..By Tuesday.
I'm a guitar player and don't know very much about bass. My uncle asked me to play a small outdoor gig with him because the regular bassist will be working.
I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to pull it off but since I know pretty much nothing about bass it probably won't be that easy. I was just planning on watching the guitar player and following him.
Anyone have any tips on how I could make this easier?
BTW, it's nothing crazy that I'll be playing, mostly Newfie music
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
You could play some nirvana maybe? Isn't 30 songs a little bit too much :P If you like Chili Peppers maybe you could play Snow (Hey Oh) or something
personally, i would find out the songs that you guys are gonna play and just try to learn them all or just get a feel of what you are suppose to play.
Find the rythm in the songs...bass really isn't that hard if you have good rythm. Even if you're not in the same key, just have the sound man turn down the bass so the crowd feels it but can't hear it very well. :P
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
That's no mean feat. Your uncle would've been better off asking several people to fill in slots, to cut down on the amount of songs needed to learn. Learning the songs is all well and good, but you need to be TIGHT as well, which is going to take a lot longer than 6 days.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's no mean feat. Your uncle would've been better off asking several people to fill in slots, to cut down on the amount of songs needed to learn. Learning the songs is all well and good, but you need to be TIGHT as well, which is going to take a lot longer than 6 days.

Herculean feat is more like it. My advice is to keep the bass lines simple and clean and really listen to the kick drum. You should be landing a bass note 95% of the time with the kick drum.

As Ben has said, playing the notes is all well and good, but its being tight and locked with the rest of the rhythm section that is the challenge. The problem is that, if you are even slightly off, its going to be noticeable and sound sloppy because you and the drummer will be constantly trying to slow down or speed up to compensate.
I wish I had to do something challenging like that. My band's repertoire is beginning to feel a bit boring. Anyhooo, I would just like to wish you good luck
theres pretty much no way youd be able to memorize 30 songs in that amount of time. But, since you play guitar, if you can tell what key the song is in youll be all set. assuming you know scales, just play them, and if you don't know scales, learn them, and when youre playing them, if they dont sound good jus go back to the faithful old root note =]
Root & fifth will get you out of trouble if you get stuck.
I do this regularly. I don't even learn songs so often anymore, I just make a new bassline.

After a while, you become excellent at this.

however, you are not a bass player, so on songs you don't know, remember to connect the drums with the guitar. think rythym. use one note like it is a chord, and avoid bends and fancy slap technique for now.

in fact, I would suggest using a pick for now.

practice muting.

and have fun. that's why people play instruments, to have fun!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
don't opt out, it's not like your playing to a packed stadium, and if you know what key everything's in, you can't do too horribly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Definitely dont opt out im sorry i have no advice but make sure and let us know how you get on man, good luck!!
its gonna be fun whether or not you play well, just do your best learn the songs as best you can and follow the guitar player, I'm sure it will be fine
hey man nice to see a fellow newfie lurking around on ug and just play the root notes man, dont mess around with too much scales and such, newfie basslines arent complex
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Newfoundland has it's own uncomplex genre?

no its just that most newfoundland songs rely heavily on vocals, accordion and such. lots of traditional newfoundland bands dont even have bass and the ones who do usually just have the bassist playing root notes
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
if the guitarists play them power chords, just play the root note of the chord

and don't be afraid to improvise
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
I would just write down the chord changes for all the songs and improvise walking basslines or root and fifths.