Hi,

Just wondering if there is any difference between the finish on a Gibson Les Paul (solid colour) and the finish on a PRS custom 22, high end model....?

Thanks
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Bodenhamer modded Maxon OD808
Marshall DSL 401 Combo
Mesa/Boogie F-50 w/ Marshall TSL 2x12 cab
There are many variables to consider... satin? gloss???
They both use Nitrocellulose as far as I know... maby thickness of the finish? primers?
Youd have to give specific models.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Don't PRS use a high-quality top? Don't know much about finishes but I have no doubt PRS's will be amazing.
The PRS finishes look amazing. Better than on any gibby I've ever seen. Even the SE finishs are amazing!

The PRS finishes are all done by hand, I believe.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I'm talking about the finish on the neck of a Gibson Les Paul Custom ebony compared to the finish on the neck of a PRS Satana III?

I'm looking to get the neck on my les paul refinished as i find it too sticky however i felt the neck o a PRS Santana II and that felt really slick and comfortable - is there an actual difference or am i hallucinating?
Gear:

Marshall DSL 401 Combo
PRS customs use a poly finish so it will feel different
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
gishuk does your PRS neck get sticky easily or not?
Gear:

Marshall DSL 401 Combo
nope, not had any problems with stickyness, its a nice feel
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Gibson uses nitrocellulose finish for their guitars, including solid colours such as the Ebony Les Paul Custom. They are labour intensive and require alot of time and grime to get it right. Nitro finishes are very thin and less durable than standard polyester/polyurethane finishes other guitar company adopts, including PRS, but on the plus side it ages well and provides a vintage looking quality to it over time. I'm not gonna go into specifics but if you google it you'll find plenty of information on it.
Okay thanks, i really don't like the feel of the nitro finish so i think i'm going to go through with the refinish on the neck to either satin or poly... still undecided
Gear:

Marshall DSL 401 Combo
Well the only advantage I see of a poly finished neck of a nitro is the durability, but apart from that I would advice against it. Not to mention the cost and effort that comes with refinishing any part of the guitar, let alone the neck, and if you don't get it right it'll be a huge regret. Think carefully on this one.