Hi i bought a B.C. Rich Kerry King V, and i have a little 15g Starcaster amp and i really can't afford lessons now i spent my bundle lol, i was curious Are there any dvd,cds,Book Combos that are out there i can get to help me progress i have this single book "teach yourself guitar" but it really isn't for me, Another problem i have is When i try and play tabs i get very frustrated as well my hands and eyes don't seem to get along i will be looking at the tab and i will want to play this string but miss completely are there exercises you can do but anyways I'm here to get some recommendations on good self taught techniques.
Last edited by DaveMustaineFan at Jun 25, 2008,
Break the tab up into sections and memorize them individualy(chorus, harmony, etc.), so you dont have to look at the tabs constantly.
This book has helped me tremendously. I got through it in just over a week and I'm going to start on Book 2 when it gets here from Amazon tomorrow. It teaches you how to read real music notication which IMO is better than tab, and the lessons present a great progression for a n00b. Comes with a CD to show you how the main pieces are supposed to sound.

Also, practice practice practice.
Wow guys i appreciate the fast responses they are really helpful keep them coming i want a a lot of things i can check out to see what im comfortable with.
Books? There are hundreds of websites that will teach you guitar for free... I learnt a lot from Youtube, type in guitar lessons and see the thousands of videos to choose from!

honestly i cant find anything that i used in the past that would help you i never really used books or instructional videos i just sat in front of my computer and stared at the tabbs and never gave up hope and just pushed on from there
      i would use
      youtube and Ultimate guitar
      and practice like if you don't get it someone will kill you
      Quote by I Be Andyy
      That gives you rank of -10 out of 10. You fail. Go play the flute.

----GEAR----
      Gibson voodoo sg
      Schecter hellraiser c-1 fr (07' model)
      Fender american strat
      Martin 000-28
      Peavey bandit 112
      Mesa mark 5
      Mesa stiletto 4x12
      Quote by steve-b1
      Books? There are hundreds of websites that will teach you guitar for free... I learnt a lot from Youtube, type in guitar lessons and see the thousands of videos to choose from!

True. But for some reason, I still prefer books. I've looked at tons of instructional stuff online and I've tried Jamorama (which is supposed to be one of the best online guitar courses there is), but I still keep coming back to print books.
      Quote by ZZRIDER
      True. But for some reason, I still prefer books. I've looked at tons of instructional stuff online and I've tried Jamorama (which is supposed to be one of the best online guitar courses there is), but I still keep coming back to print books.

You are going to find there are millions of ways to get from point "A" to point "B" with this instrument. The axium, "what works well for some, may not work well for others", applies.

As you have found, dexterity will be your battle for the next 12 or so months. Hang in there, use what works for you, find what your weaknesses are and concentrate on those areas. All that and reading as much as you can on-line and otherwise.

What type of music are you wanting to play?

Chris
      Last edited by RCShadow at Jun 25, 2008,
      And i was curious do i need to know musical notes to get into a real band someday or will tab get me there
      Quote by DaveMustaineFan
      And i was curious do i need to know musical notes to get into a real band someday or will tab get me there

If your language is English and you walk into a room full of Russians that do not know English, and you don't know Russian...how are you going to communicate with these people?

Chris
      Tab is great, but definitely also learn notation as it comes in handy! I was lucky as I learned to play the recorder when I was 7 so all ready new the notes. Most Tab books come with the notation above it so it's not difficult to learn.

Quote by DaveMustaineFan
          Well tab just seems to be the popular thing taking over these days thats why i asked.

I was not taking a "jab" at you...don't take it that way please. TAB is popular but for professional guys, it leaves out many of the things needed while collaberating. Timings, etc. are omitted most times with TAB.

Yes, I have seen "notes" (for time, key, etc.) in TAB and I do use TAB, but for someone wanting to be a pro, well, I wouldn't want to walk in the room with Paul Gilbert or Joe Sitrianni and have them say, "here is the sheet music for this riff but play it 1/2 step down" and me not know what to do.

If you want to be professional musician and looked upon as one...take the steps necessary to ensure your success.

Chris
          Thats a really good point shadow thank you, "here is the sheet music for this riff but play it 1/2 step down"
          I guess i wanted to be lazzy but in the end notation is probably the best outcome after all i used to play piano and i learned the notation pretty fast shouldn't be super hard to re-learn things.
          Quote by RCShadow
          You are going to find there are millions of ways to get from point "A" to point "B" with this instrument. The axium, "what works well for some, may not work well for others", applies.

Absolutely! Books just happen to work for me. It's the same in other areas. I'm a software engineer and I'd rather sit down with a print book to learn about a new technology than read online doc also.

As you have found, dexterity will be your battle for the next 12 or so months. Hang in there, use what works for you, find what your weaknesses are and concentrate on those areas. All that and reading as much as you can on-line and otherwise.

Yes dexterity and coordination is absolutely my biggest hurdle at this stage. Chords and chord transitions are my biggest weakness.

What type of music are you wanting to play?

classic and southern rock, country.
          Small world...I am in IT as well <sigh>. I forgot to mention welcome to UG and learning guitar!

Dexterity has always been the thing I have to work on the hardest since taking this up. I tried many ways but in the end, it is just repitition that makes or breaks you.

I used chromatics to overcome most of my slowness and awkwardness. I wish I had concentrated on hammer-on's and pull-off's earlier on than I did. I did get alternate picking down early so that was not so much of a battle.

I did, what seems to be, the normal route and also started learning scales (Major and Pentatonic) and that helped to get my hands coordinated and working together.

Again, welcome and I hope you the best of luck!

Chris
          I use tabs for fun.

I'm actually learning theory, and those books that you dont like, as basic as they seem is in fact a good place to start. Tabs are difficult for you cause you dont even have the basics yet.