I was wondering if anyone had any tips/exercises specifically based on improving ones pull-offs. My hammering on is fine, however my pull-offs are not as fluent or clean.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Strengthen your fingers so you have the muscle action to pull a string down and off while simultaneously fretting a lower fret. If that makes sense... a lot of people think that just taking away their finger rapidly will make a pull off. This is wrong, you have to slide your finger down and drag the string with it and then let it go, this way it makes a "picking" motion and you can actually hear the note. Just work at it, you'll get it.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
Strengthen your fingers so you have the muscle action to pull a string down and off while simultaneously fretting a lower fret. If that makes sense... a lot of people think that just taking away their finger rapidly will make a pull off. This is wrong, you have to slide your finger down and drag the string with it and then let it go, this way it makes a "picking" motion and you can actually hear the note. Just work at it, you'll get it.

Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

I don't mean to be rude, but I'd probably say I'm a pretty advanced player and I'm looking to take my pull offs to a "higher level". Your explanation of the fundamentals is accurate though, and I'm sure it will help others.

I'm after some excercises that I can spend a good few hours working on with my metronome and get my pull offs up to scratch.

Thanks again.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
^so your an advanced player trying to find out how to pull off?well il try my best.
Your problem is with the fluency of your legato, and more importantly, your pull offs?So what ruins the fluency of your pull offs, do you hit other strings while pulling off?is your pull off weak so it doesnt sound properly, think of it that way and try to narrow down the problem, as for the exercise.

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E||------------------------------------------|
B||------------------------------------------|
G||-----------------5h-6p-5------------------|
D||------------5h-6---------6p-5-------------|
A||-------5h-6-------------------6p-5--------|
E||--5h-6-----------------------------6p-5-7-|
1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 3

-------------------------------------------|
------------5h-7p-5------------------------|
-------5h-7---------7p-5-------------------|
--5h-7-------------------7p-5---------5h-8-|
------------------------------7p-5h-8------|
1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 4 1 4

-------5h-8p-5-----------------------------|
--5h-8---------8p-5-------------------6h-8-|
--------------------8p-5---------6h-8------|
-------------------------8p-6h-8-----------|
1 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 2 4 2 4 2 4

--------------------------------------------|
--------------------------------------------|
--6h-8p-6-----------------------------7h-8h-|
----------8p-6-------------------7h-8-------|
---------------8p-6---------7h-8------------|
--------------------8p-7h-8-----------------|
2 4 2 4 2 4 2 4 3 4 3 4 3 4 3 4

^Thanks go to TheShred201 for posting that.
Thats what "TheShred201" posted earlier today on a question for legato, it might help you out, its a very popular exercise as far as i know.
Haha no, I obviously know how to pull off, I'm just looking to improve it thats all.

Thanks for the post.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by sixteen times
Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

I don't mean to be rude, but I'd probably say I'm a pretty advanced player and I'm looking to take my pull offs to a "higher level". Your explanation of the fundamentals is accurate though, and I'm sure it will help others.

I'm after some excercises that I can spend a good few hours working on with my metronome and get my pull offs up to scratch.

Thanks again.

Ahhh okay..

Try pulling off every note of your scales. Set the metronome to a decent beat and just go down each of the scales you know (You can hammer them on while going up for extra practice + strength).

That's basically all I've done to work on hammerons/pull offs. I'm sure the above exercise works too!
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love

Exactly. I had trouble with pulloffs untill someone described it in this way to me.

Try on an acoustic or on clean channel to get a idea of whats really coming from you and not gain/overdrive (if your not already). If you master this technique you will sound much clearer notes then if you just pull off literaly straight away from the fretboard.

EDIT :OOPS sorry this is useless info.
hmm. try this.

e---6p5p3-----6p5p3------
B--------6p5p3-----6p5p3-
G------------------------
D------------------------
A------------------------
E------------------------

thats a part of "Bathroom Wall" by Faster Pussycat

do that lick over and over again w/o stopping
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I think these are all in "E"

e|--17p-15p-14p-12-------------------------------------------------------
b|-------------------------14b-12-----17p-15p-14p-12------------------
g|--------------------------------------------------------------14b-12-------
d|
a|
E|

e|-10p--7p--5-------5----------------------------------------
b|------------------7-----7---10p---7p-----5------5--------------
g|--------------------------------------------------7------7--------
d|-------------------------------------------------------------------
a|
E|

e|--10p---7--------------------------------------------------
b|--------------10p----7-------------------------------------
g|----------------------------9p---7--------------------------
d|--------------------------------------9p---7----------------
a|--------------------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------
Have you heard the term 'trill'. I'll describe it anyway - "a repetition of hammer ons and pull offs".

Try trilling with the:
1st and 2nd finger
2nd and 3rd finger
3rd and pinky (this ones a b1tch)

Make sure the notes sound well and clean, then get faster. I'd practice these just using adjacent frets.

Then try stretching across a couple of frets - maybe eventually get from fret 1 to 5 which you'd use the 1st and pinky).

You should try this exercise on all strings so your fingers get comfortable with the different string thicknesses.

....and the best thing of all is that when stretching across several frets, it forces you to put your thumb behind the neck - strength building is the name of the game.
Quote by sixteen times
I was wondering if anyone had any tips/exercises specifically based on improving ones pull-offs. My hammering on is fine, however my pull-offs are not as fluent or clean.

Any help would be great

Thanks

I got good at them by.............just doing them.

There is no trick to it. its like anything. practice it often and you'll be good at it.

any of the exercises listed above would be fine, or just work on a lick that utilizes the technique. Bottom line though..... you just gotta do them more often.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 26, 2008,