Page 1 of 2
okay I've been watching The Wall: Live in Berlin today, and I really need to find some more albums that have this sort of feel to them. Yes I'm looking for some different concept albums. Now I've heard many, most of Roger Waters's solo stuff, all of the Who's concept stuff, Dream Theater stuff, scene's from a memory was pretty amazing. I was wondering if A: you had any suggestions, and B: what your favorites were. Now, GO!

thanks!

-Wiz?
The Hold Steady's Almost Killed Me, Seperation Sunday, and Boys & Girls In America all follow the same great story line.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Have you listened to Pros and Cons of Hitch hiking? or Amused to Death? I know thats roger waters but I am still recommending them to you. I do believe Joe's Garage by Frank zappa is a rock opera.

My favorites are: The Roger Waters Trilogy (Pros and Cons of Hitch hiking, Radio KAOS, and Amused to Death), Pink Floyd's concept albums, Strange days by the doors, Tommy by the who. I heard Sgt Pepper's a concept album, but I am not sure about that one.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Last edited by The_lizard_king at Jun 24, 2008,
Erm, I guess 10,000 Days by Tool? Is that considered a concept album?
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by The Picker
Erm, I guess 10,000 Days by Tool? Is that considered a concept album?

I don't think 10,000 days is. Lateralus is more a concept album than 10,000 days.

Mastodon's Blood Mountain (their own story) and Leviathan (based on Moby Dick)

Coheed and Cambria's entire back catalogue... if you want to put the effort into it. A complex story spanning (atm) 4 albums and a sprinkling of side projects isn't easy to get into. See also: The Prize Fighter Inferno.
mastodon and any tool album would probably give that same feel

mastadon can be kind of grating though
Quote by The_lizard_king
Have you listened to Pros and Cons of Hitch hiking? or Amused to Death? I know thats roger waters but I am still recommending them to you. I do believe Joe's Garage by Frank zappa is a rock opera.

My favorites are: The Roger Waters Trilogy (Pros and Cons of Hitch hiking, Radio KAOS, and Amused to Death), Pink Floyd's concept albums, Strange days by the doors, Tommy by the who. I heard Sgt Pepper's a concept album, but I am not sure about that one.

I've done Roger's stuff, and it's pretty insane if you ask me. I prefer radio KAOS, but amused to death is pretty sweet as well.
oooh, missed opera bit...

I'd say Rocky Horror Picture Show was a rock opera.

And then there's R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet. Watch it on Youtube. NOW. And remember that R. Kelly was serious when he wrote it There's about 30+ episodes... first 20 will suffice nicely
um nostradomas from judas priest, its a concept album about the guy
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't think 10,000 days is. Lateralus is more a concept album than 10,000 days.

Mastodon's Blood Mountain

Ok, I was thinking 10,000 Days because some songs were about his mother and her illness, but I guess not all of them are.

Blood Mountain is a good one though.
Saint Louis Blues
I'm no fan of hardcore, but Between the Buried and Me's Colors was pretty good stuff.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
oooh, missed opera bit...

I'd say Rocky Horror Picture Show was a rock opera.

And then there's R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet. Watch it on Youtube. NOW. And remember that R. Kelly was serious when he wrote it There's about 30+ episodes... first 20 will suffice nicely

I've actually watched a ton of those for the lulz, damn it's funny that someone can be that stupid
C'mon guys, not one mention of SGT. Pepper or Arthur????

SGT. Pepper-The Beatles
Arthur-The Kinks
The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society-The Kinks
Schoolboys in Disgrace-The Kinks

The Kinks are underated.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by wizards?
I've done Roger's stuff, and it's pretty insane if you ask me. I prefer radio KAOS, but amused to death is pretty sweet as well.

I'm listening to pros and cons again. Listening to his albums and the work he did in pink floyd you can tell he worked with some of the best guitar players to convey his words.

Pink Floyd: David Gilmour
Solo:

Pros and Cons: Eric Clapton

Amused to Death: Jeff Beck

he has also worked with Eddie Van Halen too! lol

Oh to stay on topic I forgot to mention Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche, thats a rock opera I need to get my hands on. And Radiohead's OK Computer is a concept album
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Quote by wizards?
I've actually watched a ton of those for the lulz, damn it's funny that someone can be that stupid

I think it's genius, lol.

And yeah, Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell albums are awesome concept albums. The Monster's Loose is a kickass song.

EDIT: No way, John 5 plays The Monster's Loose. He looked completely different without makeup when I was watching a Meatloaf gig.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Coheed and Cambria's entire back catalogue... if you want to put the effort into it. A complex story spanning (atm) 4 albums and a sprinkling of side projects isn't easy to get into. See also: The Prize Fighter Inferno.

Everything I could recommend.
Concept Album:

Deltron 3030 by: Deltron 3030

Get it, now! It's an amazing album, especially with the heightened sense of appreciation marijuana gives you. It flows perfectly, and the production is top-notch. Del Tha Funkeé Homosapien is pretty flawless as far as his duties go.
KISS - The Elder

Quadrophenia - The Who

Tommy - The Who

Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick

Holy Wood - Marilyn Manson
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by wizards?

He says, "Move!"

she says, "No."

He says, "MOVE!"

she says "No!"

He says, "BITCH MOVE!"

she says, "Okay."

That dialogue is brilliant! Plus the plot twist of the wife cheating with a midget would make M. Night cringe.
Acts I and II: The Lake South, The River North and The Meaning Of, and All Things Regarding Ms. Leading by The Dear Hunter are PHENOMENAL concept albums. its a six-act story, but only two acts have been released. about a man who was born to a prostitute, the first album deals with his conception and birth, while the second focuses more on him growing up, and falling in love with a woman in the same line of work as his mother.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Minkaro
Ayreon albums would be a good place to look.

My favourite is The Human Equation.

Dude I love Ayreon...all of the albums so far being one story! It's amazing!

I suggest Evergrey, specifically The Search for Truth, they have some good ones, usually a loose plot but with intense music about whatever subject hte album is on
Avantasia - The Metal Opera (theres a part 1 and part 2, different cds)

But Ayreon FTW, they have amazing versatility in the styles they use, I especially love the slower songs with long instrumental parts. Arjen is a musical god.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Last edited by DefectedFromGod at Jun 24, 2008,
Joes Garage and Thing-Fish by Frank Zappa
All of Ayreon albums are concept albums but check out The Human Equation
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Most Maiden albums are, to be fair.
It's the most obvious though, and I remember it being on a list of best concept albums.
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
C'mon guys, not one mention of SGT. Pepper or Arthur????

SGT. Pepper-The Beatles
Arthur-The Kinks
The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society-The Kinks
Schoolboys in Disgrace-The Kinks

The Kinks are underated.

Thank you.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Most Maiden albums are, to be fair.

No. 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' is in fact the only Maiden concept album... and it's fantastic.

Anyways, I love Ayreon, as you can see by my avatar, since all their albums are concept save 'Actual Fantasy.' I also love the concept album 'The Varangian Way' by Turisas.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

All the ones listed so far, and OK Computer by Radiohead. It's a concept album that is pretty much based off the book Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. The album is a masterpiece.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
No. 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' is in fact the only Maiden concept album... and it's fantastic.

Anyways, I love Ayreon, as you can see by my avatar, since all their albums are concept save 'Actual Fantasy.' I also love the concept album 'The Varangian Way' by Turisas.

Seventh Son has an actual storyline. But, as another example, A Matter of Life and Death is a concept album about war.
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis is quite awesome. It's Peter Gabriel's last effort with the group before Phil took over.

And Quadrophenia is one of my all time favorite albums ever!
Page 1 of 2