Hi, I haven't played acoustic for about a week becuase of a broken string. I finally bought strings just now (Elixir Gauge 12's) and I need help. I'm on the low E string (.052 I believe? I'll check in a second) and the peg to keep the string in the bridge won't fit all the way in. I will not force it because I don't want to damage the bridge. I usually use Gauge 10's but they broke too easily.

Help: Does it matter if the peg isn't all the way in?
How can I make the peg go all the way in?

EDIT: I am now stress-eating.
Don't force it indeed, but see if the string is inside in an odd way, because the bridge pins shouldn't be a problem to take in or put out as far as I know.

EDIT: chill out man! Your guitar is fine, everyone has trouble restringing, nothing is going to happen for having a string off for a bit longer. . nothing is going to rip off and smack you in the face.
Just make sure the string is in the pin groove corrctly. The sound really won't change, but there is a possibility of the pin popping out later. If it's a cheap guitar, then force it to stay. Just make sure you can get it out later.
Quote by confusius
Don't force it indeed, but see if the string is inside in an odd way, because the bridge pins shouldn't be a problem to take in or put out as far as I know.

EDIT: chill out man! Your guitar is fine, everyone has trouble restringing, nothing is going to happen for having a string off for a bit longer. . nothing is going to rip off and smack you in the face.

I've re-strung my guitar like a billion times (not really ) and this has never been a problem. I've tried making it so just the littlest amount of string is inside the bridge and still the peg will not fit.

Does it matter what order you string? I usually work EADGBE but I decided to go EBG than to low E (and now I'm stuck).
Quote by _Ox_
Just make sure the string is in the pin groove corrctly. The sound really won't change, but there is a possibility of the pin popping out later. If it's a cheap guitar, then force it to stay. Just make sure you can get it out later.

It's actually quite a nice guitar. 30+ years old, but a very nice guitar. Yes the way I was trying to do it, the pin was in the groove.
I think you might just have fat strings. Also, Elixer has that coating on it. That might add a bit to it's diameter.