same time it makes me want to keep going. It makes me want to keep pushing myself. But when people say I suck or my technique is sloppy or I'm not as good as joe or something it just makes me want to work harder. What's so bad about that?
Nothing wrong with wanting to do your best...I have been playing for 13 years and will never stop pushing myself to get better. Music is a limitless journey, and to convince yourself you can't get better is only seeling yourself short.

Peace...
Tim
When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it. --- Dimebag Darrell
I hear ya. I practice hard (when Im not on UG) so I can become great someday, make music and stuff. Its more the fact that I want to make music, and good music. Ive been moving away from playing other peoples songs, and been studying theory so I can make music of my own. Ive been playing for a little over a year, and I dont plan on stopping until Im good enough to say I achieved my goal, if it can ever even be met.
Last edited by AlskiOverload at Jun 24, 2008,
Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be the best you can.

The way it sounds from your post though is that you want to be great really fast. The reason people say"oh dont worry about bad playing" is that guitar cant be rushed. It takes time and practice. If you focus on being the best all the time you will most likely get burned out on guitar.

Just my opinion.

Be as great as you want but don't expect it to happen fast.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
good luck in your struggles grass hoppa
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by thefrigginbob
Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be the best you can.

The way it sounds from your post though is that you want to be great really fast. The reason people say"oh dont worry about bad playing" is that guitar cant be rushed. It takes time and practice. If you focus on being the best all the time you will most likely get burned out on guitar.

Just my opinion.

Be as great as you want but don't expect it to happen fast.

In a way I do wanna be great really fast. I don't wanna be playing 5 years from on and still not be able to play certain things.
Of course not. You should want to be the very best, like no one ever was.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
There isn't anyhting bad about that, people are just sad about there own miserable lives so they have to rag on people who actually want to do something with themselves.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
I'm getting pretty discouraged at guitar playing. I was mainly a bassist, had a bit of an accident on my playing hand and was in a cast for a year. I'm still trying to get my hand back, my fingers don't move like my right hand fingers do. I have the strength and the dexterity but I don't have the speed at all. I'm debating if I should play left handed since I am ambidextrous and can play both ways, although better right handed since that's how I mainly play. I can play faster left handed though, just not as accurate.
I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST
LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS
TO PLAY FAST IS MY REAL TEST
TO SHRED IT IS MY CAUSE
(guitargasm)
I WILL TOUR ACROSS THE STATES,
PLAYING LOUD AND HIGH
EACH SCALE AND MODE, TO UNDERSTAND
THE INTERVALS INSIDE
(guitargasm)
OH, THERE'S A HALF STEP BEND
IN AN AREA I MUST DEFEND
THERE'S SOUL IN IT TOO
MY PRACTICE WILL PULL ME THROUGH
I'LL PLAY C AND YOU WILL TOO
GUITARGASM
Gotta Shred Em All
(gotta Shred Em All)
GUITARGASM
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Jun 25, 2008,
You should always strive to be the best you can be in everything you do. However, you should spend a few minutes to define what best means in any given scenario.

Often with guitarists (especially when younger), the best has everything to do with speed and flashy tricks. However, put a piece of sheet music in front of them and all you hear is silence. On the other hand, there are older players who can site read chord changes with ease but can't solo to save their life. Or what about the sloppy player who can write extremely cool songs?

Each player has achieved a solid techinical ability at the sacrifice of another. So be sure to balance your goals and keep an open mind.
Quote by FrugalGuitarist
Each player has achieved a solid techinical ability at the sacrifice of another. So be sure to balance your goals and keep an open mind.

There are so many guitarists I could name who disprove that; you don't have to sacrifice anything to be good at one thing.

TS: You have to realize a few things:

1 - There will always be someone out there who is better at any given thing than you. It's inevitable and you have to accept that.

2 - You cannot rush learning, I can guarantee that if you practice every day for a few hours for 5 years there will still be some things that you can't play because of point 1.

3 - It's all very well and good wanting to be the best but you shouldn't let that get in the way of your enjoyment of playing, you enjoy practicing right now, yes, but in a few months or years you might not like it so much because you have to try a whole lot harder to make even 10% of the progress you made to begin with. It's at times like that that you really have to stop practicing for a while and just find the fun again.

4 - There is no best. Music can't be quantified so there can never be a "best".

With all that said, good for you, it's good to want to better yourself; keep at it and I'm sure you'll be good at the instrument soon enough
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
no use trying to be "THE BEST" because it is all opinion. I just try to be my best, sounds really lame and cliche, but its my mindset/
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There are so many guitarists I could name who disprove that; you don't have to sacrifice anything to be good at one thing.

Of course there are, I was speaking of my specific example. In the case of the playing who practices one thing and one thing only, you absolutely will sacrifice other aspects of your musical ability.
Music is an art form, not a competitive sport. While I'm sure everyone at some level wants to be the "best" at something, expressing yourself through your music should always be your top priority. Your guitar is simply a tool to achieve this goal.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Next_GuitarGod
In a way I do wanna be great really fast. I don't wanna be playing 5 years from on and still not be able to play certain things.

Tough,because that's the way it is.

Your problem is you're impatient - you want to be able to do everything NOW, and it's not going to happen. It takes a long time to get good at the guitar, whether you like it or not. It's the same for everyone on this board, it was the same for Satriani, Vai and Gilbert. You've got your entire life to get good at the guitar, and it's going to take that long because you're never done learning and you never stop developing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
nothing wrong with that at all, if that's what motivates you you might as well run with it (considering a lot of people struggle to motivate themselves, and at least you have something to motivate you). just you'll have to practice a lot (and as steven seagull says, it won't happen overnight).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?