Do you define under learning chords just to learn how it's fingered or also the theory behind it ?
^+1
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I like to know both the finger position for it's practical use and the theory for it's application.

Shouldn't we strive to know as much as possible? I think so.
Quote by 08L1V10N
But I can't believe that the guitarist of Ramones only knows three chords

Johnny Ramone knew more than three chords. He was a much more competent guitarist than he gets credit for, that actually was the sound he was going for. He knew more than three chords.

It really depends what you want to do. If you learn the theory behind chords, you don't have to try to memorize a finger pattern for every single chord you ever want to use, because even if you have no idea how to hold it, you can figure it out pretty fast.

For example, if I wanted to play 1 (E) 5 (B) b7 (D) as a chord, which definitely is not something terribly common, I could scour around looking for a listing or I could just play (0-2-0-x-x-x) because I know the intervals and don't really need to think much about how to find them.
Quote by confusius
I like to know both the finger position for it's practical use and the theory for it's application.

Shouldn't we strive to know as much as possible? I think so.

I think so too, but being self taught and not knowing any other musicians in the area besides a drummer I cant ask anyone hey, whats the theroy behind this or that?
i consider it being both. in fact i consider it probably more theoretical knowledge than just learning the shape on the guitar. with the theoretical knowledge you can apply it to any instrument in any version/inversion (ie 1-3-5 or 5-3-1 or 3-1-5 etc etc) i can play a C in many different places on a guitar and they each have their own special uses.
In terms of guitar playing it means knowing the finger positions and being able to play them on command, in terms of theory it means knowing the intervals of a particular chord, and from that you can figure everything else out.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
When I know how a chod will sound before I play it, that's when I know a chord.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.