Yes commercial music. The Argument is "Are the Commercial bands good or are they just posers?" Well i dont think being in front of the media quite oftenly and taking teir attention and finally ending up on Conan o' Brien does not necessarily mean youre bad. This kind of thinking is pretty popular in the Metal, Death Metal, Doom Metal area. I just dont understand it. People keep on saying their music is not real music and they are just posers when the posers album sells at least 3 million more than their favourite band?!. Is this just jealousy or does it have some truth in it?.

What do you think?.
People who end up on Conana O'Brien and other such talk shows (Ellen, Live with Regis and Kelly, Oprah) have most likely ended up there because they have either written a song or had a song written for them that was designed, first and foremost, for radio play. This takes away the very integrity of the music itself, and hence-the mindless pop drivel that you hear one week nigh constantly, before they are washed away by next weeks new thing. Much like méme's on 4chan. Therefore, people who are used to a standard quality in their music (Metal) are nonplussed by Pop music, as it does not contain the artistic depth and technical skill that their preffered genre does (For every Blink 182 and Soulja Boy of the world, there is a Necrophagist and an Opeth to counterattack).
Last edited by captainoid at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by captainoid
People who end up on Conana O'Brien and other such talk shows (Ellen, Live with Regis and Kelly, Oprah) have most likely become so because they have either written a song or had a song written for them that was designed, first and foremost, for radio play. This takes away the very integrity of the music itself, and hence-the mindless pop drivel that you hear one week nigh constantly, before they are washed away by next weeks new thing. Much like méme's on 4chan. Therefore, people who are used to a standard quality in their music (Metal) are nonplussed by Pop music, as it does not contain the artistic depth and technical skill that their preffered genre does (For every Blink 182 and Soulja Boy of the world, there is a Necrophagist and an Opeth to counterattack).

You could just happen to write music, and the general public may happen to like it?

Looked at your music list, you can't argue pop artists have no integrity if you like The Beatles. They had integrity, and who's more popular than them?

So instead of acting like your so cool because you don't like modern pop, because it 'has no integrity', you could just say you don't like the music.

Also, it isn't THAT easy to write a song that millions of people will buy, so despite metal fans thinking their music is so much better, it infact isn't. The knowledge of theory, and song writing skills that go into alot of pop songs are much more than most people would realise. It just seems no one takes the time to listen to that stuff.
Last edited by Regression at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by Regression
You could just happen to write music, and the general public may happen to like it?

Looked at your music list, you can't argue pop artists have no integrity if you like The Beatles. They had integrity, and who's more popular than them?

So instead of acting like your so cool because you don't like modern pop, because it 'has no integrity', you could just say you don't like the music.

Also, it isn't THAT easy to write a song that millions of people will buy, so despite metal fans thinking their music is so much better, it infact isn't. The knowledge of theory, and song writing skills that go into alot of pop songs are much more than most people would realise. It just seems no one takes the time to listen to that stuff.

Well said, and now that I read my post, I could've come off as somewhat of an elitist prick
/embarrased and apologetic.

EDIT: Hey hey now, play nice. Let's just agree that every genre has it's fair share of talented musicians who rise above the rest because they are good at what they do.
Last edited by captainoid at Jun 25, 2008,
Well im not into the soulja boy **** so Anyway i like your way of seeing things. Radio music has to match some standards which will screw up the whole beauty of it. Such as Crank That or the song Summer Jam (i hate that one). I guess we will always be there as rebels
Sure, every genre has talent (although mainstream isn't a genre). I'm positive all artists in the business like music too. It just happens to be so that people that just want to cash in find themselves to write mainstream music (this is logical thinking as there is more money to be made with mainstream music).