I've got a really short question to ask. Would 6 songs be an ep or album? If my band had 6 songs recorded would it make more sense to release them all or choose the best 4 or 5?
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Choose the best 4 or 5 call it an ep. the ep will get people interested(hopefully) then they will be like i want more. then right more music then once you have 10 or 11 call it an album.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Quote by metalminded07
Choose the best 4 or 5 call it an ep. then right more music then once you have 10 or 11 call it an album

this!

6 songs is pushing E.P a bit far imo
but its too short for an album
Top lel.
There is a legal limit, I believe if the record has between 10 and 24 (unsure about the higher boundry) minutes of airplay then it's an EP, anything below ten is a single and above is an album. I'll look it up to double check.

"In the UK, a release with more than four distinct tracks or with a playing time of more than 25 minutes is classified as an album for chart purposes."
- does that help?
EP stands for extended play
im pretty sure any thing under 27 or 30 minutes(cant remember wich one for sure)
any thing over LP
release like 5 songs and call in an ep
Quote by Kensai
It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
dont listen to these guys. do whatever you want. I think if you include EP in the name it sounds closer to a demo than an album, and i want to listen to it less. Pink floyd's wish you were here has 5 songs. It isnt called an EP, and it would sound so lame if it was.

An album is more than a collection of songs. Its supposed to be a collection of songs that belong on the same medium, under the same "idea" and should be a coherent idea. If you think the 6 songs fit together, put them all on. If one song is weak and doesnt seem like it belongs there, get rid of it. do whatever you want. Order should be important to. Bands have broken up of track listings on albums.

and i wouldnt be worrying about technically classing your album correctly. Is your album going to make it to the charts, or sell 10,000+ copies?
Last edited by flyinguitar at Jun 25, 2008,
according to wikipedia you can call anything an E.P and anything an album, there is no actual rules
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
if you really want to do something now then just take the best 4 or 5 and call it an ep, then save the other(s) for when you do an album
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
It's based on running legnth not number of songs. There are albums which only have 3 or 4 songs and E.P.s that have 6 or 7... Generally if its 25 minutes or less it should be called an E.P.
Everyone has a good point which makes it hard to decide haha. 4 songs are piano based tracks and two are guitar based tracks. 3 are upbeat and 3 aren't. I'm gunna have a hard time deciding what to do, any ideas?
Quote by druz15_UG
according to wikipedia you can call anything an E.P and anything an album, there is no actual rules

then again, it's wikipedia...

just do whatever you want.

EDIT: scrap one of the slow songs.
yeah it depends on how long the songs are, I have a double LP somewhere with only four "songs" on it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
To be honest, if you aren't sure what to put on your album, you shouldn't be producing an album just yet. I would think about it a bit, pick the songs that you do really want to put on the album, and maybe write some more that follow them up well. They definitely dont have to be all based on piano or guitar, nor should they be. Variety of sounds is good, less boring, its more just how lyrics and the music work together.

If you listen to pink floyds the wall, you will understand what i mean about songs belonging together on an album.

and number of tracks doesnt matter really. As long as you think there is enough material, and people will enjoy it, go for it.
Alice N Chains - SAP is 4 songs long and Jar of Flies is i think 6 maybe 7 and they are some of my favorates.

^Yea i hate when people make mixes of pink floyd on a cd for that reason. I dont like to hear one song by them i like to hear the whole album because it really flows. Mixing them kills it. Really good albums flow i hate randomly assembled songs that you can just tell they werent made right. Like they have to have a balld thrown in.
It all depends on how long the songs are and how long the album is.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence by DT has 6 songs and its a double album.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by JordantheAxe
I've got a really short question to ask. Would 6 songs be an ep or album? If my band had 6 songs recorded would it make more sense to release them all or choose the best 4 or 5?

I'd call it an album... I mean look at Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, and Rush's 2112.
Depends on the length of the songs.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Souls United
I'd call it an album... I mean look at Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, and Rush's 2112.

yeah but both of those albums had at least one long ass song on them and ran for like 40 minutes, if this guy plays punk or something the album could only be 20 minutes long, which is not an LP.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Before CDs happed, when albums used to be put on vinal, albums were usualy only around half an hour to 45 iminutes long, any longer than that and the grooves would have to be so close together that you would lose sound quality, which is why the double album came into play. Bands such as Rainbow made albums like 'Rising' that had four standard length songs on one side and a couple of double length epics on the other.
Then when CDs came along that could hold more information, albums started getting longer.
So yeah, 6 songs can be an album, as long as the overall recording lasts longer than around half an hour, but an hour's worth of music is generaly more accepted nowadays.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 26, 2008,
Marilyn Manson's smells like children had about 20 songs (at least 8 are over 3 minutes) and was still considered an EP
Quote by Wulver
Depends on the length of the songs.

+1, but in this day and age, most of those terms are from the vinyl/analog age...

So what you want, and if it's album quality, call it an album. If the recording quality is of a certain "lower" level, call it a demo so people don't immediately have a negative reaction to the production quality/value.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah but both of those albums had at least one long ass song on them and ran for like 40 minutes, if this guy plays punk or something the album could only be 20 minutes long, which is not an LP.

Yeah thats true...
Quote by BaffAttack
+1, but in this day and age, most of those terms are from the vinyl/analog age...

So what you want, and if it's album quality, call it an album. If the recording quality is of a certain "lower" level, call it a demo so people don't immediately have a negative reaction to the production quality/value.

I think I'll take your advice and just call it a demo because the recording quality isn't pro studio quality.
It depends how long your songs are, for example if your soongs are generally short you can have about 7-8 songs on an EP but if they are relativley long then you can only put out 3-5 songs in the same time span
Quote by flyinguitar
Pink floyd's wish you were here has 5 songs. It isnt called an EP, and it would sound so lame if it was.

pink floyd's - wish you where here goes for about 40 min...

edit: and actually it only has 4 songs, theres a part one and part two, but its the same song
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
It's kinda hard to define what exactly an album is when you think about it.
The word 'album' simply means 'a collection of,' which means if there is more than two (which would be a 'pair') of whatever item you have collected, it can be an album.
'E.P.' stands for 'extended play,' which just means it's longer than a single, it could have as many songs as you want on it, like the Marilyn Manson example that pix3lboy posted for instance.
'L.P.' (which is what albums used to be called) just stands for 'long play,' there's no mention anywhere of any minimum set time or amount of songs that makes something an L.P. or an album.
But traditionaly, an E.P. used to be a 7 inch piece of vinal with 3 or 4 songs on it. Any more songs than that on a 7 inch record and you lose quality of sound. But an E.P. used to sell for the same price as a single, so that makes it kinda like a single with bonus free tracks on it.
Of course, fitting more than four tracks on a disk is no longer a problem with digital sound and C.D.s, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the only real difference nowadays between an E.P. and an album is the presentation and the price you sell it at.
Quote by Fappy
EP stands for extended play
im pretty sure any thing under 27 or 30 minutes(cant remember wich one for sure)
any thing over LP
release like 5 songs and call in an ep

So technically, Reign in Blood is an EP?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
So technically, Reign in Blood is an EP?

Yeah. If for no other reason (in my mind) than the fact that it repeats on both sides (of the cassette )