3.Jimmy Page
4.Zak Wylde
5.Eddie Van Halen
6.Brian May
7.Joe Walsh
8.Tonny Iommi
9.Jhon Frusciante
10.Chuck Berry

I made this list just because i saw the Rolling Stone magazine list, Slash wasnt in the top 100s, Van Halen was the 70th something and a lot more things that frustrated me, so i think that when you say that jimmy hendrix, jimmy page, slash, van halen and all those guitarists are the best it stops being an opinion and becomes more like a fact.
So, what do you think?

Here is the Rolling Stone list:
http://forums.dvdfile.com/make-mine-music/39176-rolling-stones-100-greatest-guitar-players.html
Last edited by actaderock at Jun 25, 2008,
I think that this is subjective and that not all people will agree. No offence intended.
"What was that?! *Sigh.* Here, hold my 'I Can't believe I'm Helping You' pie and watch this...."
you mean your favorite or the best?
its what you define as good
personally i find slash, who repeats the same a minor penatonic licks just as boring as shedders who hit the same 968450 notes in a second, and just as boring as those metalcore bands that just scream and chug e...so everyone looks at things differently
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Clapton?
Switzerland is small and neutral! We are more like Germany, ambitious and misunderstood!
i know im gonna get slammed for this but how bout synyster gates?
have you heard the man solo?
Gear:
Samick MB-200 (strat ripoff)
Crate FlexWave 65
Epiphone EB-0 bass
Fender Rumble 15
Boss OS-2
Keep in mind this is subjective everyone. There's no way to define the "best" guitarists. A better question should be what are your favorite guitarists.
I'm my own favorite guitar player obviously. I can play all those guys' solos with one finger.
that list is a favorites list or a classics list. there should be a separate list for every genre.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
just some things

1. its jimi not jimmy
2.where's kirk hammett (i dont worship metallica but he is amazing)
3. slash deff. shouldnt be number 2 more like 11th.
4. hendrix shouldnt be first it should be page
5. iommi all the way down at 8th? he's the father of metal

so fix the list
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
No way is Zakk Wylde fourth.

WHERE ARE ERIC CLAPTON AND SRV?!?
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Alright, you have to go based on talent, not how there songs sounded. In my opinion you cant rate the the top ten because they are all amzing, these are my top ten in no particular order.

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Slash
Eddie Van Halen
Steve Vai
Eric Clapton
Randy Rhoads
Chuck Berry
Joe Perry (underated)
Brian May
ACDC/ZEPPELIN OUT!
Quote by MrTin
am I the only one who thinks that James Hetfield is a far better guitar player than Hammet? Maybe not in speed, but in songwriting and originality etc

i see what you're saying, its true hammett may have fingers of fury but hetfield feels the music
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
my 10 favorites in no order are
Randy Rhoads
Synyster Gates
Joe Perry
Slash
Zakk Wylde
Matt Heafy
Angus Young
Jimmy Page
James Hetfield
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
In terms of technical ability/skill?

Jason Becker
Rusty Cooley
Shawn Lane
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Michael Angelo Batio
Chris Broderick
Mattias IA Eklundh
*Honorable mention: Buckethead

Favorite guitarists?

Tony Iommi
Mikael Akerfeldt
Jason Becker
Chris Broderick
Marty Friedman
Eric Johnson
Chuck Schuldiner
Paul Masvidal
Ville Friman
Adrian Smith
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by actaderock
This has been a complain, but i think this is the list:

1.Jimmy Hendrix
2.Slash
3.Jimmy Page
4.Zak Wylde
5.Eddie Van Halen
6.Brian May
7.Joe Walsh
8.Tonny Iommi
9.Jhon Frusciante
10.Chuck Berry

I made this list just because i saw the Rolling Stone magazine list, Slash wasnt in the top 100s, Van Halen was the 70th something and a lot more things that frustrated me, so i think that when you say that jimmy hendrix, jimmy page, slash, van halen and all those guitarists are the best it stops being an opinion and becomes more like a fact.
So, what do you think?

Here is the Rolling Stone list:
http://forums.dvdfile.com/make-mine-music/39176-rolling-stones-100-greatest-guitar-players.html

There is good reason Slash wasn't in the top 100, let alone the top 10. Along some of the other ones. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but the best

Those are all pretty mainstream choices as well. I'm sure there are some lesser known/instrumental players who are better than some of the obvious ones.
Jason Becker is definitely one of the best guitarists ive heard. Not only is he a very fast player, but in alot of his songs he puts so much emotion into them, he doesnt just shred as fast as he can all the time like alot of other guitarists try to do. instead he plays stuff that is enjoyable to listen to but still uses his speed when its necessary.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
And I know we're in "Electric Guitar" but if you truly want to know the best you can't leave out classical players either.
Quote by Burning_Angel
In terms of technical ability/skill?

Jason Becker
Rusty Cooley
Shawn Lane
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Michael Angelo Batio
Chris Broderick
Yngwie Malmsteen

Favorite guitarists?

Tony Iommi
Mikael Akerfeldt
Jason Becker
Chris Broderick
Marty Friedman
Eric Johnson
Chuck Schuldiner
Paul Masvidal
Ville Friman
Adrian Smith

99% agree.

Put John Petrucci in there and we're at 100%
More UltraMatic than you.
Quote by UltraMatic4
99% agree.

Put John Petrucci in there and we're at 100%

Petrucci's good, but I really detest Dream Theatre, and havent yet bothered checking out Liquid Tension Experiment, so I cant have an honest opinion of him.

Also! I have to replace Yngwie with Mattias IA Eklundh *scolds self for forgetting IA*.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by guitarheroII
first of all, Jimmy Page is first. Jimi hendrix's songs sound the same

Yeah, stealing the songs of old bluesmen is much more creative.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
You can't have just 10...

Clapton, BB King, SRV, Hendrix all need to be somewhere in the top 10. After that, it's too hard to pick.
Ok another rubbish thread thats been done many times before.

There is no setlist of the 10 best guitarists of all time because guitar playing can differ so much. You have BB King and SRV who are blues and you have dimebag and other guys who are metal. The genres and playing is just too different. Its like comparing a 100m runner to a marathon runner, they are both "runners" but do such different events.
If you are gonna start a thread like this call it your ten favourite guitarists
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Quote by GuitarManDan15
Ok another rubbish thread thats been done many times before.

There is no setlist of the 10 best guitarists of all time because guitar playing can differ so much. You have BB King and SRV who are blues and you have dimebag and other guys who are metal. The genres and playing is just too different. Its like comparing a 100m runner to a marathon runner, they are both "runners" but do such different events.
If you are gonna start a thread like this call it your ten favourite guitarists

I agree. There are way too many guitarists who fall into way too many different genres for there to be an overall "best" list.

One would have to categorize each list by genre - and even then they'd be heavily contested and would fall upon opinion because not everyone is capable of agreeing on the "best".
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you were saying best guitarists, if it was TRUE fact, most of it would be classical guitar players.

If it was favourite, there's nothing wrong with the top 10.

But yeah.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
1. Jeff Loomis
2. John Petrucci
3. Dino
4. Chris Broderick
5. Steve Vai
6. Marty Friedman
7. Paul Gilbert
8. Van Halen (obv)
9. Shawn Lane
10. Jason Becker

In no specific order, sometimes they have their days.
In before Synister Gates (Hopefully). Also, IWank7Sevens' list is the closest to my favorite one so far.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Page 1 of 2