7 22%
DiMarzio Super Distortion
3 9%
DiMarzio Drop Sonic
1 3%
Duncan Alnico 2
0 0%
Voters: 32.
What Pickup should i get for my Gibson SG? i am looking for a good Hard Rock/Metal Sound and don't want any active pickups. what do u guys recommend?
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
well, its either the marshall or my line 6 that sux. and anyway i just want my notes and pinch harmonics to be more defined.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by jscustomguitars
Emg 81

OP says no active pickups

I have a DiMarzio D Sonic in my bridge position. I think its great, nice tone clean or distorted, all around awesome.
I'd go with the Duncan SH6 Superdistortion, but I personally like the 490T that comes in the SG. :/
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Thnx i will definitely consider.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
well, its either the marshall or my line 6 that sux. and anyway i just want my notes and pinch harmonics to be more defined.

Turn up your treble and a bit of mids, and work on your technique. You're barely going to notice a difference with your amp.

When it comes to pinch harmonics, proper technique is more important than pickups. I can do great pinches on my vintage output Strat.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Turn up your treble and a bit of mids, and work on your technique. You're barely going to notice a difference with your amp.

When it comes to pinch harmonics, proper technique is more important than pickups. I can do great pinches on my vintage output Strat.

i can do great pinch harmonics however i think it would sound much better with some high out put pups rather than the vintage sg pups
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think so. Just keep your money, maybe save up for a better amp, sir. You're wasting your money here.
Just dial in some more treble and gain. That'll help for now.

I mean, what does your Gibson have in the bridge right now? A 498T? That's already a hot pickup.

it has a 490t which isn't very hot. for now it gets the job done. and anyway, my treble is always on 9 and my gain is always on 10 (for metal).
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
490t isnt hot at all- i like it cause i play bluesyer stuff, but for metal, no. JB ftw.

EDIT: and its not vintage either, gibson even lists it as a modern style pup

and valvestate??? arghhhhhh........JCM! JVM! MODERN CLASSIC! SOMETHING ALL TUBE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Considering Lamb of God use Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59's for their guitars, which are vintage output pickups, I think the 490T should work fine.

yeah....i personally dont care as long as it sounds good
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by forsaknazrael
I suppose the 490T isn't that hot, but it's certainly not "vintage output" from what I know.

Still think new pickups will make a minimal difference here. The newer Valvestate amps are terrible, IMO.

its like a 1999 valvestate
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
but its still a valvestate, which means it isnt all tube, which wont sound as good as all tube.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
ahhh yes....a fellow sg man!!

dont listen to that mindless sheep forsaknazrael or any of the many other sheep on this forum just like him,..see,...they think that this is like high school..and by putting you and your equipment down...he thinks it makes him fit in better,..he thinks hes one of the cool kidz now!....but what he dosent know is..he is setting himself up for failure,...because his success and pleasure from playing guitar will always be a competition for him and the sheep,...

i have had the following pick ups in my sg (bridge)
-stock 490-..liked it..very good for just about everything
-invader-good pickup...too high voiced for my liking thou.
-drop sonic-loved it,...and i kept turning it around (blade side to bridge,..then blade side to neck)..everytime i changed the strings...and i would swear it was going to stay like that,..until the next string change,...

no matter what amp u have,...a pick up change is a significant tone change.

rock on sg brother
Quote by jessexxx
dont listen to that mindless sheep forsaknazrael or any of the many other sheep on this forum just like him,..see,...they think that this is like high school..and by putting you and your equipment down...he thinks it makes him fit in better,..he thinks hes one of the cool kidz now!....but what he dosent know is..he is setting himself up for failure,...because his success and pleasure from playing guitar will always be a competition for him and the sheep,...

Mindless sheep? Really?
Who's putting equipment down? EMGs are designed to drive a tube amp hard - that's the truth. They would be a bad investment in an AVT. AVT's aren't really good at anything, in the first place, they're not a good amp.

Quote by jessexxx

Not really. Pickups are not as big a part of the tonal equation as you seem to think.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
but its still a valvestate, which means it isnt all tube, which wont sound as good as all tube.

i agree i just don't have that kind of money
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by jessexxx
ahhh yes....a fellow sg man!!

i have had the following pick ups in my sg (bridge)
-stock 490-..liked it..very good for just about everything
-invader-good pickup...too high voiced for my liking thou.
-drop sonic-loved it,...and i kept turning it around (blade side to bridge,..then blade side to neck)..everytime i changed the strings...and i would swear it was going to stay like that,..until the next string change,...

rock on sg brother

thank you
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
i agree i just don't have that kind of money

neither do i so i shouldnt be talkin....i wish i could afford an all tube marshall though

and SGs ftw!!!!!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Is it the AVT valvestate or the original Valvestates like what Chuck Schuldiner played?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores