im trying to learn how to play can't stop. the thing is yes i can play each of the notes individually, but i wanna play it like john does. i want to learn how to strum the notes as a whole instead of picking individually. is there anything or any exercise i can do to learn?

i suppose that you have to mute all the notes but the ones that you're playing to do it right? i've tried that but it sounds so messy and it sounds really suttle and quiet.
yes you need to mute the notes to get that lovely funky sound out of it. There's nothing i hate more than people playing it note by note instead of strumming. Well no, i probably hate something more than that, like maybe a person who drowns kittens or something.

try this:
E--
B--
G--------7-9----------7-x-9-
D--------x-x----------x--x-x-
A--7-7--x-x--7-7-7-x--x-x-
E--------------x----x---------

That kinda thing
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Last edited by druz15_UG at Jun 24, 2008,
i had your problem. What i did was i would strum, but i would only hit one string when i did the stumming motion. It takes some practice, but you'll get the hang of it.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
No but i hold any E string notes on that riff with my thumb
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12