So I've been playing guitar for about 5 years, and i'm looking for a bass mainly to play with my girlfriend who i am teaching guitar so we can play songs together. I've read the FAQ Beginner basses so it's not just a what bass thread. And I pretty much decided on the Fender Squier Jazz bass(mainy because the thin/taper neck, But then I saw these other two fenders and im wondering if they are worth considering/looking for advice. Here they are.

This one matches my Contemporary fender strat with the flat black, and the all black neck

More info
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=510569X

This one is just something i was looking at too

More info
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-MB4-Skull-and-Crossbones-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=515227

Mainly which one do you think i should go for, and are any of them known for being crappy, Pro's and Con's? C'mon post up!

EDIT: I just read that the P bass special has a J bass neck, Im liking this one alot.
Last edited by Daniel_1988 at Jun 24, 2008,
i would say go for a jazz mainly cause it'll give you a better tone in my opinion...the squier vintage modified series really got something right.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by White-Chocolate
What kind of music will you be playing?

Hmm Probally Everything!!, Mainly different versions of rock though, No Death metal lol
Just a little bit of everything
I have a Squire P-Bass, and I'll be honest: I love it. There are many times where I play it instead of my Fender standard J-bass. The P-bass is really good by itself, it has a nice thin neck and the action was set nice and low right out of the box so it made playing very easy. Its the bass that I got when I switched from guitar to bass. And if down the road you ever get interested in modding it, there are some great choices for new pickups (I dropped some SD Quarter-Pounders in mine, and its incredible). And if you want to re-paint it, you won't feel bad using it cause you didn't drop a ton of money on it. Just my experiences though, do whatever you want! Bass is a lot of fun to get into.
6th member of "its not rape, its surprise sex" club
Quote by Daniel_1988
Hmm Probally Everything!!, Mainly different versions of rock though, No Death metal lol
Just a little bit of everything

I'd go with the Jazz then.
Ok thanks for the input , But what about the bases I posted!?!? I really like the P bass special. But they both have P and J pickups Hmmm
I would go with the pbass special, I find that the images on MB-4 are much like tatoos that you get when you are drunk. They are cool to begin with, but you will eventually come to regret them.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
If you are still pondering The best choice would be the fender
The other bass looks good but there is no action in it (they suck)
Go the fender
Quote by Brendan11
If you are still pondering The best choice would be the fender
The other bass looks good but there is no action in it (they suck)
Go the fender

They are all fenders It's just the question of the P bass, the J bass, OR the Hybrid of the 2( P bass special- My fav right now), or the MB4(Skull one). How can you tell how low the action is from that pic?
Quote by Daniel_1988
They are all fenders It's just the question of the P bass, the J bass, OR the Hybrid of the 2( P bass special- My fav right now), or the MB4(Skull one). How can you tell how low the action is from that pic?

You don't, if it's wrong you adjust it manually. In all honesty I would avoid the skull one and get the other, which looks better, in a few years, you will regret the skull one, but the other looks more stylish and sleek.

But then again, you put stickers on your guitar, all hope is lost
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
i'd say either the p bass special you mentioned because it is a fantastic bass for the price or the equivilant jazz bass (squier standard jazz)
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
LoL i Know you adjust it manually, the other guy just said it "Had no action in it" And i was saying how can you tell the action from the pictures. Yea i'm pretty sure I am going with the P Bass Special. And yea the fender has stickers on it, It had a horible body on it when i got it and i attepmted to fix it a little and sprayed it with flat black and threw some stickers on it. I call it my shoe guitar because it has stickers from shoes lol. The DC sticker on the 12th fret looks pretty sweet but yea it's just a beater.
You seem to continue goin on about the P-Special

there's your answer, its clearly the one you want,I had a P-J config bass and dug the tone, so sounds like a good idea, go for it my man!!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Nobody listens to me! the reason i know that the p bass sucks is because my friend owed one and after 3 mounths he gave it away. befor he did i had a go.
Quote by Brendan11
Nobody listens to me! the reason i know that the p bass sucks is because my friend owed one and after 3 mounths he gave it away. befor he did i had a go.

The reason no one listened to you, is because your post was badly spelt and confusing, both basses are made by the same company Squier, neither are true Fenders, and you didn't exactly put up a convincing argument.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you weren't planning on get a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibes Jazz, then I would go with the P-bass special.
The P-Bass special, while by no means the best bass Squier make, is definitely solid, and appears to appeal to you.

The Skull & Crossbones bass looks and feels painfully like an Ibanez GSR200. If you like that, may as well buy the GSR200 because it's better.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
get a nice ltd
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7