First off, this is my first post ever here! YAY?!

So I'm looking for a new electric guitar
and I love the Gibson ES-335...
but theres no way I'm paying $2,000 for it

So I was looking for some things close to it, came across the Epiphone Dot and loved it right away. Its only $400 so I'm not expecting to highly of it.
But all the reviews seem pretty good.
Yet some say that It has some issues, like staying in tune, the finish is bad and wearing,
and a few other minor things.
I have played it at guitar center and I was very comfortable with it...

So I was just wondering if there were any other cheap knock offs of the ES-335 that might be better?

Thanks!
You will be wonderfully surprised if you aren't expecting much from the Dot. Semi-hollows is where Epiphone really shines the most. IMO, the Sheraton II is a better guitar, though.

You might also want to look into the Ibanez Artcore series, specifically the AS73 and the ASG83.
The other guitarist in my old band used an epiphone dot, he loved it and I liked it too. You might want to change the pick ups but they're still pretty good for the price.

The only problem he had was the input jack stopped working. And you can imagine what fun it was trying to fix it... pushing it through the f holes etc.
Quote by War-Pig
The other guitarist in my old band used an epiphone dot, he loved it and I liked it too. You might want to change the pick ups but they're still pretty good for the price.

The only problem he had was the input jack stopped working. And you can imagine what fun it was trying to fix it... pushing it through the f holes etc.

Lulz, that happened on my Artcore. All you have to do is make sure the nut is tight, and you're fine.
The dot is an EXCELLENT guitar for its price range. The bridge, pickups, pots, switch(though the gibsons are crap too) all could be better, but you know, Gibson(which owns epiphone corporately) has to leave some for themselves. Also, the input jack on newer models can fall in. It's a ****ing bitch to fish it out, too. Mine actually had the jack nut strip, and if the locktite on it breaks, I'm buying a 3/4" jack instead of the 1/4".

But the differences pretty much end there, they're both maple, both set neck, both set up and inspected in USA, both very high quality guitars.

Depending on HOW much coin you've got on top of the 400, I'd say go for an HSC, a new pair of pickups with pot change to match, a better 3-way switch, and if yours has a problem, input jack, if you still have another 100 or so past that, one word: Bigsby.
I put a GFS vintage 59 in the neck and a Mean 90 in the bridge on mine, and man, i've got everything I need for blues, jazz, early Rock n' roll.
Gibson's pots are good, I'm not sure of better ones. Kind of hard to get through the F-holes, though, lot of guys use mini pots.
I got a roller bridge in anticipation of getting a bigsby, and I've not broken a sting since, quite handy, and the tune almost never "slips" right when you get close(and when it does, it's form the plastic nut, man do I ever need to get a graphite one).
Anyway, all these upgrades shouldn't be over 200 bucks, no matter where you get them(except pickup upgrades, but GFS only sells on guitarfetish.com anyway) and the bigsby will be another 100 or so.
But it's a top quality in looks and sound when you're done, well worth it.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Also, I'd like yo point you in the direction of the official epiphone forums. forums.epiphone.com
Great people, really nice, they'll give ya great advice.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!