i use a mixer to my computer. there are 4 drum mics, and 1 mic for my guitar.. my guitar is a 40 watt tube and has a higher volume on the mixer, but it seems to be drowned out by the snare drum and cymbols, and seems muffled. can someone help me?? here is my myspace so you can see what i mean

www.myspace.com/electricdawn1
Absolutley send me the recordings and I'll give it the timbaland once over. That's why they call me 'little white timbaland'!!
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
depending on the program you are using, try putting a compressor on the guitar.. it works for my band in mixcraft.... also, it could be the sound you have.. the heavy distortion gives a lower perceived volume than the snare even though it may be louder dB wise... i'd try and use a compressor on it... it makes it sound more pronounced
I'm assuming this mixer is running into the computer as a mixdown (ie, you just record out of the mixer to one or two tracks).

Basically, from what I hear, you are recording in mono (everything panned to the middle).

From a mixer, if you're running out one channel into your computer then there's not much you can do about that.

There should be stereo outs on your mixer. How are you running from the mixer to PC? If you're running 1/4" out, there should be a left and right out. If you get another 1/4" cable and a converter to go from two mono 1/4" ins to one stereo 1/4" out (or an 1/8" out to save you buying another converter) you can pan on your mixer to give separation in your mix.

A suggestion might be to have the kick and snare in the middle, and have two mics out the front in the middle of the kit, one directly above the other, pointing outwards at a 90 degree intersection to one another. Pan one hard left and one hard right.

Then you pan the guitar a little bit either left or right (based on preference).

Also, what mics do you have, and which instruments do you typically use them on?

One final point is that although your guitar has an overall higher level than the individual drum tracks, they are all one instrument in the mix, so they will combine and get louder than the guitar, not to mention the fact that the drums are a typically loud instrument, so will probably seep into the guitar mic.

To fix this a little more, try pointing the mic away from the drum kit as much as possible and move the amp further away from the kit.
What he means I think is that your recording the guitar amp with one microphone. In a studio they had 50 microphones around the room to record awsomeness from every facet. So you probably have the microphones mixed to middle or something is what he is about.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
What mixer are you using?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Basically, your recordings are mono (i.e. everything is panned to the centre).

Is this the mixer you have? http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20

If so, are you able to multi-track (on our computer sing this (record every microphone on its own channel)? If you can, then you should be able to pan everything in the program you use.

If not you only get a mixdown from the mixer, just make sure you pan on the mixer, and provided you're recording on a stereo track (not mono) everything should be panned on the recording.

The mic you linked to probably isn't ideal for guitar or drums, but if it's what you have it should suffice. It may help to contrast the guitar in the mix, however, if you buy a different sounding mic for it (I'm assuming, of course, that you have 5 of those mics and that's what you're using).
Basically you'll need to use pan and level to get your instruments to sit right in the mix.

I do believe that mixer sends your PC a stereo mix, so things will need to be cleaned up before that on the mixer.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic