|-0-0-2--3--2--5--3--2h3p2---|-----2--3--2---------3/5-2--||
|--------------------------3-|-1-1----------3-3----------o||
|----------------------------|----------------------------||

|_s_s_e__e__e__e__e__t_s_t_e_|_s_s_e__e__e__s_s_e_s_s_e__||

e = eighth
s = sixtenth
t = thirtysecond

tempo = 130

It sounds strangely familiar to me though and I wonder if I heard it from another song.

Does this look familiar to anyone?
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Jun 25, 2008,
I'm not sure about the rhythm, but it looks a lot like ghost riders of the sky.
Quote by Veqq
I'm not sure about the rhythm, but it looks a lot like ghost riders of the sky.

Thanks do you know the artist so I can listen to it?
Quote by szekelymihai
johnny cash
and the riff is one octave lower

but after playing the riff im not so sure its riders in the sky.Maybe he meant it by some other artist

Yeah I searched it on youtube lol, definitely not the same.

I tried to tab it out roughly in time, I'll put in timing
Quote by szekelymihai
it also sounds familiar to me.And **** it happens to me all the time, just made a riff and .... it sounds so familiar but cant do it.Then i forget how it went...

Yeah I'm going to be pissed off if this riff is already used by someone else 'cause I like it!
Upon first glance it looks slightly reminiscent of the solo/breakdown thingy in Broken by 12 Stones. It's after the second chorus I think, everything goes quiet except for the guitarist who plays a line, and the tabs look kinda like that. Go give that a listen and see if that's it.

Also a tempo would help for your riff.
sig goes here
If some one wants to put it in GuitarPro or whatever use a tempo around 130

EDIT: Skater beat me to it :P
Quote by Skater901
Upon first glance it looks slightly reminiscent of the solo/breakdown thingy in Broken by 12 Stones. It's after the second chorus I think, everything goes quiet except for the guitarist who plays a line, and the tabs look kinda like that. Go give that a listen and see if that's it.

Also a tempo would help for your riff.

You're right it does sound similar, thankfully not the same
^^ Haha I'm too quick for ya. Thanks for putting the tempo up.

So you think it's possibly Broken where you've heard it before?
sig goes here
Quote by Skater901
^^ Haha I'm too quick for ya. Thanks for putting the tempo up.

So you think it's possibly Broken where you've heard it before?

I don't actually think I've heard that song before, they aren't big in New Zealand.
But it sounds similar :P:

I'm so glad its not though because I really like this riff and hope that it being familiar is just a thing in my head at the moment.

I just keep hearing it with a really smooth metalish OD in my head, really clear like I heard it on TV somwhere
Well I'll throw it into GP in a minute and have a listen and see if I recognise it. It's always possible that you heard something like it a while ago, and you remembered it in your head, but you remembered it slightly different to how it was played. So you've created a riff based on what you remember, but what you remember is not the actual, riff, so although your riff is based on another riff it's not actually the same as another riff.

Yeah 12 Stones aren't that big, only reason I know about them is I have a friend who used to be obsessed with them and think they're awesome. I don't mind the band but they're not super amazing I don't think.
sig goes here
Quote by Skater901
Well I'll throw it into GP in a minute and have a listen and see if I recognise it. It's always possible that you heard something like it a while ago, and you remembered it in your head, but you remembered it slightly different to how it was played. So you've created a riff based on what you remember, but what you remember is not the actual, riff, so although your riff is based on another riff it's not actually the same as another riff.

Yeah 12 Stones aren't that big, only reason I know about them is I have a friend who used to be obsessed with them and think they're awesome. I don't mind the band but they're not super amazing I don't think.

Broken is quite a cool song though i like them from what I've heard haha.

Thats what I think might have happened. Although I hope not, if it's different I can still use it... I may aswell ditch the song if thats not my riff though
Quote by EnyoAdonai
Broken is quite a cool song though i like them from what I've heard haha.

Haha, well I'm glad to have introduced you to a new band.

Quote by EnyoAdonai
Thats what I think might have happened. Although I hope not, if it's different I can still use it... I may aswell ditch the song if thats not my riff though

Nah, don't ditch your song, just ditch that riff and come up with an even more awesome riff in it's place.

Ok, chucked it into Guitar Pro, and the first thing that came to mind was "OMGWTFBBQ HAX UNHOLY CONFESSIONS AVENGED SEVENFOLD LOLOLOLOLOL"
Now in English: it sounds to me like the opening riff of Unholy Confessions by Anveged Sevenfold. It's quite possible you heard them on MTV; after all, Diary Of Jane by Breaking Benjamin was on MTV at one stage I heard, and A7X aren't much heavier at all, so maybe you were listening to MTV in the background and that was playing. Anyway, check out that song, possible it's that riff.
sig goes here
Ah crap... *opens media player* I think you may have it right... it sounds so fu*king similar to that! damnit it!

I now hate them!
Hahahahahaha go for it dude. Just don't post in the metal forum saying you are, or the purists there will rape you.

As for your song, just change that riff. Or, if you think the song it useless now, send it my way. I'd love to have a shot at making something out of it if you don't like it. Or if you like I can try and come up with a riff to replace that one if you can't think of anything.

I'm pretty amazed I can remember the song when I don't even listen to Avenged Sevenfold. *loves his memory for songs/riffs*
sig goes here
Yeah I don't listen to them either, I just have a few albums in my media player from my mate who also doesn't listen to them lol.

Yeah I can make something of it, the intros ok I think. I was intending to use that riff for most of the song though. I can make other stuff anyway, I'm not having no avenged sevenfold in my songs.

TBH it was only half a song before that riff was cut out
Haha ok, go for it man. Best of luck with it. And make sure you post the finished result so I can see ok?
sig goes here