Hey all...

Ive been scouring the forums looking for advice on this but I came out with a few unanswered questions.

Im attempting to refinish my cheap ibanez 7 string in a sort of Hetfield's 'Truckster' design. Not the exact 'relic/worn' in parts design but using the same method of painting on layers and sanding back through them.
Ill finish it off with a matte lacquer or something not so glossy.

I started by roughing up the original black paint and spraying a couple of layers of white primer. Now i dont know if i should let it dry for a few hours then do the next colour OR if i need to wait a few days before i do the next colour.
Will i have trouble sanding back through the layers, exposing each as i go, if each layer is not cured properly?

Also what grade sand paper would be suggested to sand through?

Thanks

start from a low grit at about 40 then goto 60 then 80
Quote by I Be Andyy
That gives you rank of -10 out of 10. You fail. Go play the flute.

----GEAR----
Gibson voodoo sg
Schecter hellraiser c-1 fr (07' model)
Fender american strat
Martin 000-28
Peavey bandit 112
Mesa mark 5
Mesa stiletto 4x12
just wait till its 100 perscent dry unless you want to mix the paint colors little in between the coatings then do it after a few hours, the most you should have to wait thoug is 24 hours so 5 layers should only take about a week
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by M33tal
Ok cool... so 24 hours between colours.

i believe the paint can says 6 to 24 hours so if you dont put to much on it then just keep checking on it every 3 or so hours to see if its dry enough to that you want to put the next color on
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Look for the "rule of threes": (project guitar i believe?)

([{three light coats, let it dry for three hours} x3]= 1 day)x3

for sanding through, make sure you have a thick base coat (NOT PRIMER) that you'll sand back to every time. you can do this with 120 grit, NOT 40, it'll leave indentations and you'll end up sanding waay too far. work your way up to 400 before applying the next coat.
------

Shwiggity.
so...

going by that method I should apply 9 coats of each colour or 3 coats of each...

...thinking about it, 9 coats of each colour would get pretty thick.

And should i be sanding between each colour too, to give the next colour something to stick to?