I listed my Mesa Mark IV on Craig's List for $900 or a trade. A guy contacted me asking me if I wanted to trade for this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200234023099&ih=010&category=10171&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
I want a fender Twin Reverb, but how does this compare before I even entertain his proposal? Any opinions?
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
That's the "evil twin." The cleans are not as good as on a silverface or a blackface, but they're not bad amps. Unlike most twins they have at least some usable overdrive.
I was really after the cleans of the Twin Reverbs and use an overdrive/fuzz pedals to add in overdrive. I would like some good over drive in the amp, but cleans mean a lot to me. Coming from the Mark IV to this, any idea how the cleans compare? I am decently satisfied with the Mark's cleans but would like Fender cleans.
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

I've played a twin and nothing beats the fenders cleans. I have a mesa/f-50 and its cleans might be like yours, but fenders cleans are alot more chimey and sparkling compared to mesa/boogie. If you're after the best cleans, the Fender Twin Reverb (blackface or silverface) is the one for you, I wouldn't get the evil twin if you want the best cleans.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
The cleans will be much better than your Mesa. The problem I have with the red knobbers is that they weren't terribly well built, and they don't sound very good quiet. If you were to take a day to rewire it with some decently sized wire and good pots, and if you're playing loud with a band most of the time, go for it.
Otherwise, there are better amps out there.
Another guy offered me a Fender Super Twin '69. Any opinions?
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

As long as you don't have to carry it
The super twin is an awesome amp. Don't expect it to overdrive ever, but you'll get fender cleans like nobody's business at any volume.
It is 180 watts! That would kill my ears! I don't think I need so much power. My mesa is 85 and it is already pushing it. How does it fair for semi-loud home play. I mean I have shaken stuff off the walls with my mesa, but will this thing like tear the walls down?Lol
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

That's a good question. I'm calling in the.spine.surfs, he's got one... he should post here soon. I would think that you could pull a couple power tubes and be fine.
And one thing that is consistent to all the review is how heavy it is...
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

OK, so Vincent is, er, unable to post at the moment. He sends this absentee review though:

"Hah, crazy. I'm one of the only guys on UG who has a Super Twin, as far as I know, so here's my advice. The Super Twin is a really splendid Fender amp, with a couple non-Fender features and very unique bits.

While it does have the famous Fender cleans (for miles, and miles, and miles...) it does NOT have the famous Fender reverb (or Vibrato), like a Twin Reverb, Bandmaster Reverb, or Super Reverb. Even if you don't use reverb, a vintage Fender amp with reverb is generally much more valuable and desirable on the used and collectors market.

Secondly, it only has one channel, while a Twin Reverb has two. Not that they're foot-switchable, or of drastically different voicing, but you can't do the channel-linking trick.

Thirdly, it's heavier than a Twin Reverb, thanks to bigger transformers and speakers that need bigger wattage handling levels and larger speaker magnets.

Lastly, and most importantly for you, it's NOT worth $900! I bought mine in a local shop for $300 out the door. And, like I pointed out earlier, it probably wouldn't appreciate in value like a vintage Fender amp with reverb would. If that trade sounds good anyway, you really should have some cash coming your way.

On a related note, I have a '73 Fender Twin Reverb that I haven't used much since I got my '75 Super Twin. Just throwing that out there..."

edit: in regards to lower volume practicing,
"tube pulling is easy, and it sounds fine at low volume, even when run at 180 watts."
Last edited by Roc8995 at Jun 24, 2008,
So... don't waste my time with either the Twin: Red Knob or the Super Twin?
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

If you want fender cleans that can overdrive you want a deluxe reverb or a super reverb.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I basically want amazing cleans and throw a pedal on it to do my overdrive. I had really fallen in love with the Twin Reverb. Any better suggestions?
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

Lumpelope,

I did the same thing as you. I have a mark IV that i want to sell and I fell in love with the fender twin. My dad has a late 70's silverface twin and I can't find a better guitar tone anywhere. The cleans just blow my mind. I got tired of messin with the mark IV, i was always messing with the dials. With the twin it's hard to get a bad sound.

I would definitely get a vintage fender twin silverface or black face early or late 70's..

You won't be disappointed.. I just got one on ebay because I didn't want to use my Dad's twin.

Meanwhile if anyone wants to buy a Mark IV in a head or a rackmount let me know. I have both. the empty head case and the rack wings for the mark IV. I also have midi switching exactly how Chevelle has theirs. Axess-electronic midi controller that controls my amp channels. Pretty slick.... It blow away the standard mark IV channel switcher.