I'm going to get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe very soon, and I'm wondering if I should use a good distortion pedal for my high-gain sounds, or put another OD pedal on top of the amp's OD? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
The OD on the HRD is pretty useless IMO. You can put an OD in front of the amps OD and it will sound better, though.
well my experience is that it makes a completely different sound to one source of distortion. compared to the same amount of gain from one overdrive, an overdrive going into an already overdriven amp is fatter but has much less clarity and tightness. some bass notes also have a weird feel to them as well. For this reason i am against having overdrive into overdrive in most cases. I think boost into overdriven amp sounds better to me.

remember that satch and vai use distortion pedals and still manage to have good tone (understatement). distortion pedals in general really arent sin but cheap, high gain ones are.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Jun 25, 2008,
Get a high gain pedal...
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Bodenhamer modded Maxon OD808
Marshall DSL 401 Combo
Mesa/Boogie F-50 w/ Marshall TSL 2x12 cab
Quote by DDoug
I'm going to get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe very soon, and I'm wondering if I should use a good distortion pedal for my high-gain sounds, or put another OD pedal on top of the amp's OD? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you don't like the OD on the Hot Rod (and many don't), why not look for a different amp?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
If you don't like the OD on the Hot Rod (and many don't), why not look for a different amp?

that's a quite drastic solution IMO.
swapping out the 12ax7 for a 5751 would be a good start.
Quote by The red Strat.
that's a quite drastic solution IMO.
swapping out the 12ax7 for a 5751 would be a good start.

That would be the more drastic solution, actually, being that he hasn't gotten the amp yet.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
To clarify, I like the OD on the Fender HRD, but I think it is very weak for higher gain sounds, so I want to know if putting an OD on top of the overdriven amp will sound better than using a high-gain distortion pedal. I'm not asking if an OD pedal will be better than the amp's OD, but thank you for the help.
-Bugera 333XL 212
you like it ?

are we talking about the same amp here ?!

an od on top of an overdriven amp generally sounds better than a stand alone distotion pedal, but an od pedal over the HR's drive or more drive channel won't sound good.
Get something like the Jekyll & Hyde. It's a very good OD on one side (a TS808 clone), and a high gain distortion pedal on the other. They can be used separately, or in conjunction with each other. Should be able to get you most of the tones you want.

Even with a heavy pedal (which the J&H pretty much is), a Fender Hot Rod isn't going to be a heavy amp. If you can try out a Traynor YCV 40 before you buy, I'd advise you to.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Get something like the Jekyll & Hyde. It's a very good OD on one side (a TS808 clone), and a high gain distortion pedal on the other. They can be used separately, or in conjunction with each other. Should be able to get you most of the tones you want.

Even with a heavy pedal (which the J&H pretty much is), a Fender Hot Rod isn't going to be a heavy amp. If you can try out a Traynor YCV 40 before you buy, I'd advise you to.
How much would that pedal set me back? And as for liking the distortion, it's been a while since I've tried it out so I could be mis-remembering. And since you seem to want to recommend different amps, which would you recommend? Keep in mind, I want the ability to have some high gain, but If I would like good cleans (In other words, nothing that has completely **** cleans).

Oh, and around the same price as the HRD.
-Bugera 333XL 212
The pedal's about $140, I think. I already suggested a Traynor YCV 40, which suits your parameters to a tee. Great, Fender-like cleans, ballsier gain. Peavey Classics are worth a look, too. They have nice cleans and do solid hard rock without a pedal.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The pedal's about $140, I think. I already suggested a Traynor YCV 40, which suits your parameters to a tee. Great, Fender-like cleans, ballsier gain. Peavey Classics are worth a look, too. They have nice cleans and do solid hard rock without a pedal.
Ouch, that would set me back quite a bit. As for the amp, where might I be able to try this out? There are no good music shops where I am, we only have a Guitar Center.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
Ouch, that would set me back quite a bit. As for the amp, where might I be able to try this out?

The interweb is your friend: Traynor Dealers

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.