Are mixers obsolete for digital recording? Say I have an interface which mics can be plugged into. I am recording guitar and bass by putting a mic up to the amp. The mic is connected to the interface which is connected to my computer to transfer into digital sound.

1. Would I need a mixer for this if I have recording software on to my computer?

2. Would I need a mixer if I was recording drums with at least 6 mics if my interface only has 2 mic inputs?

thanks
Are mixers obsolete for digital recording? No. Say I have an interface which mics can be plugged into. I am recording guitar and bass by putting a mic up to the amp. The mic is connected to the interface which is connected to my computer to transfer into digital sound.

1. Would I need a mixer for this if I have recording software on to my computer? Depends on the amount of inputs to your PC - I'd guess you would though

2. Would I need a mixer if I was recording drums with at least 6 mics if my interface only has 2 mic inputs? No, you COULD record each drum separately... but I'd do it how you suggest. It's be easier to control levels that way.
If my interface only had ONE input, could I record each guitar/bass one at a time and then mix them on the computer?
Do you recommend using a mixer when digitally recording one guitar/bass at a time?
Last edited by paulvxD at Jun 25, 2008,
It depends.

For Home:

Personally, I wouldn't bother, unless you only have a LineIn on your PC (as opposed to MicIn).

I'd certainly record all the tracks (guitar I, guitar II, bass, drum, vocals) separately as it lets you EQ it all properly this way.

for Live:

Certainly would.
haha, wait, one more question... Does it matter what kind of sound card I have if I'm recording using an interface such as the Line 6 TonePorts? If it does, what kind of sound cards would you recommend?
It doesn't matter which soundcard you use, they pretty much all have a LineIn and a MicIn port.

I'd recommend going with the Audigy series of sound cards made by Creative. They have a good reputation for being great home cards, both for recording and playback and aren't toop pricey either.