Page 1 of 2
So i believe this thread could be a good reference for the noobs or even vets looking for a fun practice amp to purchase. I myself can give a decent review of the Vox Valvetronix line, so anyone wanting to contribute with an in depth review of the Roland Cube or another PRACTICE amp that would be great! SS preferably, tube ONLY if it is reasonably priced and good bang-for-your-buck. No complete junky and overpriced amps such as the Marshall MG and Line6 Spider. Let's say amps that retail for no more than $300 new at most, seeing as that's the average spending limit of parents buying their kid an amp.

VOX VALVETRONIX AD30VT

Price: 249.99 (USD)

Wattage: 30

The Skinny: Alright well this is the first amp to be reviewed. Let me start by saying that i have owned this amp for around 3 years or so. I upgraded from my Ibanez toneblaster to this, so even though i was upgrading to another practice amp, it was still quite an upgrade. This amp IS loud enough to play with a drummer if your playing hard rock or anything with softer drumming from that. Though i highly don't recommend this for a gigging amp (unless you have a PA to plug into) or strictly for playing w/ a drummer, i DO recommend it if you need the occasional jam/practice amp in one.

The Sound: What can i say? I was quite stunned with the tones that came from this amp when i first demoed it at the store. It is just so versatile with the switching of knobs that you can go from the cleanest cleans to heavy rock and some heavy metal. There are 11 amp models that range from boutique clean to blackface blues to AC30 crunch to the plexi growl, and goes even further with higher gained marshall and mesa modelled presets. Each amp model replicates the sound of a famous amp and does it pretty good too. Here's a tip: after the first hour of messing with the preset mode on the amp, switch it to 'Manual' and REALLY discover the sounds this amp can make! This is where the EQ and all knobs respond directly to your adjustments. Fine tune the sound of your favorite models. A cool feature is the save presets you can use. Sadly, the only downfall of this amp is that there are only two slots. So you can basically turn it into a two channel amp...but it's always fun changing it up!

Effects: there are 11 effects to complement the amp models. FX can be turned off just by pressing the 'Bypass' button. They're all VERY tweakable and can be adjusted to your specific tastes. My personal favorite FX to use out of them all are: Chorus, Reverb and Delay. Surprisingly, the FX sound quite top notch for an amp of this price! They don't sound too overpowering or too soft unless you make them sound that way. And when you bypass them, THEY'RE OFF. You don't hear this slight flange-like sound on your amp even when your FX are off (as i've experienced with other amps). Like i said, VERY customizable so have fun making it sound unique!

Basic sound suggestions:

Great vintage 80s rock tone: Either use the Vox AC30 or UK80s for a british voiced crunchy sound, or my favorite- the Boutique OD model for even tighter crunch!

Bluesy dirt clean: Blackface 2x12 model. The cleans will actually brreak up a lil with picking dynamics and sound GOOD, just make sure you EQ it right! You could easily make it sound muddy if you're not careful with your EQing!

Hi gain metal/hard rock: Nu Metal model. Though the name implies the genre usually associated with preteens (8-)), this is based of a Mesa Boogie sound i believe. It is more american voiced so it is great for that really heavy hi gain sound. Downtune and you'll get plenty of growl in the lower strings!

Downfalls: well sadly just like all SS amps, this has the tendancy to not sound nearly as tight nor thick as a fully tubed amp when cranked up. now if you're any good at EQing you can negate this problem some, but you're still not going to get complete tube sound, only somewhat close. also, the input jack will inevitably come loose and fall into the amp itself. so if you're buying new or have even owned the amp for a lil while, do yourself a favor and nip this in the bud. if it falls in you'll have to take off the back of the amp and chassis to get to where the jack falls in. if this has yet to happen, go ahead and get yourself some super glue! unscrew the nut around the input jack that holds it from the outside of the amp, dab some glue along the rim, and screw it back on. VOILA! Now it'll never loosen its sneaky lil self again! also, though the amp DOES sound a lil better when turned up, thanks to the 12ax7 in the power section i believe, it won't sound super great on the stock speaker. it will prolly sound a tad farty. the last downfall i can think of is the fact that this amp only has two preset save spots, if it had at least 4 i think this amp would no doubt be insane value!

additional comments: (mcrfobtai)
"I don't really use cleans so when I first turn on an amp, I always check the gain. I am very picky about my gain. I like smooth, rich and thick gain. For an ss, the vox really delivers. It doesn't quite have that tube warmth but i was certainly impressed. The high gain settings aren't really that high gain. They could do thrash and hard rock. But stuff like nile? No way. The cleans were fairly decent as well. not too sterile like many ss amps and certainly some of the best in it's price range as far as ss amps go. I don't really know effects but I had a lot of fun playing around with them. A little digital sounding but much better than say, a spider. There is a wide variety of effects. the only one I didn't really like was the auto wah but I just like a real wah personally. My biggest problem was figuring out how to turn off effects. I had a lot of trouble doing it. Man, what an idiot The amp was a bit confusing in general but the sound was quite good. Maybe there is something in hybrids after all."

EPIPHONE VALVE STANDARD DSP.

Price: $299.00 USD

Wattage: 15

Amplification: Full Tube, class A, push pull, El84 power tubes, 12AX7 preamp.

The Deal: I do not own this amp, but have played it extensively (20-40 hours). It is a tone giant. It is very dark and warm, and is unique in that respect when compared to other 15 watters in it's price range. I was looking at it because I needed the warmth and dynamic control that you can only really get with tube amps. It is loud enough to get over a drummer in a band situation, and is suitable for small gigs. Man, does this sucker get loud. I had the pleasure of dime-ing this sonuvabitch, and it purrs like a tiger. It has a soft breakup, and not a lot of gain, so it's most suitable for classic rock, blues, and jazz.

The Peripherals: It has 4 built in effects. The only really usable one is the reverb, which is separate from the other three. The effects tend to suck out some of the tone and warmth. The only other one that is worth mention is the chorus, and it sounds best when set on the lowest setting. The amp itself has one channel and a master volume, so you can get pretty nice overdrive at reasonable volumes. It still sounds nice at bedroom volumes. But after cranking, this thing really shines. Like I said before, it purrs like a tiger.

The Drawbacks: The Valve Standard is a one trick pony. Like I said before, it really isn't suitable for high gain. I put a Digitech Screamin Blues and a Big Muff in front of it, and it pulled a nice Black Keys/White Stripes, but that's as heavy as it can get. I would not recommend this amp to a metalhead, at all. Also, the effects tend to suck the tone out. Especially the phaser and flanger. The Reverb sounds nice when set low, but sounds very digital and processed when set high. It is usable, though, unlike the other effects settings.

The Verdict: My favorite 15 watt amp. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you want a dirty blues, classic rock, or garage tone, this is the amp for you. It doesn't have enough headroom to pull sparkly cleans out in a live gig situation, but if you don't really need it, you can gig with it no problem. It stands out from the Palomino/Crate 15 watters in it's dark tone, whereas the Crate amps have a brighter sound.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Jun 25, 2008,
As far as new amps I can only vouch for the ad30vt which you seem to have covered.

Hope this thread works out.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Id have to say the micro cube has to be one of the best practice amps you can buy
noscottno, i'm not gonna flame ya one bit. i believe that the spider may be a VERY fun amp for practice, as long as it's no more than 30 watts LOL. b/c after that it's no longer a practice amp! it's just a wannabe gig amp after that....an oversized toy.

the only reason i said no to that and the MG is b/c they are NOTORIOUS for being overpriced. this thread is focused on bang-for-your-buck amps! as long as you're sincerely trying to be helpful tho, i appreciate your input!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Anyone got a opinion of the tone on the Peavey VK Royal 8?
I need to know whether it's worth my time before I ask my GC rep to get one in store to demo (they don't have them on floor in my closest one).
The few youtube videos that there are, suck dick.

I need one for the college dorm next year, and all the other ones don't have a gain knob.
I can't crank the single volume knob on the other ones in a dorm. haha
I needed one with a speaker out jack to I can plug it up to my 4x12 at home, but I decided to just solder my own on.
oh and anyone who wants to do their own in depth analysis of an amp under these specifications, just post in this thread or PM and i'll update it into the OP!!

I can't cover all the amps myself, i've only had experience w/ the Ibanez toneblaster and Vox vavletronix.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Damn man, so many new threads
I don't care, I have nothing better to do and this seems like a good idea.

Microcube
Vox AD
The whole set of 5w valve amps.
And when GC has a sale, the palomino v16 goes for 279
Best deal ever
collapse, on a side note, i'd recommend either a VJ or Blackheart over the royal 8 as a 12" speaker will have a good difference in sound compared to the 8" speaker of the peavey. Also, the peavey doesn't seem to get much gain on it's own. The blackheart gets very crunchy on it's own. I say blackheart with bad monkey OD.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i don't know why marshall MG's get such a bad rep... they are decent amps.. sure they don't compare to their brand's tube halfstacks and such, but they are decent amps... I have the Marshall MG30DFX and personally love it.. I do plan on buying a nice tube amp later, but for the time being it's a great little amp. It accepts the use of effects pedals well (unlike line 6's) and it can get pretty loud.

they get a really bad rep just because they don't sound like tube marshalls... they aren't metal amps, and i think that's another major reason they get dissed so bad on here.. for punk and ska type music, these amps are great...
I haven't tried them or heard much about them... but aren't the crate v series small, budget tube amps? They may suck horribly though... I don't know anything about them... just trying to help...
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i don't know why marshall MG's get such a bad rep... they are decent amps.. sure they don't compare to their brand's tube halfstacks and such, but they are decent amps... I have the Marshall MG30DFX and personally love it.. I do plan on buying a nice tube amp later, but for the time being it's a great little amp. It accepts the use of effects pedals well (unlike line 6's) and it can get pretty loud.

they get a really bad rep just because they don't sound like tube marshalls... they aren't metal amps, and i think that's another major reason they get dissed so bad on here.. for punk and ska type music, these amps are great...

Eh, I have to disagree. The line 6 doesn't take pedals well because it is a modelling amp. I actually think the MG is the WORST SS amp out there. I would much rather have a Spider. Even the Raven amps sounded better. idk, I just can't stand the marshall MG
fightingirish, the MG isn't a modelling amp like the spider, that's why it takes pedals better. and this is NOT a debate on whether or not you can get any of these bad-reputation amps to sound good/great or not, it's about amps that, BRAND NEW, sound either equal to or better than what you would expect to pay for it!

well guys, like i said, if you have had enough time with one of these amps and can write a good review, post on here and i WILL add it to the OP! If this thread relies on my reviews alone we might only have two on here lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
collapse, on a side note, i'd recommend either a VJ or Blackheart over the royal 8 as a 12" speaker will have a good difference in sound compared to the 8" speaker of the peavey. Also, the peavey doesn't seem to get much gain on it's own. The blackheart gets very crunchy on it's own. I say blackheart with bad monkey OD.

I can't have a single volume knob, because I'd have to crank it to get crunchy, and I can't, because I'm in a dorm smaller than a prison cell.

Also, a 12 inch speaker would be way to big to keep under the bed (I have that little room).
This is the exact size of the room including furniture:
http://www.ncsu.edu/housing/halls/images/floorplans/tri_towers_abc.jpg

I already own a bad monkey specifically for when I get a 5watter. =]

Thanks, though.
Quote by -Collapse-
I can't have a single volume knob, because I'd have to crank it to get crunchy, and I can't, because I'm in a dorm smaller than a prison cell.

Also, a 12 inch speaker would be way to big to keep under the bed (I have that little room).
This is the exact size of the room including furniture:
http://www.ncsu.edu/housing/halls/images/floorplans/tri_towers_abc.jpg

I already own a bad monkey specifically for when I get a 5watter. =]

Thanks, though.

Hahahaha... State... Nah just kidding man... I'm from UNC.... I hope that's ok Anyway... I think blackheart has some really small like... 5 or 10 watters, which you might be able to crank.. .unless you wanna jam with that too...
Is it ok to reccomend things that can only be had/are only under $300 used? Because I've got a Vox VR30 which is a great little practice amp and pretty versatile with a bit of careful eqing, but it's discontinued so people would have to look for it used.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
I own an AD50VT and a DA5, and both are good amps. The AD50VT is good for pretty much anything, from low volume bedroom practice to small gigs. I got mine from GC for 300, new. The DA5 is an awesome, super portable little ****er. Can run on batteries or AC power, and has the same effects as the AD series.

As far as 5 and 15 watt tube combos go, my favorites tonewise are the Palomino V8, the Valve Junior, the Champion 600, the Blues Junior, the Palomino V16, the Valve Standard, and the Pro Junior...

I think those are all the low wattage tube amps that I have played extensively.

The Blues Junior has the best tone out of all of them, especially the NOS version, but it runs a bit more than the others. The Palomino is brighter and crunchier than the BJ, and has really sparkly, jangly cleans. The Valve Junior and Champion 600 make up for lack of versatility with pure tone. The Valve Standard is probably the best bargain out the bunch, and has a dark tone and warm cleans.

I hope this is a decent contribution to this thread
I'll take a stab at a review of the Vox VT's.

I don't really use cleans so when I first turn on an amp, I always check the gain. I am very picky about my gain. I like smooth, rich and thick gain. For an ss, the vox really delivers. It doesn't quite have that tube warmth but i was certainly impressed. The high gain settings aren't really that high gain. They could do thrash and hard rock. But stuff like nile? No way. The cleans were fairly decent as well. not too sterile like many ss amps and certainly some of the best in it's price range as far as ss amps go. I don't really know effects but I had a lot of fun playing around with them. A little digital sounding but much better than say, a spider. There is a wide variety of effects. the only one I didn't really like was the auto wah but I just like a real wah personally. My biggest problem was figuring out how to turn off effects. I had a lot of trouble doing it. Man, what an idiot The amp was a bit confusing in general but the sound was quite good. Maybe there is something in hybrids after all.
I think it would be best if the TS organized the contributions in the first post, so people don't have to trudge through pages of posts if this gets big.
Quote by noscottno711
Spider III (Brace for impact!)

+1

Quote by mcrfobtai
Damn man, so many new threads
I don't care, I have nothing better to do and this seems like a good idea.

Microcube
Vox AD
The whole set of 5w valve amps.
And when GC has a sale, the palomino v16 goes for 279
Best deal ever

There's always the V8.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by DarkPsychedelia
Hahahaha... State... Nah just kidding man... I'm from UNC.... I hope that's ok Anyway... I think blackheart has some really small like... 5 or 10 watters, which you might be able to crank.. .unless you wanna jam with that too...

Naa, jamming not too much of an issue.
I plan to join a band once I get there, but I'm going to keep my 4x12 in my brother's apartment for that.

Problem with the blackheart is that it once again only has a single volume knob.
Also, it's $75 more than all the others and has a 12" speaker, so it'd take up too much space. =[

Oh, and I'm sorry your school didn't get a manly color.
You guys look great at games in your power blue.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by Sonicxlover
+1

There's always the V8.

Which would be under the 5w valves
Thanks for the +1 tho
EDIT: Oh wait that wasn't for me. ****.
well i don't want to ruin the party but I like my little spider 3 15 watt for a practice amp, can do lots of diff stuff for pretty cheap.
Too much equipment to write down...
Quote by Cool55155
well i don't want to ruin the party but I like my little spider 3 15 watt for a practice amp, can do lots of diff stuff for pretty cheap.

It's an alright practice amp if you don't mind muddy tone while practicing (I can't stand it, but I'm stuck in solid state right now), But gigging and jamming will be impossible.

You don't realize how bad an amp sounds until you play it next to a better sounding one. (Some of the time)
ha ha, two other NC college guys in here? you were talkin NC state right? I'm ECU lol.

collapse, you are aware that you could just have a lower level and up the gain on the badmonkey if you were desperate for crunchy sound? I'll be taking my blackheart to the dorms at ECU and know i'll be able to get crunch sounds w/o breaking the rules, at night however i might use the Vox. I mean, go play a blackheart yourself and see for yourself the amount of volume at which it start to get crunchy (also test it with your OD pedal!). You might be surprised to find that you don't have to crank it even to half way to get crunch.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
imgooley, if you'd like to do a full review on an amp other than the vox line that'd be fine. i don't want to have amps from the same brand, i hope you understand why lol. the Da5 is similar enough to the AD30VT so that i don't need it up there except as maybe an alternative- no full review required.

TO ANYONE WANTING TO CONTRIBUTE: if you do end up doing one, try to organize it in a similar way that i did my review in, just so it becomes easier for people to read.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
ha ha, two other NC college guys in here? you were talkin NC state right? I'm ECU lol.

collapse, you are aware that you could just have a lower level and up the gain on the badmonkey if you were desperate for crunchy sound? I'll be taking my blackheart to the dorms at ECU and know i'll be able to get crunch sounds w/o breaking the rules, at night however i might use the Vox. I mean, go play a blackheart yourself and see for yourself the amount of volume at which it start to get crunchy (also test it with your OD pedal!). You might be surprised to find that you don't have to crank it even to half way to get crunch.

Well, my main thing is, I play everything from clean, to Blues, to Pop, to rock, to hard rock, to 70's/80's metal, to modern metal, to metalcore, to deathmetal.
I'm extremely diverse in my tastes.
So I figured I'd want to use the bad monkey to overdrive the amp's crunch to reach a metal sound.
I didn't really want to have to turn to my digitech Metal Master through a tube amp. haha.

Go Wolfpack.
well, collapse, ANY 5 watt tube amp is gonn need a pedal in front of it to get the extremes of the gain spectrum.

if anything, get yourself either the roland cube or vox like i described lol. just depends on which is more important, everything from cleans to hard rock, or hard rock to heavy metal.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
imgooley, if you'd like to do a full review on an amp other than the vox line that'd be fine. i don't want to have amps from the same brand, i hope you understand why lol. the Da5 is similar enough to the AD30VT so that i don't need it up there except as maybe an alternative- no full review required.

TO ANYONE WANTING TO CONTRIBUTE: if you do end up doing one, try to organize it in a similar way that i did my review in, just so it becomes easier for people to read.

I would imagine even though similar they may have different qualities to be touched on.
Even the same model amp has sonic differences between the low wattage and high wattage models.

Also, I think it'd be good to put in huge font at the start of a review what the amp being reviewed is, so it catches the eye to someone scrolling through.
Unless the TS organizes them on top, in which case he should still probably do that.

EDIT:

Quote by slash_rocks2005
well, collapse, ANY 5 watt tube amp is gonn need a pedal in front of it to get the extremes of the gain spectrum.

if anything, get yourself either the roland cube or vox like i described lol. just depends on which is more important, everything from cleans to hard rock, or hard rock to heavy metal.

Oh, I was under the impression the 5 watters could do metal if you put an OD on top of their crunchy tube OD.
Am I incorrect?

Worst case scenario, the metal master will sound better on the 5 watter than my 15 watt crates **** distortion. Great cleans, but horrid muddy toneless distortion. It can't even be saved by a pedal. Because for some reason if you put a distortion pedal into the clean channel it gets as muddy as the amp's distortion. lmao.
mcrfobtai, you're input is included in the OP now

oh and collapse, check the original post on the first page. i've updated it w/ the first review. I would never want people to have to read through all the pages to get to their info, lol that'd be a huge pain.

i dont even know how to use bold font ...what's the code for it on here? I have the amp's name in all caps, i beleive it's easy to read. also, what's the code for quoting people here in the forums? i have never known it and always do the stupid quotation marks instead. i spend more time reading up on stuff rather than figuring out the cool internet lingo and effects....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
mcrfobtai, you're input is included in the OP now

oh and collapse, check the original post on the first page. i've updated it w/ the first review. I would never want people to have to read through all the pages to get to their info, lol that'd be a huge pain.

i dont even know how to use bold font ...what's the code for it on here? I have the amp's name in all caps, i beleive it's easy to read. also, what's the code for quoting people here in the forums? i have never known it and always do the stupid quotation marks instead. i spend more time reading up on stuff rather than figuring out the cool internet lingo and effects....

Quoting can either be done by clicking the "quote" button at the bottom right of someone's post, or by using "quote=the name of the person who posted" at the start and "/quote" at the end of the quote. the "quote" and "/quote" each have to be in square brackets though.

Font and size can be changed most easily in the advanced reply which can be reached by quoting someone or editing a post or clicking "go advanced" under the quick reply at the bottom of the page.
It's all above the text box.
"font - size - color .... etc."

Oh, and I edited my post above to respond to your last post about 5 watters, just in case you missed it..
Quote by noscottno711
Spider III (Brace for impact!)

I'll be honest the other day at Guitar Center I spent a good 15-30 minutes just playing with the Spider III. For low volume and indoor practice I think it's actually a very usable amp. A bit digital but it's quite versatile.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Quote by slash_rocks2005

Okie dokie.

I'll do the Valve Standard then.

Epiphone Valve Standard DSP.

Price: $299.00 USD

Wattage: 15

Amplification: Full Tube, class A, push pull, El84 power tubes, 12AX7 preamp.

The Deal: I do not own this amp, but have played it extensively (20-40 hours). It is a tone giant. It is very dark and warm, and is unique in that respect when compared to other 15 watters in it's price range. I was looking at it because I needed the warmth and dynamic control that you can only really get with tube amps. It is loud enough to get over a drummer in a band situation, and is suitable for small gigs. Man, does this sucker get loud. I had the pleasure of dime-ing this sonuvabitch, and it purrs like a tiger. It has a soft breakup, and not a lot of gain, so it's most suitable for classic rock, blues, and jazz.

The Peripherals: It has 4 built in effects. The only really usable one is the reverb, which is separate from the other three. The effects tend to suck out some of the tone and warmth. The only other one that is worth mention is the chorus, and it sounds best when set on the lowest setting. The amp itself has one channel and a master volume, so you can get pretty nice overdrive at reasonable volumes. It still sounds nice at bedroom volumes. But after cranking, this thing really shines. Like I said before, it purrs like a tiger.

The Drawbacks: The Valve Standard is a one trick pony. Like I said before, it really isn't suitable for high gain. I put a Digitech Screamin Blues and a Big Muff in front of it, and it pulled a nice Black Keys/White Stripes, but that's as heavy as it can get. I would not recommend this amp to a metalhead, at all. Also, the effects tend to suck the tone out. Especially the phaser and flanger. The Reverb sounds nice when set low, but sounds very digital and processed when set high. It is usable, though, unlike the other effects settings.

The Verdict: My favorite 15 watt amp. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you want a dirty blues, classic rock, or garage tone, this is the amp for you. It doesn't have enough headroom to pull sparkly cleans out in a live gig situation, but if you don't really need it, you can gig with it no problem. It stands out from the Palomino/Crate 15 watters in it's dark tone, whereas the Crate amps have a brighter sound.

Sufficient?

EDIT: I think you should include similar amps in the reviews. Like the Epiphone Valve Special is very similar to the Valve Standard, so I feel it needs mentioning (the only real difference is that it's 5 instead of 15 watts)\

So include the entire AD and DA series in the valvetronix catagory?
Last edited by imgooley at Jun 25, 2008,
^ Our rhythm guitarist just got a Valve Standard that review was actually reassuring as I wasn't too sure about the amp.

Edit: Might actually be a Valve Special but I really couldn't tell.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
^ Our rhythm guitarist just got a Valve Standard that review was actually reassuring as I wasn't too sure about the amp.

Edit: Might actually be a Valve Special but I really couldn't tell.

The Valve Special isn't really suitable for a gigging situation. It's only 5 watts, and has a 10 inch speaker instead of a 12. The speaker in the Valve Standard is the same as the speaker in the Blues Custom. If he got the Valve Standard, your pretty well off.

EDIT: mister slash_rocks, I think that it is also mentionable that the addition of an OD to the Valvetronix series does much in shoring up the loose low end. Do you agree?
Last edited by imgooley at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
The Valve Special isn't really suitable for a gigging situation. It's only 5 watts, and has a 10 inch speaker instead of a 12. The speaker in the Valve Standard is the same as the speaker in the Blues Custom. If he got the Valve Standard, your pretty well off.

EDIT: mister slash_rocks, I think that it is also mentionable that the addition of an OD to the Valvetronix series does much in shoring up the loose low end. Do you agree?

Well we jammed with a drummer a few weeks back and he got over the mix easily....actually had to turn him down a bit.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Well we jammed with a drummer a few weeks back and he got over the mix easily....actually had to turn him down a bit.

That little bastard is a beast of an amp. For only 300 bucks, new, as well. I'm sure a person could find one for 200 used, easily.
^ Yeah i'm hoping to see what reviews are made about these Epi. tube amps, my Peavey is really hard to transport so it might not be a bad idea to get one of these little tube amps.

Page 1 of 2