Well I'm ampless for a while and the only way to play is through my computer. I've been using Garageband's built in distortion effect but they sound like it should be called Garbageband ( ). Anyways, I was wondering if there was any decent programs that I could use to get a better tone through my computer?
Amplitube is the best idea.

Also, for tone issues, how are you hooking into your mac?
dont line in to mac. get a usb interface. the grageband will actually sound ok with that. and amplitube will sound even better.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
dont line in to mac. get a usb interface. the grageband will actually sound ok with that. and amplitube will sound even better.

That's what I'm trying to figure out--how he's connecting it. A line-in isn't going to cut it tone wise, plus you're not going to be able to monitor very well via the software.

Check out a USB interface from M-Audio. I use a cheap Fastrack model and it works very well. Make sure w/e you buy has hardware(direct) monitoring.
Actually I "LINE-IN" on my G5 Imac... the Imac's have a pre-amp built-in to them. The laptops don't. I owned a Fasttrack, and also an AUDIO BUDDY but found I didn't need them as the sound on LINE-IN is great on an Imac. I use Amplitube 2 (Hendrix & Metal too) and also Guitar Rig 3 - they all work great but usually use Guitar Amp Pro built-in to Logic Studio 8.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!