Poll: Most Guitar Greats self taught?
Poll Options
View poll results: Most Guitar Greats self taught?
Self Taught
89 75%
Taught
54 45%
Voters: 119.
Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,
My friend and I were having a dispute about whether most guitar greats were self taught or taught by a teacher as such. I said that most guitar greats with some of the most respected techniques were self taught, he said the opposite.
PS: feel free to state how you learnt to play guitar
Mix of both.

There are great examples for both.

Lessons from a great teacher can't harm anyone.

If you can get some, get some.

What else is there to say, really?
both, taught for 6 years and now 5 years on my own exploring different styles and teaching children myself.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Jackolas
Mix of both.

There are great examples for both.

Lessons from a great teacher can't harm anyone.

If you can get some, get some.

What else is there to say, really?

+1

/thread
does youtube count as a teacher????
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
I'm self-taught. Never had a lesson in my life, but I'd love to take a few. I'm sure my playing would improve a lot.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
joe satriani taucht steve vai and kirk hammet and there both great but from what iv read about a lot of artists, they seem to teach themselves
*votes for both and ruins everything*

Depends. Vai was taught, Clapton and Petrucci weren't to any great extent.
Best to get a teacher to start you off so you can learn correct in te start rather than floundering about trying too hard, and so your technique is correct. Once you got those skills you can learn yourself
Quote by Schnitzel_Man
I'm self-taught. Never had a lesson in my life, but I'd love to take a few. I'm sure my playing would improve a lot.

Me too. I play bass and i've never had a lesson. Would love to hav some tho, i'm sure it would really improve my technique. I think so long as you're dedicated to learning, you can progress well and discover your own style, but teachers help refine that.
I have got guitar lessons, though the most of my techniques and skills were self developed ( long live the internet ! )
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
I had lessons at the start, but my teacher dumped me, after that i taught myself, i got bored of learning all the music theory anyway, id rarther just learn off artists i like by playing their songs and picking up on their mannerisms as guitarists.
ahah yeh.... as for me I'm mainly self taught technique wise but i had a teacher which kicked me off
Quote by webbtje
*votes for both and ruins everything*

Depends. Vai was taught, Clapton and Petrucci weren't to any great extent.

Petrucci went to Berklee, after self teaching meaning he's both.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
i taught myself everything by books and the web. also i would love to take some lessons but they are just to expensive and in my town are only 1-2 teachers as far as i know. so i don`t even know if i would waste my money.
well, but i think nowadays it is much easier to teach it yourself then it was maybe 10-15 years ago. the web is a huge source for a lot of helpful things.

i also think that both techniques have their good and bad sides. teachers could limitate you and force you to do their style and learn their techniques.
a teacher helps a hell of a lot with learning
ive got a mate whos played fr 4 years or so
ive played a year and a half and i have more musical knowledge than him
im also worse than him at playing but not by to much
which is weird considering he's played for 4 years
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
I was taught bass for 4 years and then I taught myself guitar but the bass theory helped with my guitar alot
Quote by FretboardToAsh
Petrucci went to Berklee, after self teaching meaning he's both.

My bad. Probably a fair assumption he fairly knew what he was doing even before Berklee
It depends on the person and the teacher. I think a mix of both is good though.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by Anthony1991
I had lessons at the start, but my teacher dumped me, after that i taught myself, i got bored of learning all the music theory anyway, id rarther just learn off artists i like by playing their songs and picking up on their mannerisms as guitarists.

I've never known of a guitar teaching actually dropping a student (unless your at an academy or something). But yeah, I took lessons for one and a half years, and didn't really learn a lot. My teacher was a real classic rock guy and I'm more into progressive rock and metal, thrash and heavy metal and neo classical stuff. I too have picked up theory on my own and proper technique (not like in the 60's where it was a if people hadn't developed the pinky yet)

BTW, my name is also Anthony and I was born in 1991. You wouldn't be from Australia by any chance would you?
Every single guitarist called great, even hendrix was taught. Maybe not by a teacher for the whole time, and they did discover things by themselves, but they all did learn from other guitarists showing them things, which I would count as being taught. Anyway, difference is, you learn much better and quicker if you learn with a teacher.
Quote by Feel bad inc.
Every single guitarist called great, even hendrix was taught. Maybe not by a teacher for the whole time, and they did discover things by themselves, but they all did learn from other guitarists showing them things, which I would count as being taught. Anyway, difference is, you learn much better and quicker if you learn with a teacher.

If not a teacher, then just hanging around with other guitarists is a great help.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
It depends on the person and the teacher. I think a mix of both is good though.

I'm adding you as a friend cause that circumcision sig is f#$%ing funny as!

ANZAC pride btw!
Im pretty much self taught.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by Feel bad inc.

thats is a good point... I think the majority of guitarist would of learnt off watching and hanging around other guitarist... its was probably what you would call youtube today lol
IMO if you're going to be a great guitarist it doesn't matter if you have lessons or not because you're only going to be great through a hell of a lot of dedication, meaning that even if you're struggling to learn you'll carry on learning whether it's with lessons or not.
imo self teaching is win, because it's just you and your guitar. But if you teach yourself there will always be a few questions that only someone else can answer for you. So having a teacher is always a plus, yet not a necessity for succes.
i taught myself but im looking on taking lessons to improve my style
Passion Before Fashion

---------------------------------------------------------
Ibanez S470DQXM
Amp Fund 0/300
----------------------------------------------------------
Self-taught, I don't want to be told 'how' to play guitar. Sounds stubborn, but I prefer it if I wasn't pressured to do exams and learn songs.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
You have to teach YOURSELF, thats how you become better than the OTHER ONES
im taught on guitar and self taught on drums. i found after 10 years with drums i had bad technique and knew very little but the internet helps nowadays
Page 1 of 2