If this is the wrong forum, please move it, I thought this would be a relevant place.

So I recently downloaded Audacity. It looks simple enough, as far as software goes. I have yet to actually try it, as I haven't gotten together with my band, and my computer has no sound right now, let alone a mic.

What are the finer points and shortcomings of this program? Besides the obvious "it's free software" or "it's cheap", please.

Thanks,

Chris
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Well, unlike Cubase or Pro Tools, Audacity has an extremely easy to use interface, and also doesn't have any unnecessary features to clog things up. It also has a very small footprint and will run on a non-top of the line computer. Cons is that it will really only get you as far as a simple bedroom recording, it doesn't have enough power or good enough sound quality for a really good mix. If you want something free for some really good recordings, check out REAPER. It's a lot more complicated and you'll probably need better gear to use it to it's full potential though. But for what you're doing Audacity sounds perfect for you.
REaper
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
So should I also download Reaper to test both and see what I/the band like then?

Thanks for the help, too.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
What about Reaper? I just downloaded it. I've only opened it, I haven't tried it out yet, but it sure looks pretty...
Quote by Pauldapro