could someone put it in dummy terms for me???... i dont know any music terms or anything so i dont know much lol
Last edited by GUITARNOVICE420 at Jun 25, 2008,
music is a language . you can memorise some things , or you can understand it
Theory in basic form is know how all musical scales and notes fit together as well as being able to sight read notation. I'm no theory expert so I've probably missed something out which no doubt some uber-theory elitist will not hesitate to tell me.
Theory is basically in "dummy terms" the reasoning behind WHY certain notes and chords sound good with other notes and chords and why some don't. I don't know how to dumb it down more than that.... if anyone else does, be my guest.
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
well i guess my problem is not really fingering position but i dont know where to go next on the fretboard does theory help there?
Quote by riffer_raffer
Theory is basically in "dummy terms" the reasoning behind WHY certain notes and chords sound good with other notes and chords and why some don't. I don't know how to dumb it down more than that.... if anyone else does, be my guest.

yes yes yes thats my problem sooo i need to study some theory then.....are the summaries of thoery on ug any good to study??
Quote by GUITARNOVICE420
could someone put it in dummy terms for me???... i dont know any music terms or anything so i dont know much lol

From Wiki:

Music theory is the field of study that deals with the mechanics of music and how music works. It involves identifying patterns that govern composers' techniques. In a more general sense, music theory also often distills and analyzes the elements of music – rhythm, harmony (harmonic function), melody, structure, form, and texture. Broadly, theory may include any statement, belief, or conception of or about music (Boretz, 1995). People who study these properties are known as music theorists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

Read that and you'll have a good understanding as to WHAT it is. HOW it works is another subject.
Theory can help with that but it depends. Knowing theory doesn't automatically make you a better guitar player as it can't substitute lack of muscle memory.
Music theory is the field of study that deals with the mechanics of music and how music works. It involves identifying patterns that govern composers' techniques. In a more general sense, music theory also often distills and analyzes the elements of music – rhythm, harmony (harmonic function), melody, structure, form, and texture
Quote by alaub1491
From Wiki:

Music theory is the field of study that deals with the mechanics of music and how music works. It involves identifying patterns that govern composers' techniques. In a more general sense, music theory also often distills and analyzes the elements of music – rhythm, harmony (harmonic function), melody, structure, form, and texture. Broadly, theory may include any statement, belief, or conception of or about music (Boretz, 1995). People who study these properties are known as music theorists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

Read that and you'll have a good understanding as to WHAT it is. HOW it works is another subject.

Darn...beaten to it....well I believe I deserved it more than you.
Quote by Green RATM Day
Darn...beaten to it....well I believe I deserved it more than you.

But you see, I was more helpful as I linked to the article and explained exactly what he would find in the article.

EDIT: To the TS, there are a ton of great, easy to read books out there. Just go to your local book store and look for basic music theory or music theory on the music shelf. Read it and you'll be ahead of most of the people on this site.
Quote by alaub1491
But you see, I was more helpful as I linked to the article and explained exactly what he would find in the article.

But you see, I never mentioned anything about being more helpful, but I still deserve it more by default.

I win.

Blackhole Infinite.
there is no easy route to learning theory, you just have to start from the beginning, commit it to memory, and then learn how to apply it to actually playing.

music theory explains how and why music works. its a very, very broad spectrum of information. basically its the mechanics behind the music, and there is a LOT of it to learn. i mean a loooooott of it.

unfortunately, its just one of those things where learning it all in dummy terms just isnt enough, and it will really pay off if you put the hours in

look around for beginner theory lessons (this site has loads).
you might want to start with learning all the notes on the neck, then you can start learning scales, then start learning how to construct chords (not just what notes to play, but WHY you are playing them, and how do they relate to scales) etc, and then go wherever you want from there.

good luck
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by Green RATM Day
But you see, I never mentioned anything about being more helpful, but I still deserve it more by default.

I win.

Blackhole Infinite.

By default? And what rule says that you deserve it by default.

And oh, time machine. It defeats your black hole by rewinding to when it was merely a star.
Quote by alaub1491
By default? And what rule says that you deserve it by default.

And oh, time machine. It defeats your black hole by rewinding to when it was merely a star.

chuck norris. i win