So I recently got an SG Special Faded Cherry. I've been playing for 2.5 years, so I'm not super experienced.

But I know something is wrong with my tuners. My strings are constantly going out of tune. It only takes a minute to get it out of tune with a few bends, especially on the b and e strings. And its not that I'm bending the strings to their breaking point, it happens even if I do any vibrato stuff. It goes out of tune so terribly that the notes practically all go flat. It's not an every-ten-minute problem where I can just turn the tuning knobs a tad before every other song. They go out of tune during songs and it really pisses me off.

To anyone who has the same guitar: did this happen? Is it normal? If not, what would you recommend (I can't return it. I got it for $500 because it was on sale and then got the guitar nut changed to lefty and it set up to play lefty (yeah, if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm left handed) so I can't go back and ask to return it). Does anyone know if Gibson has some kind of warranty on crappy parts?

-Bryan
I've got the same guitar, and mine stays in tune quite well. How new are the strings? If they're new, and the guitar wasn't strung properly it will go out of tune quickly until you break them in.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
yeah, its always done it
ive had it for three months, and the strings have always gone out of tune, despite the fact that i've used three dif strings. ive used elixirs, ernie ball 10s, and ernie ball 9s. i'm fairly sure i broke them in, i played on it for several hours a day. but im just fed up with it now

our band is pulling together and i find my ****ty fender ce-100 elec-acoustic more reliable.
1) Did you stretch the strings when you put them on and retune after stretching them a bit? this will help a lot.

2) Did you go to some large gauge string? They come with 10's. If you go much larger, the strigns could be binding or sticking in the nut as you bend or vibrato. What happens is that when you do these things, the string moves back and forth ever so slightly over the nut as you apply and release tension (which changes the pitch). If the strings are too large for the slots in the nut (the nut is cut for a certain gauge) they may not return to their in tune position but bind or snag which means they come back to the wrong pitch. Surest sign of that is if you hear a pinging or plinking kind of sound as you tune up.that's the string basically sticking and then slipping up to the pitch you've actually tuned to when the tension gets too much for the nut to keep binding it. If this is the case, go back to a lower gauge of strings, use a lubricant like graphite, or have your nut recut by a professional for the gauge of strings your'e going to use.

3) Are you subjecting the instrument to drastic and/or sudden changes in temperature? THis could cause the wood to expand and contract. Since wood is organic and there are ltos of other things in there like metal hardware, glues, finishes, etc, it's not going to expand or contract uniformly. If this is the problem, let the isntrument gradually come up or down to the temperature of the environment and then retune if necessary.
yeah, with the strings, i've all the tricks and hints and whatnot in order to get em to stay in tune
and even with my crappier guitars i have absolutely no problem staying in tune. itll stay in tune for a few days w/o me having to worry

i used 10 elixirs, 10 ernies, and 9 ernies
i have 10s in right now and yes, when i took it in to a professional he did the nut for 10s

and no, my room ranges from 74-78 degrees with almost no changes in humidity. i live in OC, so its not exposed to super dry or super humid weather. everything is comfortable
you can contact gibson support, afaik theres a lifetime warranty on any issues due to manufacturing, so maybe they will help you
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Take it back to the guy who fitted the 'nut' first, then if he cant suss the problem, back to the original place you bought it from. The fact that you have changed the nut shouldnt have anything to do with the way the tuners, tune. You may find they are very helpful. Contacting Gibson & asking where you stand r.e. warranty is a good idea as well, even if you have to pay postage.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by lcaptainlcapl
yeah, with the strings, i've all the tricks and hints and whatnot in order to get em to stay in tune
and even with my crappier guitars i have absolutely no problem staying in tune. itll stay in tune for a few days w/o me having to worry

i used 10 elixirs, 10 ernies, and 9 ernies
i have 10s in right now and yes, when i took it in to a professional he did the nut for 10s

and no, my room ranges from 74-78 degrees with almost no changes in humidity. i live in OC, so its not exposed to super dry or super humid weather. everything is comfortable

You have the strings wrapped around the pegs three or more winds per string?
I'd say change the tuners. I usually boil my strings in a pot of water, might help. I don't know.
Maybe it's something you can fix without changing the tuners, but if it's not, invest in some good tuners.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
those guitars come with crap tuners, get better ones.

Gibson deluxe tuners? I think not. You'd have to string it with this method I posted and mine never went out of tune again. I did had that problem before so this proves that my tuners are not unwinding themselves.

It should work with any other tuners that are not locking types.
Quote by PanHead
Gibson deluxe tuners? I think not. You'd have to string it with this method I posted and mine never went out of tune again. I did had that problem before so this proves that my tuners are not unwinding themselves.

It should work with any other tuners that are not locking types.

I hate Gibson Tuners, the ones on my standard were crap as well. I put on a set of Grovers, and it's a thousand times better.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I hate Gibson Tuners, the ones on my standard were crap as well. I put on a set of Grovers, and it's a thousand times better.

+1 only my current SG came with Grovers as a standard feature and it was cheaper than SG standard, some of those gimmick guitars Gibson put's out are actually a really good deal.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Chorduroy
You have the strings wrapped around the pegs three or more winds per string?

yeah, each string is at least 3 winds
Quote by Sid McCall

i dont have any problems with them on both my sg and les paul. but i'll probably upgrade to these grovers in the future just for the heck of it
Quote by lcaptainlcapl
yeah, each string is at least 3 winds

Try less winds. Tuners with tons of string wraps will take forever to stretch out. I never wrap my tuners more than twice.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack