In your opinion which is the best op-amp and why?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
JRC4558D is the best IMO its the tried and tested chip! sounds much better than the stock version unless you already have a JRC4558D in there! depends what sound you want to get really. if youre looking for a higher gain version you might want to look into the JRC4558DD or change your drive pot.
In the 80's most screamers used the RC4558 chip, this is the chip that Robert Keeley prefers; wheras analog man uses JRC4558Ds basically I'd recommend you socket it and try all sorts of different dual op-amps. Heres a good resource to read for info on the history of the chips etc.

http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm
nice
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Entrant_21
JRC4558D is the best IMO its the tried and tested chip! sounds much better than the stock version unless you already have a JRC4558D in there! depends what sound you want to get really. if youre looking for a higher gain version you might want to look into the JRC4558DD or change your drive pot.
In the 80's most screamers used the RC4558 chip, this is the chip that Robert Keeley prefers; wheras analog man uses JRC4558Ds basically I'd recommend you socket it and try all sorts of different dual op-amps. Heres a good resource to read for info on the history of the chips etc.

http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm

This

Give both a try as they are often considered the two original chips.
Quote by mcrfobtai
This

Give both a try as they are often considered the two original chips.

true but are they better than the rest?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
"Better" is a silly idea when it comes to tone. It's all preference.
I prefer the analog.man JRC...whatever it is myself. Actually, the "secret chip" in the Eternity is my favorite, but you can't buy those.
Quote by edge11
true but are they better than the rest?

They might not be 'better' on paper but they certainly are when it comes to tone