So i basically just want to build a one maybe two channel (this would need a switch) tube amp head. i already have a cab but my head sounds like ****. I'm not looking for fancy effects. i just want the basic volume and eq knobs. I dont have much experience with electronics and want to know where i can get info/blueprints/step by step instructions on how to build one. i'm kinda tight on cash and just wanna get a better sound. Can anyone help?
The AX84 -P1 from that site is as simple and straight forward you want a decent tube amp to be imho. It's a 5watt amp, they also provide schematics, layouts, bill of materials etc in PDF. They even have a forum if you find trouble.
If you still don't think you tackle such a project (with all the info given to you by that site) then I would advise to stay away from messing with tube amps... they can easily kill you if you don't know what you're doing.
Quote by Bismarck
The AX84 -P1 from that site is as simple and straight forward you want a decent tube amp to be imho. It's a 5watt amp, they also provide schematics, layouts, bill of materials etc in PDF. They even have a forum if you find trouble.
If you still don't think you tackle such a project (with all the info given to you by that site) then I would advise to stay away from messing with tube amps... they can easily kill you if you don't know what you're doing.

i'm not worried about it being too hard. i just want a tube head. something like 50 watts.
I just noticed your sn and location... I was throwing hammer at VT a couple years back. A fellow T&F athlete I see.

Back on topic, they do have a 20 watt amp on that site too if you like. Remember that 5 watts is half as loud as 50watts (not the intuitive 1/10th), so it's still a good practice amp. You want it for gigs or for practice btw?
Quote by NSHSpolevault
i'm not worried about it being too hard. i just want a tube head. something like 50 watts.
no, i think you just want magic. a moment ago you want something "more straightforward":
Quote by NSHSpolevault
thanks. its a little confusing but i'll look through it. i'm looking for something a little more straightforward.
not gonna happen. anything in the 50watt class is going to be even more complicated than you'll find at AX84. you want it all handed to you on a platter, and you want it cheap. sorry, you won't find it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Build a firefly, it's one of the projects on ax84.

It's a really simple .5-1.5 watt tube amp. .5 watts can get pretty loud when played through a 12" speaker, let alone a 4x12 cabinet. Loud enough to hurt your ears, so it's not a wussy amp.

There's nothing really "difficult" about building a tube amp. As long as you can read circuit diagrams it's pretty easy.
Cheap and tube amp dont go together. And building a 50 watt 2 channel amp with no electronic experience wont work to well either. You can usually buy a tube amp cheaper than you can build one.
Quote by Bismarck
I just noticed your sn and location... I was throwing hammer at VT a couple years back. A fellow T&F athlete I see.

Back on topic, they do have a 20 watt amp on that site too if you like. Remember that 5 watts is half as loud as 50watts (not the intuitive 1/10th), so it's still a good practice amp. You want it for gigs or for practice btw?

this is for gigs. the head i have now sounds so crappy. and i'm not doing this by myself i'll have help with ppl that kno kinda wat they're doin. i just need to find out where i can find wat i need to build.
If you're just building the head for recreation, then definitely go for it--you'll probably have a great time figuring it out and gain some electronics experience along the way.

If you actually NEED this head for gigging, just go out and buy one--you'll save yourself time and money.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by NSHSpolevault
i'm kinda tight on cash and just wanna get a better sound. Can anyone help?

Building your own amp costs more than buying an amp. If cash is tight you need to save up more money.

When it does come time to build something, the JTM 45 head is about the most straight forward amp you will find in the 40-50 watt range. Just about all the tweed fender amps are pretty straight forward as well.
Not taking any online orders.