Hey, I'm looking for a cheapish acoustic under about 200 dollars, but with good quality sound.
I'd prefer a solid top, and I need to know how much space there is between the soundhole and bridge.
Why? Because I'm going to be installing a Humbucker or P-90 sized electric guitar pickup into it.
I'm also going to put a 3-way switch between the soundhole pickup, and my new electric pickup.

Anything so far I need to look out for? I've only routed solid body electric guitars and I was to get a nice hybrid acoustic. I'm not going to go distorted at all due to feedback issues. Your thoughts?
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
er... why would you want to put a humbucker in? that defeats the purpose of an acoustic guitar. also, if you do end up putting in an humbucker, the G string may not be picked up properly. Electric guitars have an unwound G string whereas an acoustic has a wound G string. So unless you're putting electric guitar strings onto your acoustic(which defeats the purpose of getting an acoustic even more), it may not work as well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
er... why would you want to put a humbucker in? that defeats the purpose of an acoustic guitar. also, if you do end up putting in an humbucker, the G string may not be picked up properly. Electric guitars have an unwound G string whereas an acoustic has a wound G string. So unless you're putting electric guitar strings onto your acoustic(which defeats the purpose of getting an acoustic even more), it may not work as well.

Not a humbucker.
A humbucker-sized single coil.

And I've actually used a wound G string with the pickups I have in mind, they work fine.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by captivate
They sell electric strings with a wound G. I don't see why that would matter much anyhow.

As far as the dimensions go, that will be dependent on the individual guitar.
Well -- it'll be interesting. I think you may not need a solid top because the electronics you're planning on installing will limit the vibrations quite a bit anyway and diminish the quality of tone a lot when played acoustically. I assume though that you'll want to play it plugged in, in which case the pickup will suffice and the resonance from a laminated guitar will be picked up just as well.

My instinct tells me though that you are creating a feedback monster.

Good luck!

Edit: Bythe way, my acoustics all have about four inches from the bottom of the soundhole to the bridge. Should be plenty of room for one P-90.
Last edited by milagroso at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by milagroso
Well -- it'll be interesting. I think you may not need a solid top because the electronics you're planning on installing will limit the vibrations quite a bit anyway and diminish the quality of tone a lot when played acoustically. I assume though that you'll want to play it plugged in, in which case the pickup will suffice and the resonance from a laminated guitar will be picked up just as well.

My instinct tells me though that you are creating a feedback monster.

Good luck!

Edit: Bythe way, my acoustics all have about four inches from the bottom of the soundhole to the bridge. Should be plenty of room for one P-90.

Thanks!

This will save me some cash, then.

Yeah, when playing clean feedback isn't much of an issue.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by iAmGuitarist
YAMAHA FG700S!

I can't believe anyone hasn't said it yet...

What?

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by iAmGuitarist
YAMAHA FG700S!

I can't believe anyone hasn't said it yet...

I have that guitar and it's amazing for the price.

but the only thing i hate about it is that its kinda wide, so it leaves marks on my arm when i sit down and play.
Quote by lpmarshall
I have that guitar and it's amazing for the price.

but the only thing i hate about it is that its kinda wide, so it leaves marks on my arm when i sit down and play.

Sweet!

Quote by cobain_is_king
I can tell you right now with some certainty that it's not going to work. Have you given any thoughts as to the bracing of the soundboard and what will happen to that if you cut a hole into the guitar between the soundhole and bridge? Goodbye bracing, and along with it you'll lose tone, strength and integrity of the top. You will most likely rip the bridge off the guitar too since there won't be the required strength in that area anymore to keep it where it is. Pickup mfr's make soundhole, under saddle transducers, piezo, mics and all that for acoustics for a reason you know. Have a look at a typical Martin bracing pattern and you'll quickly see what I mean. The area that you intend on cutting into is right at the center of the big x brace, between soundhole and bridge plate. Cut into that and you might as well keep cutting the guitar up into nice small pieces, just the right size for a campfire.

Last edited by LeftyDave at Jun 26, 2008,
He could rig it like a soundhole pickup though. For some reason I didn't realize he meant he wanted to cut out a hole in the guitar for it at first (even though he pretty much says it).
Quote by Vykk Draygo
He could rig it like a soundhole pickup though. For some reason I didn't realize he meant he wanted to cut out a hole in the guitar for it at first (even though he pretty much says it).

Yeah, I guss I'll have to do it that way.
How would the sound be on the acoustic pickup with that thing in the way?

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by jimtaka

I enjoy building things.

It's like not having sex because you could adopt a kid.

Quote by cobain_is_king