Ok, since the Peavey xxx was the choice for me from another thread i made, i recently saw a Mesa near me unlike the xxx which is very far away. Would you say that the Mesa F-50 is better amp overall, i love the cleans from video i have seen but the gain i am not sure of. Can it do metal, like the Peavey xxx? Am i better of with the xxx? Is it worth $700? Or just wait for a Mark IV $1000, though as i said i don't gig yet.

Geez!!!So hard to choice, either get an amp around $400 then maybe upgrade to Mark IV, or go all out and get the Mark IV. This is very confusing, especially when i have the money because of graduation donations .
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Haha, funny comment on mesa "balls out"

Hmmm, well i am not really desparate to get an amp since i don't gig, so maybe i might wait for a Mark IV. But the peavey and the mesa f-50 do sound good to me. Peavey $350, Mesa maybe $500. So i don't know right now
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
To be honest even when you do gig the Peavey or F-50 will both be fine... Are you able to try out the amps?
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
TBH The Peavey has the edge here as far as veratilty goes, its more like a Dual Rectifier class with its 3 channels. I would go with the Peavey they are awesome and you are going to be getting a much more veratile amp that sounds equally as good as well.
TBH The Peavey has the edge here as far as veratilty goes, its more like a Dual Rectifier class with its 3 channels. I would go with the Peavey they are awesome and you are going to be getting a much more veratile amp that sounds equally as good as well.
Quote by Johnbryant

I disagree, the F series are VERY versatile. I'd say they're capable of getting more tones than a XXX, but that's just me.

TS, out of those two, my choice would be the F-50.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ What I refering to was the addition on a second OD Channel on the XXX, it can have a tottal different tone with one stomp, just like a Dual Rectifier, now the F-50 on the other hand can get a lot of different tones as well, but once its set, thats the only tone you are going to use in a show without changing your amp settings.
I used to own a xxx 212 combo and now own an f 50 combo. Definately go for the f 50 it blows the peavey out of the water in all genres. I play hard rock and older metal and never have the gain past 5 without the countour. With the countour it can get very heavy especially with an overdrive.
Last edited by PeavyXXXman at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by Johnbryant
^ What I refering to was the addition on a second OD Channel on the XXX, it can have a tottal different tone with one stomp, just like a Dual Rectifier, now the F-50 on the other hand can get a lot of different tones as well, but once its set, thats the only tone you are going to use in a show without changing your amp settings.

True, but from the looks of it, the TS probably only needs a clean channel and gain channel. Plus, you can always roll back your volume knob if you need less gain.

I have a Mark IV and play A LOT of different stuff and honestly can't find any use for the R2 channel as I can get everything I need from 2 channels.

Plus... F-50 > Dual Recto anyday imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Its funny how people taste are different, I think the dual rectifier a hell of an amp to say the least.
Mark IV
Every clip I've heard of the XXX sounds terrible, but that is probably the people. Wayyyyy too much gain and scooped mids. Yucky
Quote by Johnbryant
Its funny how people taste are different, I think the dual rectifier a hell of an amp to say the least.

The only way they sound good is if you turn them up way loud. Plus their low-end is flabby as hell. The Single is tighter than the Dual/Triple, but if you want the Recto sound, the Rect-O-Verb is 20x better imo, and cheaper
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mcrfobtai
Mark IV
Every clip I've heard of the XXX sounds terrible, but that is probably the people. Wayyyyy too much gain and scooped mids. Yucky

Yeah way to many people set them up that way, they have the potential to really be awesome when EQ'd properly.
Wow so many mix opinion.

As for the guy who ask if i have tried them, its no because both are discontinue and GC don't have them. The drive is far for the xxx the drive for the f 50 is about 10-20 miles. I will try the head of the xxx though to make sure i like it. If not i probably get the f-50. Hope is not as fizzy as i see in the video.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
it's only "fizzy" with the gain set past 12 o'clock-,...and with the gain at 12 o'clock it will have more gain than the mesa,...i was orginally going to buy a stilletto,..but instead i tried everything in every store in town....and i choose the xxx,...and am glad i did!!..saved alot of money too!

you got the very best advice you could get,..try both of them,...bring your guitar and cab( if that's possible)

WHATEVER YA DO!!!..DONT BUY SOMETHING BASED ON SOMEONES OPINION ON U.G.!...DONT BUY ANYTHING TO IMPRESS OTHER GUITARIST,...DONT BE A SHEEP!
^That's true, well its going to be far for the Peavey xxx
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
go for the Mark IV or you could wait for the Mark V because the Mark IV is discontinued, but then again that makes used Mark IV cheaper and stores wanna clear out Mark IVs so price cuts. I'm a fender amp fan but Mesa's are capable of many tones especially the Mark IV.
^true man, but i heard Mark V is going to be a downgrade? I heard

But if the peavey should i can make is like this, i mean wow, forget the Mark IV and get his cheap , though i am concern of the clean... I will ask for a clean demo from this guy

http://www.youtube.com/user/axslinger86

Peavey XXX Crunch w/eq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZJTOUhCaI8

Peavey XXX ultra w/eq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1cuYGWK3sM&feature=related

Peavey XXX Ultra & Crunch w/Wylde Wah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM1ebUhp4FE&feature=related

EDIT: Cleans are good here, and cruch and ultra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59aONX6Tx7I&feature=related
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Last edited by angeldef at Jun 25, 2008,
Quote by MatrixClaw
The only way they sound good is if you turn them up way loud. Plus their low-end is flabby as hell. The Single is tighter than the Dual/Triple, but if you want the Recto sound, the Rect-O-Verb is 20x better imo, and cheaper

i have both a dual and a rectoverb. The dual slays the rectoverb. It has more options, exactly the same clean channel, and a better hi-gain channel. The rectoverb is more aimed towards hard rock. The only thing a rectoverb has that the dual doesn't is reverb. Also the dual doesn't need to be turned up way loud to sound good, in fact it sounded much better than the rectoverb at lower volumes. A rectoverb or single rectifier is a much better amp than a xxx or f-50 though. I played an f-50 and wasn't impressed at all! The hi gain channel sounded horrible imo.
Dual > single > f-50

where is mr. f series man himself...
kevin saale! lol
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1

The XXX is really a love it or hate it amp, and I'm more in the latter camp. The F-50, to me, is a great amp. Terrific cleans, and a nice thick overdrive. The rumor was that Mesa discontinued the F series because it was cutting into sales of their higher priced Rectos. I believe it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^Wow, never heard that rumor. But IMO it does lack in the metal side, well my type of metal that i want to play e.g. Pantera, WALK. But i just love the clean and the rock to hard rock sound it can get. I am going to the XXX guy today near tustin and going to give it a go, hopefully i don't hate it but instead love it. Because i don't really want to spend $700 for an amp right now if its now a Mark IV, but $300-350 is a good range for me right now because i am not gigging yet.

Thanx for the help, and i will let you guys know how it turns out.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Dang, I wish I had seen an xxx for that cheap before i got my palomino. I've got gas for an xxx now.

I'd still prefer an f-50 over the xxx though.