Im thinking of buying this amp, which I can almost afford. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331.
I can't afford the cab combo, or any cab for awhile.

Flame sheild on- Could I put this head into like, normal speakers with a 1/8th to 1/4 adapter?

Im looking to play giging metal. If theres a better amp for around 400 give it to me.

Sorry for being an idiot.
Last edited by mepmep at Jun 26, 2008,
no, the impedance probably won't match plus that thing would blow out computer speakers pretty quickly.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You'd need a box to convert the signal to line level...which would also be money. How much is the cab to match? Isn't it like $300 or $250 or somewhere around there?
No, but otherwise it's a great amp. You could use the effects loop to plug into your computer and use a program like Garageband or something.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
no, the combo sucks major ass. It's very different from the head, and not in a good way.

Last.fm
All you can afford is a 120 watt tube head with no speakers. Which would be the same as having no amp. 400 bucks will buy a nice combo amp.
Get a blackheart handsome devil 15W.
Get 2 fender speakers (35 bucks a piece, 8ohms)
Build your own 2x12 cab.
Total cost should be under that 400 and you'll have something alot liek the epiphone blues custom.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Sonicxlover
No, but otherwise it's a great amp. You could use the effects loop to plug into your computer and use a program like Garageband or something.

Can you give me more detail there?

I'll get the cab, but I just cant afford it right now.
Quote by mepmep
Can you give me more detail there?

I'll get the cab, but I just cant afford it right now.

Uh... you connect a cable from the head's effect loop send into your computer's line in, and then use the program (I'd probably recommend Amplitube or Guitar Rig, you can use both I believe to simulate a cab) so you can listen to yourself or add effects and stuff if you're into that.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
If you're lucky a little more than $400 could score you a 5150 combo. But, don't hold your breath.

Just because its a halfstack doesn't make it better, honestly. Buy a small tube amp that you can crank. Check out some Peavey Valvekings. Then, later on, invest in an overdrive. You'll be able to dial in a tone you're atleast comfortable with.

To be straightforward, a head without a cab wont do you a damn bit of good. Just because its a head doesn't automatically mean its better than a 2x12.
With a tube swap an a good OD the head is incredible. With no speakers though, you are screwed.
Gibson.
Quote by IWank7Sevens
If you're lucky a little more than $400 could score you a 5150 combo. But, don't hold your breath.

Just because its a halfstack doesn't make it better, honestly. Buy a small tube amp that you can crank. Check out some Peavey Valvekings. Then, later on, invest in an overdrive. You'll be able to dial in a tone you're atleast comfortable with.

To be straightforward, a head without a cab wont do you a damn bit of good. Just because its a head doesn't automatically mean its better than a 2x12.

I just really want this amp, cause it sounds so nice. It's got the perfect sound for the thrash I play. Much better than any VK I've tried. I've used a 5150 from a music store, and I didn't like it. Just didn't sound good. Yes I know a combo would suit me better, but I really just love this amp.
Last edited by mepmep at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by mepmep
I just really want this amp, cause it sounds so nice. It's got the perfect sound for the thrash I play. Much better than any VK I've tried. I've used a 5150 from a music store, and I didn't like it. Just didn't sound good. Yes I know a combo would suit me better, but I really just love this amp.

Buy the combp version of it then, it costs the same as just the head.
Never play an amp without speakers! It'll damage your amp and everyone will call you stupid.

If you can afford the head, that means you're already not incredibly poor. If you really love it that much, save up a wee bit more and get yourself a cab for it.
if you noticed he said hes into metal and doesnt have alot of money so why buy a tube amp without decent distortion built in

if your looking for metal go with a marshall or line 6 and you most likely wont need any effects
Quote by Impress93
if you noticed he said hes into metal and doesnt have alot of money so why buy a tube amp without decent distortion built in

if your looking for metal go with a marshall or line 6 and you most likely wont need any effects

The only marshalls and line 6's he'll get for 400 dollars are the MG and Spider series, both of which suck.

Before you call me an idiot, yes, I have tried both. Several times. I was never impressed.
Quote by Impress93

for that price you won't get anything good from either of those unless get a good deal on something used.

Quote by voteforpedro36

the combo is almost a different amp entirely, and it sounds horrible.

Last.fm
Quote by Impress93

Thats why you buy an overdrive. Hes obviously not going to get the baddest ****ing sound ever with his budget.

If the Windsor is what you want, you might be able to search on eBay for a used combo or stack..
Quote by sashki
Never play an amp without speakers! It'll damage your amp and everyone will call you stupid.

If you can afford the head, that means you're already not incredibly poor. If you really love it that much, save up a wee bit more and get yourself a cab for it.

I'd be plugging it into normal speakers, just not a cab. Yea I'm not incredibly poor, but I thought it would get more posts (heh heh heh)
Quote by Impress93

Ugghh, a spider 3 or MG. BLAGH (I curently have a spider 3, its too thin fuzzy and gross)

Quote by ThrashIsGreat
With a tube swap an a good OD the head is incredible. With no speakers though, you are screwed.

So I should get a OD rather than Distortion? Would an OD make it so I dont need to crank it as much? Would a dist, or OD make it more fluid and smooth (like a lead chanel?)
Quote by voteforpedro36

Nah, The combo sucks
Quote by Iansmitchell
Get a blackheart handsome devil 15W.
Get 2 fender speakers (35 bucks a piece, 8ohms)
Build your own 2x12 cab.
Total cost should be under that 400 and you'll have something alot liek the epiphone blues custom.

You see, thats a great idea that I'll probably use later for a clean amp, but I need a metal amp.

Keep the posts a coming, I havnt really gotten an answer to whether or not I can plug it into normal speakers.
Last edited by mepmep at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by mepmep

You see, thats a great idea that I'll probably use later for a clean amp, but I need a metal amp.

Keep the posts a coming, I havnt really gotten an answer to whether or not I can plug it into normal speakers.

There's no such thing as a "clean" amp.
You can dirty up any amp.
Get a metal muff, turbo tubescreamer, and a damage control.
You could turn a twin reverb into a krankenstien.
But you can't take that same krankenstien, lose the pedals, and roll back the volume, and get twin reverb cleans.

I've learned, from guys with 40 years behind them that can shred past EVH, dimebag and beyond, the same guys will need an amp that can get to creamy overdriven blues.
You're not gonna get that out of a krankenstien.
It's like getting AC/DC out of a DS1. You can't do it.
Get a clean amp, then dirty the hell out of it, you'll actually be able to roll it back.
You'll thank yourself, and so will your wallet.

Also, computer speakers aren't made to get natural breakup like guitar amplifier speakers.
They'll break suddenly and irreparabley. No fair warning, not under the same conditions. It's not anywhere near even practicable. Don't do it.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
a used windsor half stack is typically 400. do that
GEAR
Jackson RR3
Ibanez RG5
Assorted BC Rich's
Peavey Valveking halfstack
Assorted effects

Quote by Jayez
i got guitar hero 3, but without the controller.......my moms IQ is below 60.