Poll: Which is more unhealthy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more unhealthy?
The smoking option
85 67%
The fast food option
41 33%
Voters: 126.
Page 1 of 2
I was asking myself this. Which is more unhealthy: Smoking 0.5 - 1 pack of cigarettes everyday, or eating a meal of fast food everyday?

I think smoking is probably worse, but I think that even though smoking is viewed by the public pretty much as bad as it is, I think fast food isn't that much better. I eat a lot of fast food, but I still think this. The public doesn't view fast food nearly as bad as smoking cigarretes, when I think it's pretty high up there.
The thing is, with fast food you can burn off the calories and be productive. You can't get rid of the effects of smoking.
depends if you exercise, if yes, then its the cigarettes.
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Cigarettes are way worse. With both you'll gain weight, it's just that one will be cancer weight.
depends, do u want no heart or no lungs?
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
Quote by The Madcap
I was asking myself this. Which is more unhealthy: Smoking 0.5 - 1 pack of cigarettes everyday, or eating a meal of fast food everyday?

I think smoking is probably worse, but I think that even though smoking is viewed by the public pretty much as bad as it is, I think fast food isn't that much better. I eat a lot of fast food, but I still think this. The public doesn't view fast food nearly as bad as smoking cigarretes, when I think it's pretty high up there.

I think eating fast food occasionally doesn't do much bad at all as long as your diet is regularly balanced.
If you eat it a lot, then yes, you're ****ed.
Quote by dylpikle9
The thing is, with fast food you can burn off the calories and be productive. You can't get rid of the effects of smoking.

It's not just calories with fast food though, it's also an assload of cholesterol and trans fats, both of which are pretty hard to get rid of if they build up.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I think they are both extremely unhealthy, but you can reverse the effects of fast food and weight gain, but not so much with smoking.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter

That's a good point, but eating too much fast food can still clog up your arteries.
i voted smoking though.
To soulfly, I eat fast food pretty much everyday.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It's not just calories with fast food though, it's also an assload of cholesterol and trans fats, both of which are pretty hard to get rid of if they build up.

True, but cancer is harder to get rid of.
I guess it doesn't matter to me. I enjoy both.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by dylpikle9

Tans fats are known to cause cancer if I'm not mistaken, if not they are highly suspected of it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by _Ox_
Cigarettes are way worse. With both you'll gain weight, it's just that one will be cancer weight.

cancer weight.
Call me Trey.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Does fast food include stuff like Subway that's relatively healthy compared to McDonald's and such? If so, smoking.
Nah, I find it hard to consider Subway fast food. The food isn't so cheap and filled with preservatives, and the vast majorit don't have drive-thru windows.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Tans fats are known to cause cancer if I'm not mistaken, if not they are highly suspected of it.

And I thought I was on a smart streak
They are both bad. watch Fast Food Nation. You will see how truly unhealthy our food is.
It is sad, we allow animals to sit, crammed in feedlots with genetically altered food and there own manure. This gets into our food! Factories are ran so fast that people are injured every day and deceases such as mad cow and ecoli are fed to us because the workers are not trained well enough. This is all a product of Americans wanting things cheap and over consuming food. I'm not saying to go vegan, I'm just saying know where your food comes from.
actually your lungs begin to repair themselves not long after your last smoke... depending on how long you've been smoking for you can get pretty close to full strength again, in time, and with exercise. granted, cancer doesn't go away once you have it. but i'd imagine the amount of preservatives and insane **** in the average fast food meal probably causes some kind of cancer too. diabetes also does not go away, so theres that as well.
obesity is just as big a problem as smoking, just less advertised cause tons of pc idiots, and fat people, are up in arms as soon as you suggest that they have a problem. i hate to sound like a dick, but humans aren't meant to be hugely fat any more than they are meant to be inhaling cyanide and formaldehyde. and certainly we aren't mean to be ingesting pounds of processed food followed by a litre of liquid sugar at any time let alone in 1 sitting
Last edited by broken fusion! at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by dylpikle9

It's also pretty crappy to get new arteries too, though.
I was thinking of this the other day.
If you eat fast food everyday/you're lazy, you're probably going to die of something like a heart attack or stroke.
If you smoke like that everyday, you're probably going to die from some kind of cancer.
Either way, you're just picking your poison. I think they are equally bad.
I plays guitars.
smokoing. you can choose what you get at a fast food place. some stuff's healthier than others.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by broken fusion!
actually your lungs begin to repair themselves not long after your last smoke... depending on how long you've been smoking for you can get pretty close to full strength again, in time. granted, cancer doesn't go away once you have it. but i'd imagine the amount of preservatives and insane **** in the average fast food meal probably causes some kind of cancer too. diabetes also does not go away, so theres that as well.
obesity is just as big a problem as smoking, just less advertised cause tons of pc idiots, and fat people, are up in arms as soon as you suggest that they have a problem. i hate to sound like a dick, but humans aren't meant to be hugely fat any more than they are meant to be inhaling cyanide and formaldehyde

Err.. No?
Quote by dylpikle9

pretty much. exercising can pretty well take care of the bad effects of fast food. also, if you eat healthy for your other meals then it can balance out.

there isnt much you can do to counter the effects of smoking. exercise might help, but not as much as with fast food.
I'd rather smoke half a pack of cigarettes per day than eat a value meal at McDonald's every day. That much fat and cholesterol is extremely dangerous. Smoking wouldn't really begin to affect me (I think) until my later years. However, burning an average amount of calories per day, McDonald's would begin to affect my health not soon after beginning that diet.
Quote by Whatley2212
Err.. No?
Eh, I've heard too that lungs do repair themselves if a smoker stops smoking. I doubt they do on the first day, but still.

http://www.quitsmokingstop.com/repairtolungsbodyandcellsafterquittingsmoking.html

I know it doesn't look like the most valid source, but I haven't looked too hard.
i think that smoking is much more unhealthy. smoking kills your lungs while eating unhealthy food makes you fat, blocking your arteries. but the blockage in your arteries can be cured if you exercise. damaging your lungs is permanent.
tats in my opinion.

everyone, please watch this video. its funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=015ou-fLKTo
Over a basketball season I pretty much ate fast food once a day. No bad effects. If it's one meal a day rather than two or three there shouldn't be nearly as much harm as smoking.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Whatley2212
Err.. No?

Err.. Yes.

http://www.stop-smoking-updates.com/quitsmoking/quitting-benefits/health-benefits/positive-and-negative-side-effects-of-quitting-smoking.htm

Granted you'll never be 100%, and health risks are still there though rapidly diminished. And obviously the time it takes to get there will be dependent on how long you've been smoking.
Give it a read. And try to know what you're talking about next time, you know, before you get your "one-word-pretentious-post" on. As fun as it is.
Quote by calebrocker
smokoing. you can choose what you get at a fast food place. some stuff's healthier than others.

Filtered/Unfiltered? Light?

Granted studies show that there's not much difference, but the apparent choice is there.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by rokket2005
I don't think McDonald's has given anyone cancer.

Point fast food.

maybe not directly, but feel free google the relationship between diet and various kinds of cancer and you will find pages and pages and pages of studies showing that there is a connection.

Quote by doggy_hat
You can't really compare the two, they both damage the body, but in different ways.

Well, both affect your fitness level negatively, and cause damage to your body's critical organs. So they are pretty similar. The only difference is that one is socially acceptable and the other is much less so.
Last edited by broken fusion! at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by dylpikle9

Actually.... you can some-what. If you jog and stuff and do cardio exercises every day the negative effects will take longer to come on and wont be as hard.... both are still bad though.

Besides, in Supersize Me the guy eats fast food every day (yeah I know we were talking about 1 meal a day, but still even that) and almost ceases to live after only a month. Cigarettes will take a long time to have that sort of thing happen.
Smoking. You can't undo the damage it does to you, where-as with 1 fast-food meal a day you can easily work it off.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
i really think that eating fast foods worse. How many bad things can happen because your fat?

how many from smoking?
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Eating 0.5 - 1 packs of fast cigarettes
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by dylpikle9

yes you can, if you quit for i think 6 or 7 years, the effects on your lung will be completely gone and will go back to normal. I learned that in health ed
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Page 1 of 2