I really like music, and I like to sing, but i'm absolutely horrible at it. Is it possible for someone who really has no singing talent to become a "decent" singer? (as in not being laughed at) If so, how?
take lessons?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
As long as you're not completely tone-deaf, you can become a decent singer.
[SIZE=
Ahh, well I can tell I currently have no singing talent, so I guess i'm not tone deaf! Alright, I was positive practicing helps, just wanted to make sure there was hope
Quote by InvaderTSN
Practice. How do you think people learned how to do death metal vocals? Natural talent? Hardly.

Sing in front of a mirror also. It helps somehow, but I forget.

Singing at a flat surface IE a wall, a mirror, whatever, reflects some of the sound back at you, so you're not just hearing your voice through layers of bone and tissue, you're hearing more of what it ACTUALLY sounds like.

I learned to sing by doing a lot of that. I'm not Jeff Buckley but I can hold a harmony as a backing singer or something.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
fap
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Anybody can sing, some just have better voices than others. I would just practice actually hitting the notes first and after you develop your pitch a ways then start experimenting to find your own voice cuz everybody sings differently.
The laws of the universe dictate that ANYONE can sing like the dude from Creed. Just make your voice really low and sing through your teeth. And voila, instant radio friendly love songs about newborn children... or something...
Dear diary.

Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender.

I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me.
Examples of people who aren't great singers but sing anyway:

Les Claypool
Jimi Hendrix (According to him, I think he's great)
Jesse Hughes
Me

You'd be in good company.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker

On record, it apparently took him a hell of a lot of takes to get his vocals down.

And you're forgetting the big one, the quintessential shit singer who sang anyway and inspired Jimi to give singing a go... Bob Dylan.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
^ I don't listen to much of the Bobs, but I probably should eventually.

You made me think of Bruce Springsteen, and the ****ing awesome SNL sketch with Adam Sandler and the funny black dude from the 80s clapping.

EDIT:

Completely forgot about William Hung and that one dude who sang "You are my brother" on last season of American Idol...
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Caustic
On record, it apparently took him a hell of a lot of takes to get his vocals down.

And you're forgetting the big one, the quintessential shit singer who sang anyway and inspired Jimi to give singing a go... Bob Dylan.

Aye, cap'n.

****ty singers have shaped rock more than anyone who CAN sing.
Dear diary.

Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender.

I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me.
Work on your breathing. It works miracles. I used to sing bass in musicals, but after much training I discovered an entirely new side to my voice. I'm now a tenor.
Quote by Chris_Parker
Examples of people who aren't great singers but sing anyway:

Les Claypool
Jesse Hughes
Me

You'd be in good company.

You can add me to the list.

Also +1 to the guy who referenced Jeff Buckley as one of the best singers.

Just practice. I used to SUCK, now im starting to sound decent. Everyone always wants me to sing in rock band, we got rid of our singer because I was better, etc.

Also remember. You might suck, but at least you have the balls to get up on stage infront of your entire school and rock!
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Vocal cord surgery... it's the only way

I'll some you some good ones.... real cheap too!
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by Chris_Parker
^ I don't listen to much of the Bobs, but I probably should eventually.

You made me think of Bruce Springsteen, and the ****ing awesome SNL sketch with Adam Sandler and the funny black dude from the 80s clapping.

EDIT:

Completely forgot about William Hung and that one dude who sang "You are my brother" on last season of American Idol...

From a choral perspective, The "you are my brother" guy, was actually more than halfway decent.

His voice was sort of operatic
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by Silent_Jester13
You can add me to the list.

Also +1 to the guy who referenced Jeff Buckley as one of the best singers.

Just practice. I used to SUCK, now im starting to sound decent. Everyone always wants me to sing in rock band, we got rid of our singer because I was better, etc.

Also remember. You might suck, but at least you have the balls to get up on stage infront of your entire school and rock!

Well mentioning Jeff Buckley, thats actually one of a few reasons I wanna get better at singing. Working on Hallelujah on the guitar... I couldn't care less about singing for rock or metal, I just want to be able to sing to acoustic pieces =)
Quote by I Be Andyy
Not if you're Tay Zonday.

+1
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
Quote by Zach_F
From a choral perspective, The "you are my brother" guy, was actually more than halfway decent.

His voice was sort of operatic

Yah. It was more of the outfit and lyrics that made it what it was....
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
sing it out in the bathroom or where ever you can hear your self well. Try to match pitches on a keyboard, pitch pipe, guitar, bass ect. Sing along to music. Warm up before singing:
-Do a scale on do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do
-Roll your shoulders around backwards and forward
-roll your head sideways
-reach down and touch your toes
-make your lips do the thing little kids do to make car sounds
-back rubs help too!
-Breath in (through the nose) and hold for as long as possible then "hiss" it out through your mouth. repeat a few times
*these are great ways to get into a good energized singing mode! Pick a few and try it!

Always, sing from the stomach, not the throat. you will kill your voice if you don't!

try to project your voice to the back of the room. This takes practice, and you will have to find what part of your voice you find comfortable.

I hope this helps!
You can also do the thing where you play the melody of 'Mary had a Little Lamb' or something really easy on the guitar and sing along to it.

Recognizing that it is off is the first step, then doing it until it is right is the next.
As a little bit of inspiration, let me tell you I was wondering the same thing about six months ago. I wasn't an AWFUL singer per se, but I definitely wasn't good. I just started singing everywhere I went, especially in the car alone and such and when practicing, and now I'm to the point where I feel like I could record a song and put it on youtube and be proud of it.

Think of it this way. There's no way you're going to get worse. You WILL get better. And it will sound good, and soon(ish).
HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY YOUUUU GUYYYYYYSSSS
Quote by Bobbito315
Anybody can sing, some just have better voices than others. I would just practice actually hitting the notes first and after you develop your pitch a ways then start experimenting to find your own voice cuz everybody sings differently.

+1

I have the lamest voice ever for singing, but I have good intonation, and that's what makes a good singer in my books.
Start chain smoking immediately, it won't make you a decent singer in the traditional sense but you if you do it long enough you'll start to sound like Tom Waits, which is just badass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by guitar_maiden
sing it out in the bathroom or where ever you can hear your self well. Try to match pitches on a keyboard, pitch pipe, guitar, bass ect. Sing along to music. Warm up before singing:
-Do a scale on do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do
-Roll your shoulders around backwards and forward
-roll your head sideways
-reach down and touch your toes
-make your lips do the thing little kids do to make car sounds
-back rubs help too!
-Breath in (through the nose) and hold for as long as possible then "hiss" it out through your mouth. repeat a few times
*these are great ways to get into a good energized singing mode! Pick a few and try it!

Always, sing from the stomach, not the throat. you will kill your voice if you don't!

try to project your voice to the back of the room. This takes practice, and you will have to find what part of your voice you find comfortable.

I hope this helps!

dude, are you a frikken choir director? you know pretty much all of the needed vocal warmups.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I just sing along to songs I hear on the radio. I'm no Maynard yet, but I can already tell my voice is improving, I can match notes and have a steadier voice.

Quote by Metal-X
Vocal cord surgery... it's the only way

I'll some you some good ones.... real cheap too!

Dude, where have you been? I haven't seen a post from you in ages.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
the fact is that no, not everyone can become a good singer. everyone gives everyone else too much credit. really.
theres people who find a place for their voice, and theres others who dont. the ones that dont are not good singers.

on top of that, not everyone has the ability to become a good singer. things like muscle control and rubato which cant really be taught easily are more or less a natural thing, and things like head shape and tongue size or mouth size, which DO affect the sound of your voice cannot be changed.

anyone can learn a note. anyone can learn how to sing a note. not anyone can learn how to do it well.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
There are important things to recognize about the shapes that your mouth is making if you want to be a good singer.

It's important to have a focused sound, an open throat, and an open mouth. When I say open mouth, I don't mean lips really, I mean you need to raise your soft palette (feel the back of the roof of your mouth raise up when you yawn? that's your soft palatte) and actually give the sound a solid acoustic chamber to echo through. Sing out and project the vocal forward, flexing your diaphragm to get steady breath support and ease some of the tension of your vocal cords.

There are five main vowels for singing: Ah (as in "ball"), Eh ("weigh"), Ee ("see"), Oh ("snow"), and Ooh ("stew"). Some words (like the word "I" or "eye") are a blend of two of these vowel sounds ("eye" = "ah-ee"). However, when singing, you don't really want to blend the sounds too much... it's better to hold out the first vowel sound for a while and slowly transition to the second than it is to sing out a blended vowel. And NEVER hold out an "R" or and "L" sound. To sing the word neighbor over a long interval you'd be better off holding out "neigh" or "bo" but not "r"

Why? Those vowels that are blended, and those few consonants that Asians seem to have trouble distinguishing are flat-sounding consonants. The very nature of their sound involves a closed mouth, and having a closed mouth with a lowered soft palette creates a flat, out-of-tune sound that doesn't match up well with anything.

Yes, anyone can become a decent singer but not everyone can have a great voice. There is a difference. Some people with great voices can't sing to save their lives, some people who can sing very well just aren't gifted with a very good voice physically. Not saying they can't be effective, but one is nature and the other is something you can learn. And there aren't many people born with a TERRIBLE voice, although there are many who are born tone-deaf.

And again it's also important to recognize that style and context are important. A lot of singers can sing country well but can't sing rock and roll (look at Garth Brooks, what a failed rock star). Not to mention, there's more to singing than technically hitting the right notes and so forth. There's a certain amount of soul involved. Some people can't muster the power to sing out a huge high note... even if they're technically a more advanced singer than someone who's just letting it rip.

And, if you put your hand up to your ear, and sort of direct it at your mouth, you can hear your voice much more clearly. More than half of singing is listening.
Last edited by pratt121 at Jun 25, 2008,
It's definitely possible, simple as that. It's like playing guitar, you just practice (in correct ways) and get better. If you have a not-so-great voice you can still pull it off if you're smart about it.
Quote by pratt121

Yes, anyone can become a decent singer but not everyone can have a great voice. There is a difference. Some people with great voices can't sing to save their lives, some people who can sing very well just aren't gifted with a very good voice physically. Not saying they can't be effective, but one is nature and the other is something you can learn. And there aren't many people born with a TERRIBLE voice, although there are many who are born tone-deaf.

thats a good way of putting it.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!