Anyone have any good sounding clean picking patterns that work over major barre chords or power chords? I'm looking for something along the lines of the beginning of Killswitch Engage's "My Curse" or the beginning of Lifehouse's "Whatever It Takes", but "happier sounding" for major chords.

Thanks
+1 to both

just arpeggiate the chords and maybe chuck in the odd additional scale degree for embellishment
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 mark^

And try to get creative with the order you play these notes and get creative with the rhthym. Sure playing arpeggios up and down sounds good, but it is a bit.... over-used?
Thanks. I probably didn't phrase the question properly. I am arpeggiating the chords, but am looking for specific arpeggio patterns that will give a bright & happy tone. The patterns used in the two songs mentioned above are a little darker & "serious" sounding than what I'm trying to do.
I imagine that if you substituted chords from a minor progression with chords from a major one, it would sound brighter and happier. What the Edge from U2 tends to do is have a high note that he puts emphasis on by playing it more often than every other arpeggiated note.
Quote by hunter33
Thanks. I probably didn't phrase the question properly. I am arpeggiating the chords, but am looking for specific arpeggio patterns that will give a bright & happy tone. The patterns used in the two songs mentioned above are a little darker & "serious" sounding than what I'm trying to do.

No such thing. Context is vastly more important.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by hunter33
Anyone have any good sounding clean picking patterns that work over major barre chords or power chords? I'm looking for something along the lines of the beginning of Killswitch Engage's "My Curse" or the beginning of Lifehouse's "Whatever It Takes", but "happier sounding" for major chords.

Thanks

Why don't you use your ears and try to find something that sounds like the songs you mentioned. Why not learn those songs, and learn what they are doing ?

Your the artist..... its your perception that matters not ours. With art, you have to be willing to try stuff and decide for yourself if it sounds right or not. There is no recipe for "good sounding clean patterns over major barre chords and power chords"
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 25, 2008,