Wow.

A friend had an extra ticket so I went to see Widespread Panic last night. The rest of the band was ok but I was absolutely blown away by their guitarist, Jimmy Herring.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but can anyone give me a basic explanation of the scales he uses in this group?

It sounds similar to what I remember of Trey Anastasio's solos with Phish.

Thanks in advance.

-James
please do your own research.

secondly, a scale doesn't make it sound like anybody specific. it's how you use the scale

******* congratulations you are the 10 billionth poster to have asked "what scales does _______ use" and get the response you got, you get an e-cookie *********
Quote by z4twenny
please do your own research.

secondly, a scale doesn't make it sound like anybody specific. it's how you use the scale

******* congratulations you are the 10 billionth poster to have asked "what scales does _______ use" and get the response you got, you get an e-cookie *********

If everyone did their own research, what would we talk about here?

I can understand your response, but please re-read the question. I did NOT ask you "How do I sound like Jimmy Herring?" I asked what kind of scales he typically uses. If it's how he uses the scales, why don't you attempt to answer that.

Are you familiar with his playing style, or just assuming it's a stupid question so it deserves a stupid answer...

I love your avatar, otherwise I'd be a little upset by your response.

Just pretend I never asked.
Quote by Nims
If everyone did their own research, what would we talk about here? :

we'd discuss questions of what they don't understand on their research.
Quote by Nims

I can understand your response, but please re-read the question. I did NOT ask you "How do I sound like Jimmy Herring?" I asked what kind of scales he typically uses.

sorry, i made the typical assumption that your question was in an attempt to get a sound like this person, again you're not the first person to ask this question and in the million before you about 999,982 were because people wanted to sound like "X guitarist"
Quote by Nims

If it's how he uses the scales, why don't you attempt to answer that.

first and foremost i don't know who this person is, secondly however i think it's important for people to look into things on their own and be self reliant when finding these things out instead of just asking someone else and getting an answer. i think getting your own answer is infinitely more rewarding. now had you asked
"in a natural minor scale why is a V-i used?" i could definitely answer that.
Quote by Nims

Are you familiar with his playing style, or just assuming it's a stupid question so it deserves a stupid answer...

not familiar with it, i don't assume it's stupid. i do however know it's a question asked about virtually every guitarist you can think of. and btw, of all the answers i could've given that was probably the nicest one i could come up with.
Why don't you try finding tabs for some of their songs. Then see what scales mr. Herring uses.

There is no hundreds of scales... Major, harmonic minor, melodic minor and their modes, chromaticism, pentatonic and blues scale are the basic and that's what 98% of guitarists use.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Yeah, odds are, from what I've heard, he uses the same scales that most guitarists use.

The best way to benefit from his playing is to transcribe it and analyze it... you'll see not only what scales he uses, but how he uses them, and you'll improve your ears as well. You don't have to try to sound like him to gain insights from his playing.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by z4twenny
we'd discuss questions of what they don't understand on their research.

sorry, i made the typical assumption that your question was in an attempt to get a sound like this person, again you're not the first person to ask this question and in the million before you about 999,982 were because people wanted to sound like "X guitarist"

first and foremost i don't know who this person is, secondly however i think it's important for people to look into things on their own and be self reliant when finding these things out instead of just asking someone else and getting an answer. i think getting your own answer is infinitely more rewarding. now had you asked
"in a natural minor scale why is a V-i used?" i could definitely answer that.

not familiar with it, i don't assume it's stupid. i do however know it's a question asked about virtually every guitarist you can think of. and btw, of all the answers i could've given that was probably the nicest one i could come up with.

I appreciate your coming back and giving some thought to it. I suppose since I'm new it's easy to assume I'm one of the million trolls that will roll through, ask a stupid question and dissapear. I have spent years on forums of other subject matter. I realized in asking this I was probably being "that guy" but I didn't have time to elaborate when I first posted.

While I'm not a theory guru, I do understand completely that I can't just play some scale and magically sound like Jimmy Herring, Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page. I should have waited until I had some more time to elaborate and then created a thread.

I saw them last night, and just wanted to start a discussion while it's fresh in my mind. When I have more time, I will certainly take some of the suggestions made regarding transposing and analyzing.

I COMPLETELY agree that this is the best way to really learn what's going on. Unfortunately I'm at work right now so I can't get into it just yet. I was hoping maybe some people were familiar with his playing style and could give me a head start.

To me, he sounds like a cross between SRV and Eric Johnson. Does that make it simple enough to answer?

I appreciate any constructive answers before and after this post.

-James "new guy who's a theory idiot, but not an idiot idiot"