I need to buy a new amp. I am a fairly new player, and up until now have been content with just playing in my house so sounding amazing hasn't been a neccesity. I want to upgrade now, and need something much more powerful than my 15W GDEC amp. I want to get something loud enough for small gigs with great tone and reliability, in the 300 - 400$ range.

I would appreciate all of your suggestions, because user reviews for just about every amp i look up are so skewed on whether it's a good or bad amp i can't make up my mind. Thanks.
for $500 you can get peavey valve king 212...but for $400 you could get the 112 one.
It's more than enough.
I had my VK 212 volume's to 2 on a mid sized gig that was outside and with PA.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I like to play Zeppelin, Rage, Tool, ACDC, just to name a few.
what are people's opinions on Line 6 SpiderIII's, and any Marshall in the 400$ Price Range?
Quote by d32h9
what are people's opinions on Line 6 SpiderIII's, and any Marshall in the 400$ Price Range?

Why would you deliberatly ignore our suggestions and replace them with ****ty amps like those?

Classic 30 or Crate V32.
i use a line 6 spider III and i love it, but then again i play death metal, thrash and metal core. Honestly use this thread to more or less get suggestions, in the end to get the sound ur looking for your going to have to bring your guitar to a store that sells amps and actually try the amps first, you may find what you really like in something that noone suggested.
I'm not deliberately ignoring them, just asking a question, i've heard a lot of good and bad about almost every amp so i'm skeptical. Would a 30W be loud enough to gig?
Quote by d32h9
Would a 30W be loud enough to gig?
A 30 Watt Tube Amp? Yes. Plenty loud enough.
Tube amps seem like they're an expensive road to travel down. How often do you need to replace tubes? and how much does it cost to replace individual tubes? entire tube kits? and most of all, is it all worth it?
I need all the suggestions i can get here, please keep posting your ideas. To reiterate, i want to do small gigs but need a bigger amp with quality tone. So far i've recieved these suggested amps:

peavey valveking 112, 212
peavey classic 30
crate "V" series

i want to spend around 400, does anyone have any other suggestions? or can anyone back up some of the already suggested amps with either positive or negative comments about them? thanks a lot, i really appreciate all of your input so far and hope to see a lot more.
Classic 30 would be ideal, but your going to need some effect pedals if you want to play tool or Rage. just saying.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
if you are looking to upgrade buy tube...

...that being said, ignore anyone who has suggested the same amp that can be found in their sig. ...it's a little thing called bias. just because they like it doesn't mean you will. try out as many different tube amps in your given price range as possible and buy what sounds best to YOU. try looking around for some used deals as well. good luck
Quote by BornUnderBadSgn
if you are looking to upgrade buy tube...

...that being said, ignore anyone who has suggested the same amp that can be found in their sig. ...it's a little thing called bias. just because they like it doesn't mean you will. try out as many different tube amps in your given price range as possible and buy what sounds best to YOU. try looking around for some used deals as well. good luck

that's kind of stupid if you ask me. the whole bias thing. maybe the people who suggest amps that they have...uh play the same stuff he does? think about it, why would we recommend amps that wouldn't help him? the people who recommend amps that they have, obviously have more knowledge about them, know what they can or cannot do and their limits. it's a little thing called bias, IT'S A GOOD THING!
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
thanks for the suggestions guys, i tried out a valveking 212 yesterday and loved it, i may end up getting that along with a few pedals. I can't find a classic 30 anywhere so i can't try it out. i appreciate your suggestions, thanks again.
The VK 212 is likely more than you would need. The 112 is likely to suit you better. Still 50 watts so plenty loud, and easier to play at non-drummer volumes. I liked it when I tested one recently. The Classic 30 is a superior amp to the VK IMO, but you would have to find one used to get in the $400 range. The VK 112 is new for $399 in most places.